ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Just joined the forum because I am getting back into the hobby after a very long time--early 90s. I plan on building an HO layout and was just wondering if I need to purchase special track for a DCC system? Any info/links members have to DCC requirements would be much appreciated. Thank You and look forward to learning from all of you.
Just joined the forum because I am getting back into the hobby after a very long time--early 90s. I plan on building an HO layout and was just wondering if I need to purchase special track for a DCC system? Any info/links members have to DCC requirements would be much appreciated. Thank You and look forward to learning from all of you.
Well, your favorite track if fine as long as it does not have steel rails. Tyco, Bachmann and Lifelike have all made steel railed track at one time or another.
There is nothing wrong electrically with steel rails. Yes, steel rails will give you corrosion problems and will become grimy faster than n/s but if they are kept clean their conductivity is just fine. AFAIK there is nothing wrong with steel rails and DCC other than that no one wants steel because of corrosion.
Ok since the topic was brought up about kinds of track here is my question. I am working on my layout as most of you have probably seen in the layout section. now I am using what I have, I have some nickel silver and brass. Can these be mixed together with not problems? I know brass is a pain to keep clean too but everything seems to run good for quite some time, even better since I run my three car cleaning train over it before I operate it.
You can mix nickel silver and brass rail without any problems as long as the track is in a cool, dry environment. Brass can oxidize rapidly in a warm, humid environment. Brass oxide doesn't conduct electricity so it is important to consider the track environment before deciding on using brass track rail.
Nickel silver rail is superior in appearance and resists oxidation better when compared to brass. Brass rail conducts electricity slightly better than nickel silver which offers slightly more pulling power for a locomotive.
Turnouts and crossing are another issue - some are designed to work well with DCC, some are not. Some require switching power to the frog(s), others do not.
I prefer Peco 83, the ones the following US practices.
I have to respectfully disagree, steel is such a poor conductor of electricity compared even to Nickel-Silver (which is horrible compared to brass), that all the DCC conductance issues are compounded. The DCC bus-feeder situations become more important and critical using steel. Then there is the fun job of trying to solder to steel rails/or rail joiners.
So technically you are correct, DCC will work with steel track, but I don't think it is a good idea on several levels.