Do Norfolk Southern or CSX run their NRE Gensets singly?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Hello there.


For some reason I feel my question is odd, but.........:o

I'm planning on purchasing another locomotive for my layout and my budget is enough to purchase one Atlas Trainman NRE Genset.

I'm trying to be somewhat realistic in operation to the prototype, (I'm modeling a generic branch line in the mid-eastern region of USA, Norfolk Southern and/or CSXT).

What I like to know is if NS and/or CSX run their NRE Gensets singly (the only locomotive powering the train) or are there always 2 or more locomotives (either lashed to another NRE Genset or another type of locomotive)?

I'm refering to branch line, short trains. Not main line long ones.

The replies to this question will help me decide if to purchase a Atlas NRE Genset or another type of medium horse power NS or CSX locomotive.


Thanks in advance!


Diesel-Electric.
 
Most definitely the railroads run the Gensets by it self, specially on short cuts of cars.

I also use my Genset for switching in the yard, at sidings, etc.

So go for it I say it's totally prototypical.
 
Hello there!


Thanks for the info Motley! And thanks cv_acr for those pictures.

cv_acr, I'm being trying to find some pictures of NS and CSX NRE Genset pulling a train singly with no luck. Although found that California Northern RR does seem to use them a lot singly for their short trains. So thanks!

BTW, is their anything I should look out for with the Trainman NRE Genset. How good are they? Are they good value for money? It is a very big investment for me due to the dollar rate and that I have to import it and pay import duties and taxes. Like to know!


Thanks again, appreciate it! :)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top