? DCC Electronics

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


rayman14085

New Member
I have been a Model Railroader for about 36 years now, but never an electrician. I am starting on my new 28' x 10' layout and I have the Empire Builder from Digitrax. DCC seems quite easy and I have had this system on 2 other layouts before. My question is that you see other modelers with these different electronics, called "Brains", what am I missing and what do I really need for my new layout electronicly.
 
I believe that brains is meant to be a biomechanical developmental process that begins at birth, is formalized at school, and in some cases continues as a preferred way of life in adults. It takes place in a fatty and weird looking item found in the cranium...the head. I have it on good authority that a good sustaining, or maintenance programme, is found in the manuals that accompany all electronics. When you get, and install, a DCC system, you are encouraged to "get a brain" by actually taking the manual in hand, opening it, and...this part takes some real guts....actually reading the words inside with a view to understanding what they mean. Apparently, the better manuals, plus some hands-on experience as you go along, makes for better brains.

-Crandell
 
LOL, Crandell. Rayman, there are many kinds of different throttles out there now, which is what I assume you mean by "brains". Since you are going to have a fairly large layout, you want some handheld throttles so you can follow the train around the layout. The Empire Builder will work fine, although you may want to an extra throttle, especially if you are going to have more than one operator. A booster will also help if you plan on running more than two or three trains at a time. Digitrax now has radio throttles and receivers avaliable so you can have as many as you want with no wiring and no plugging in to a port. Check out the Digitrax web site for more options.
 


Jim, I did really think he was pulling our legs, but in case he was not (and I apologize for my vapid attempt at humour), there is brain circuitry in many components that can play a part in our DCC experience. There is your own PC/laptop and a freeware called Decoder Pro from JMRI (available at sourceforge.com). Each hand-held throttle has complex circuitry and microchips, and the base station would have that as well. There are also automatic 'smart' reversers for loops and turning wyes.

I'm not sure what else, except maybe the "brainy" decoder chips in the locomotives?

-Crandell
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top