ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Quite a few years ago I bought an SD40-2 and Bicentennial decal set for Milwaukee #156. I never got around to painting and decaling and put the hobby on hold. Now that I'm getting back into it I searched for the decal set. Not finding it I ordered the Microscale set for it. Arrived today and, in comparing to photos online for the prototype, it doesn't make the grade. Besides having black Milwaukee Road lettering (unlike blue on the original) the lettering is not crisp.
By good fortune I searched again and found my original set so have the prototypically correct lettering.
Quite a few years ago I bought an SD40-2 and Bicentennial decal set for Milwaukee #156. I never got around to painting and decaling and put the hobby on hold. Now that I'm getting back into it I searched for the decal set. Not finding it I ordered the Microscale set for it. Arrived today and, in comparing to photos online for the prototype, it doesn't make the grade. Besides having black Milwaukee Road lettering (unlike blue on the original) the lettering is not crisp.
By good fortune I searched again and found my original set so have the prototypically correct lettering.
Hi John,
Glad you found your original set that was correct.
Who produced the other set of decals you received? I had both Micro-Scale & Champ decals available in the past. I'm trying to get re-established with a distributor after the former owner passed away and the place closed.
I just figured it would be good for others to know who put out the shoddy decals?
Hi David,
The older decal set, and the most correct, is from Walthers, #43-768. I don't know who made it for them and it's from about 20 years ago. The newer one, that has the incorrect lettering, was also purchased from Walthers and made by Microscale. In looking at it again, under stronger light, the lettering that should be blue really is but a much darker blue appearing almost black. I will probably use the older one but may use parts of the other as well. The newer Microscale has the red and white wave stripes so i wouldn't have to mask off and paint them if I used them. The older set only has the lettering which I'll probably use as it's closer to the prototype.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)