ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Does anyone have experience in installing a decoder and Sound system in a powered [Athearn] SW-7 CALF?
Theres not much room in there so I don't know how big of a speaker you can get in there.
Danny, if you have a calf, why not make it a dummy?? DCC the cow and run the wires for the speaker from the cow to the calf.
Sw-7 calf
That's one solution. My lead units are all sound equipped. I just don't like permanent connections. But it IS a reasoned solution. Thanks, I'll consider it if no other solution is available.
Regards,
Danny
Danny, doesn't have to be a permanent connection. Mark has DCC'ed a lot of my switchers for me. But I always make him put a plug between the DCC board and the lights so I can remove the shells.
I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 switchers now. The majority are Athearns. The only ones that have both sound and DCC are the newer MP15's and RTR SW1500's. I have quite a few of the older ones that are DCC'ed now, but trying to fit a speaker in a powered calf would be darn near impossible in my humble opinion.
Get two of those single pin micro connectors and use those for the speaker wires. Try to get the smallest connector possible and maybe you can simulate MU cables.
Gomez Addams
Staff member
I put a speaker in a small enclosure in a gondola with a plug. I can then run any of several switchers, simply plugging them in to the gondola to enable sound. The decoder is in the switcher, with a plug for the speaker. The wires are black, and look kind of like air hoses.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)