ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Well I started working on the shoreline with the tide out today. I like the texture so far. The first shot is in natural light and the second in artificial. The colour and tones in the second shot is close to what I want to achieve on this diorama.
The shore line/pebbled beach is coming along. It currently soaking in a mix of white glue 1 part to 3 parts water. It will be a lot lighter tomorrow, but I'm colouring it anyway to depict a thin coat of mud over it.
Thanks. I'm now researching what seaweed looks like on the north east coasts. Also ways on how to model it. Might not have seaweed on this diorama, but will on a layout in the future.
Well I did my first colour wash over my shore line today to bring out some detail and after a few minutes I realized my wash was made with a mix of Witch Hazel instead of alcohol. I hope there is no negative outcome. I must learn to read labels!
I'm now finished with the beach/shore in regards to colour washing it and sealing it.
Later I will make the lower darker areas in the foreground wet looking.
I'm taking a break from working on colouring and dry brushing the riprap.
I'm going to start to add plates soon to the rails and paint them and the rails then get on with ballasting. After that will probably dry brush the riprap to make it lighter. In the meantime, still researching on ways to make seaweed for the tideline area. Also have to find out how far apart the rail plates should be.
Does anyone know if Pledge with Future in it is good for modelling shallow puddles? That's all I can find around here.
Bak then it should have been 39' lengths, to fit into 40' cars.
When we cut CWR rail for salvage we still cut it 39'.
Of course there would be variations I'm sure.
Thank you Rico and Waltr. I marked my rails tonight. Now I have to cut the plates from the sprue. I didn't know they [Details West] were actually made out of metal. I probably should glue them on the rails with CA?
Too warm to work on the diorama today so I've been experimenting with different materials in order to create a wrack line on the shore. I'm going for this look.
I'm holding off on the rail plates because I don't like how they fit. I ordered a package of code 55 to see if they are going to fit better.
Today I painted the ties various shades of brown and several dark to depict newer ties. They're a tad shinny, but a little weathering, dullcote and ballasting will fix that. As soon as I get some plates I like, I'll start painting the rails. After that I'll start ballasting.