Dcc decoders and speakers- N Scale

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


andytrain65

New Member
Hey, I am new and I was wondering if there are any speakers out there that i can put on N-Scale loco's, Also i am wondering if there are any Tsunami DCC/sound decoders for N scale engines. I am not very experienced with DCC and I don't want to ruin anything with trial and error.
 
I'm only familiar with Digitrax, but there are some N-scale decoders with sound, and MRC specifically makes a drop-in decoder for the SD80MAC (and by default the SD90/43MAC also). You can't just hook up a speaker to any decoder, though, it does have to be a sound decoder and that will come with its own speaker. The Kato SD70ACe, SD40-2 and ES44AC GEVO also have drop-in decoders available, as does the Athearn F45 and SD70M. That's about as far as my knowledge goes on the drop-in type, but Digitrax.com does have a decoder selector for the models they offer, and I'm sure MRC etc. also have their own resources. You can also do a google search for something like "n scale SD70ACe sound decoder install" and pull up some resources that way.

Barring a "drop-in" type that's made for easy install in some of the larger locomotives, quite a lot of the N-scale locomotives just don't have room for a sound decoder without milling the frame. Some just don't have room period, and even getting a non-sound decoder in there can be a challenge. Without more specific information as to exactly which locos you're talking about, that's about the best answer I can give.

One caveat: The N-scale locos I've heard with sound don't exactly impress me. I know a lot of people who will say that HO scale is really about the smallest you can go and get even halfway decent sound, as the N-scale speakers are just too small to deliver anything remotely realistic. So bear that in mind, or find some locomotives to listen to, before you drop a bunch of cash on sound decoders. Obviously others do find the sound quite acceptable or companies would have quit offering the decoders by now, but I personally don't feel the sound quality makes it worth the investment in N scale. Just my $.02, and in the interest of full disclosure I actually like the sound the N-scale locomotives make running around the track anyway, so I've never been too gung-ho about adding sound to begin with.
 


I've been toying with the idea of sound for N scale and I think the best solution could possibly be this:http://www.soundtraxx.com/surround/. The cost is higher initially, but if you are considering doing six or seven locos this may be the best way to go. The sound quality would also be far superior to the tiny speakers that would be required, and in some cases impossible, to fit in a small loco.
 
I do not care for sound in diesel locos, that said I have converted several steamers to DCC with sound and love it. Steam sound is far more interesting to me. The units I converted have the decoder & speaker in the tenders. A lot more room in tenders for speakers. My favorites are my AC12 cab forward and my N&W J class #611. JD
 
I'm new to the board and figured this would be a good place as any to get started. I'm in the design phase of my very first model railroad and planning to go N scale with DCC sound. I'm guessing the modeling manufacturers are bit behind in technology if any one thinks the speaker quality is lacking. Anyone that has a cell phone with speaker phone capabilities can tell you it doesn't take much speaker to get good quality sound. The soundtraxx surround looks interesting but I would need to hear it first hand before deciding.
 
I'm new to the board and figured this would be a good place as any to get started. I'm in the design phase of my very first model railroad and planning to go N scale with DCC sound. I'm guessing the modeling manufacturers are bit behind in technology if any one thinks the speaker quality is lacking. Anyone that has a cell phone with speaker phone capabilities can tell you it doesn't take much speaker to get good quality sound. The soundtraxx surround looks interesting but I would need to hear it first hand before deciding.

If you're happy with speaker-phone quality sound, then you will indeed be more than happy with N-scale sound decoders.
 
If you're happy with speaker-phone quality sound, then you will indeed be more than happy with N-scale sound decoders.

That's good to hear. I have an htc one with beats audio and it does a excellent job. If n scale is better than that then it will be perfect for me and my four engineers (grandsons).
 
I have heard the beat audio system and it is great! I think you will be happy with the Zimo speakers from what I heard at MB Klein.

I thought I was lucky to have 2 grandsons!

Have fun with your boys and the trains!
 


I think is often over-looked is putting the sound in car directly behind the loco. I have converted several box cars to sound. That way EVERY loco can have sound. I convert car trucks for electrical pickup and place the speaker so it fires down thru a cutout in the bottom. Easier yet is a dummy loco that came with electrical pickup for lights. I find a fully enclosed box car (or other) works best. Sound is better than say a cattle car. .................. JD
 
Another note: I favor, mostly use Digitrax DN135 (now DN136) because it fits in most N scale locos and has a plug-in wire harness. I can share one decoder among several locos via swapping the decoder. I also have dummy decoders that can plug-in in place of a DCC decoder for DC operation.. Another new bonus is Digitrax came out with a sound version, aka SDN-136 that uses the same plug in as the no-sound version DN135/6. The capacitor & speaker plug into the other end. THe SDN136 fit in larger N scale locos or tenders.
 
zI consider locos such as PA1, F (covered wagon) and the longer/larger GP/SD70 etc. Tenders generaly are great locations for speakers. Smaller locos are like yard/dock locos, not much room for anything. I think empty (no mechanism) box or similar cars make good speaker baffles. I did a Kato SD70MAC and it works great despite the narrow body using a Digitrax SDN136 w/oval speaker....Obviously industrial loco is knda small, I did pack a DCC decoder in a Plymouth ind sw but I used a different motor/drive (kato)
 
i have put DCC decoders with sound in box cars, tenders & express cars (large box like cars run on passenger trains) between passenger cars & LOCO an in locos......... when I put a DCC sound decoder in a trailing car I simply put t sound car on the programing track & set the DCC ID to match the loco I want to use wish.
 
If you were to put just the speaker in the box car how would you wire it to the decoder thats in the loco.

I would just use a Sound only decoder and place the decoder and speaker in the box car.. Then all you would need to do is program the sound decoder as the same address as the locomotive that it trails, or give it a separate address, and advanced or basic consist it with the locomotive..
 


I would just use a Sound only decoder and place the decoder and speaker in the box car.. Then all you would need to do is program the sound decoder as the same address as the locomotive that it trails, or give it a separate address, and advanced or basic consist it with the locomotive..

How do you get power to the sound decoder?
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top