ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I installed an MRC 1955 sound decoder in an N scale Atlas GP30. Sounds work fine, lights work fine, loco won't move? Side of the frame gets quite hot. This is not my first rodeo I have installed several decoders and the motor contacts are making connection with the decoder appropriately. Please spare me the MRC bashing I know their reputation but they have the best selection of sound decoders for N scale.
loco won't move? Side of the frame gets quite hot. .... the motor contacts are making connection with the decoder appropriately.
Have you measured the output of the decoder with a volt meter? I mean have you isolated the problem to either the motor or the decoder?
I have not. However, I have been using the loco for some time in DC and the motor was quiet and smooth.
Something is jammed into a gear or maybe between the motor and the motor frame. I once had the motor brush cap come off then I pushed it back in and the brush was caught at a weird angle and broke off. Had the same problem as you until I replaced it.
Is anything shorting to the frame or the motor? Most decoders have a motor isolation feature where if it sees that the motor or pickups are shorted, the decoder will not try to run the motor to prevent blowing the decoder.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)