Digitrax vs. NCE USB Adapter

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Nscale

New Member
I'm thinking about getting either a Digitrax or NCE DCC system, and I plan on getting the USB interface so that I can control the system from my computer using JMRI. While both Digitrax and NCE offer a USB interface, I've read that the NCE USB interface does have some limitations. Here's a snippet from the JMRI website regarding the NCE USB interface:

The NCE USB Interface doesn't support all of the current JMRI features and functions. Some of the restrictions are based on the type of system the USB Adapter is connected to. The USB can't get information from AIUs, so they can't be used to get feedback from the layout. The turnout feedback mode MONITORING isn't available when using a USB, and the Clock functions found in tools are also not available. The USB when connected to a Power Pro system doesn't support any type of loco programming, and when connected to a SB3 only operation mode (no program track) is available for loco programming. Most functions and features that are not supported by the NCE USB Interface are disabled or grayed out in the JMRI program.

I'm pretty new to DCC control, so I was curious if someone might be able to explain this limitation in plain english to me. I do hope to eventually use stationary decoders to control turnouts, so limitations with respect to turnout control are definitely a consideration when weighing my options.

Also, I assume I couldn't use a Digitrax USB interface with a NCE system, or vice versa, correct?

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help!
 
I would suggest you join the NCE list over on Yahoo. There are plenty of techies over there who can answer these questions. There is also a Digitrax users group there who can answer the same questions about the Digitrax stuff
 
Can't you PC handle a serial data link?
Avoid the USB altogether?
That how I got mine hooked up, works like a charm!:D
 


If you've got a newer laptop pc, they don't HAVE serial ports. (And try to find Winterm in the VISTA operating system!)
 
See, technology can be your friend!! Sometimes not so much...sometimes folks that live on the cutting edge of technology get cut themselves!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
 
If you get the Digitrax one, RR CirKits makes a product called a LocoBuffer that uses USB. It is made specifically for Digitrax, and costs less than Digitrax's PR3. It's plug and play, no external power supply needed.
 
If you've got a newer laptop pc, they don't HAVE serial ports. (And try to find Winterm in the VISTA operating system!)

Actually that's not true, I'm in the PC business and we constantly have clients requiring a serial port on their new laptops, they do exist.
 
I know that at the club, we are in the process of setting up signalling and so forth and that our NCE PowerPro system is/will be connected to a computer. As to what limitations there are and what the NCE system will or will not do, I can't say. I do know that Bruce Chubb controls just about everything on his layout with a computer, and his DCC system is NCE.

For myself, I spend 40+ hours a week at my computer. I prefer NOT to have a computer be a necessary part of my model railroading experience. YMMV :D
 
It depends on what NCE setup you have, if you have a SB3a attached then you can only program 3 CV's at a time when programming on the mainline program. Also you can not read CV's while a SB3a is in the loop, but removing it will allow you to.

Here is my video of my setup. I really the setup, just takes a little getting used to it, but once you do, you will not be able to live without it. The programming and saving all your loco CV's is so easy with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVUHy5OJjcU&list=UUyhJdgqPBXQED9Xv2EJSSzw&index=6&feature=plcp

Any questions just ask.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you get the Digitrax one, RR CirKits makes a product called a LocoBuffer that uses USB. It is made specifically for Digitrax, and costs less than Digitrax's PR3. It's plug and play, no external power supply needed.

I had one until the 80' pine tree in my back yard sustained a direct lightening hit back in August. It also took out my DCS-100, and my DT-400! I was lucky that I had acquired a DCS-200, and 2 DT-400R's from a friend that was leaving the hobby. I also got his PR-3. That took care of that!

One of these days I'm gonna send them both off to be repaired.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top