designing a intermodal free-mo module

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I would think a good intermodal yard needs to also depend on the length of stack trains you run. Which IMO, short stack trains dont look right but thats just my opinion and space isnt always available to run long trains like that.

Anyways, if the imtermodal facility isnt big enough to handle these long trains then you end up dissassembling a train that has the potential of sticking out into a main line or blocking other tracks and creating problems. That is if one was using thier layout to operate. I would certainly suggest a good sized siding or storage track to help keep these cars off mains and other spurs serving other businesses out the layout.

My HO scale Intermodal Yard is 16ft long & 34" wide.

Do you have any pictures?
 
I would think a good intermodal yard needs to also depend on the length of stack trains you run. Which IMO, short stack trains dont look right but thats just my opinion and space isnt always available to run long trains like that.

Anyways, if the imtermodal facility isnt big enough to handle these long trains then you end up dissassembling a train that has the potential of sticking out into a main line or blocking other tracks and creating problems. That is if one was using thier layout to operate. I would certainly suggest a good sized siding or storage track to help keep these cars off mains and other spurs serving other businesses out the layout.



Do you have any pictures?


You are right about a intermodal yard needs to be long and that's whay I felt like free-mo ws the way to go for this. I can keep adding on modules as I go and the yard can grow to a size that will work out well. I'll be sure to start a posting when I start the building of it.

Lary,
I would like to see some photos of your layout as well.
Thanks,
Dave
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top