DCC system

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Sacramento

New Member
Hi everyone

As I use to control my trains wit DC mode and want to change to DCC I would like to know what exactly do I need. I have read a lot in the net and I am quite confused as I found lots of information but not allways saying the same.

Can anyone descrive me what items are really necessary to control several trains? Let's exclude for the time being the control of turnings and signal lights.

I have read about boosters, controls, PS and a lot of other things. One thing i understood is that I need a system to control the trais and a decoder in the loco itself.

Thanks for your hekp
Sacramento
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Because it is a digital control system, your locomotives must have a chip in them to decode the digital signal in the rails' voltage. So, in addition to the power supply, the controller base unit, and the paddle, you must purchase at least one decoder and install it/have it installed in at least one locomotive. From there, assuming you have a good experience, you buy more decoders, or engines with them already factory installed, and add to your motive fleet.

The only similarity with DC ops is that you must still gap return loops or turning wyes, and for the very same reason...phase or polarity conflict at the one rail. Other than that, each locomotive will do what you say it must, regardless of what the others are doing or which way it faces. The system sends a digital command, input by you via the paddle, to the rails, and the decoder intended to act on it will read the signal with the address and do as it is instructed. All other decoders know not to change their behaviour at the time, and they'll continue to sit or to move as they had been prior to the new input on the paddle.

Wiring is simple: feed as many rails as you can, and keep the rails and tire surfaces cleaner than you would in DC ops.
 
Check the websites of the various DCC manufactures for information on their DCC systems, like Digitrax and NCE. They will provide you with the basics of what you need as an entry system for DCC. Check with your local hobby shops who may have systems set up that you could test before you purchase a system.

Thanks.

Greg
 


Ho Crandell

Thank you for your reply. I still have one or two doubts. By controller base unit you mean the booster? And for the paddle you mean the Digital comand control.
I am asking this because of what I found out.
Also do you think it is feaseable a DIY system? I have some experience in electronics and computers.

Thanks
Sacramento
 
Sacramento,
You will need a command station, a power supply and a throttle.
The command station is where you connect the track, the throttle and the power supply.

This is all you need for a simple track layout.
You will need to have any locos converted to DCC to run them.
Most people do not recommend running DC locos on DCC.

When looking at Digitrax you will not get a power supply with any of the except the Zephyr.

I think the NEC starter set does come with a power supply.
 
Ho Crandell

Thank you for your reply. I still have one or two doubts. By controller base unit you mean the booster? And for the paddle you mean the Digital comand control.
I am asking this because of what I found out.
Also do you think it is feaseable a DIY system? I have some experience in electronics and computers.

Thanks
Sacramento

Sacramento, a few DCC systems have components that can be used as boosters, the Digitrax DB150 base unit in the Super Empire Builder being an example. However, most of us use the base unit simply as the brains and digital signal generator of the entire system. Most have a hand-held throttle, or paddle if you will, while the Digitax Zephyr is an example that does not. The throttle is built into the base unit.

A booster is a device that actually amplifies, or boosts, the DCC signal imprinted on the track voltage when you have a large rail system and voltages and lengths of power buses feeding them get so long that both the voltage and imprinted signal attenuate with distance. Think wire resistance and all that would imply for a signal needing robust voltage over distances. Generally, boosters are add-ons to a basic DCC system...an extra purchase.

You asked if by the paddle I mean digital command control. No, DCC is simply the method of controlling all types of DCC decoders. Note that Mike's Train House uses DCS, a separate, but still digital, command control system. It is those two, and not DCC components, that ought not to be mixed...ideally.

The paddle is a paddle or throttle...interchangeably. It has buttons and a display and is tethered to the base unit which normally is mounted near or under the layout/frame. Radio versions need no tether, but they do need batteries inside the throttle/paddle. Radio systems are considerably more costly, as you might expect.

If you can find a reliable DCC engineering text or diagrammes and can build your own, I don't see why you shouldn't. You'll have to be your own warranty underwriter, though.
 
G'day...welcome to the new way....If you want a tip from a relatively new DCC'er ..about 2 years....after mucking around with all sorts of stuff...from personal experience go with NCE Powercab...It's simple to understand , one of the best instruction books you'll find comes with it , takes literally five minutes to hook up and has a ton of scope to add to over time...So , it'd need to be pretty good to be a more user friendly system than NCE...You'll love DCC...only regret for me was I didn't 'discover' it sooner...Cheers Rod
 
Greetings, Being new to the DC to DCC conversion, 2 months, my time here on the forum and research on DCC systems led me to look at Starter Sets from all different manufactures. I narrowed it down to NCE Powercab and Digitrax SCFXD radio. In addition I purchased a copy of the Big Book of DCC which spanned A to Z and was a great source of answers as well as questions. I was leaning to the NCE when the SCFXD radio with power supply listed on ebay for less that half price. If it had been as easy to learn as the NCE Powercab I would have had the best of both worlds. What a leap from DC control. This is the ISBN 0-9674830-0-x for the book. Its on amazon as well. Read, learn and spend smartly.....more $ for trains, Welcome.
Doc'
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top