ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
The closest hobby shop is over 100 miles away, and not well stocked for guys that like to detail their locomotives. This is one part of the hobby I am attracted to. Where do you guys shop on-line to get detail parts like Cannon, Details West, and Detail Associates, that have a good in-stock and fast shipping policy and take Paypal? I have run into on-line stores that say they have stock and then you sit and wait for back orders because they don't have what I need in stock. Right now Cannon & Company parts seem to be hard to find in stock anywhere, especially High Hood kits.
IIRC, Cannon is owned by the same folks that own Bowser/Stewart, and they are the same people that own Toy Train Heaven. So if anybody has Cannon stuff in stock, it should be TTH.
If it came down to it, I think you could also buy direct from Details West (haven't tried that yet, though).
Slightly off topic, but if you're somewhat of a novice in diesel detailing (like I am), check out the new Kalmbach book "Model Railroader's Guide to Detailing Diesel Locomotives." I just got my copy the other day, and it is faaaan-tastic!