When you push the "prog" button, you will be able to scroll through the different programming methods by repeatedly pushing that button. You will get four choices. I usually use ops mode, and you can select the engine you want to program by pushing the prog button until the engine number shows up on your throttle. (YMMV, I am using a DT402 throttle) You change the CV you want to change with the left knob, and change the value of the cv with the right knob. When you get the value you want, push the enter button. When you're done, push the exit button.
You can change a lot of things about the decoder using this, starting with the engine number, acceleration and deceleration, lighting effect, and what the decoder will do if it is placed on DC track.
Sound value changes depend on what sound decoder you have, and you can change sound volumes, and what the sounds do when you operate the engine. I can get pretty much as technical as you would like as far as what does what, just let me know how "deep" you want to go. Just don't ask me about hexadecimal settings...