ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
The EZ command is a nice entry level DCC system, but thats about it. I have one but i never use it because i run my only DCC locomotive on my MRC Tech II (DC controler). All my other locomotives are DC. If you have anymore questions i can grab the box and look again. Running 7 locomotives smoothly at a time is going to require a fairly good sized layout, if i remember right your doing a 4x8 or 8x8. At max youll run about 3 at a time when your busy.
A big question about the EZ Command system is, are you going to be using Sound locomotives? I dont believe the EZ command system will control all sound effects.
Save it as a jpeg. When you go to post, click manage attachment, click browse, look in your files until you find it, then click it and itll attach to the post.
A big question about the EZ Command system is, are you going to be using Sound locomotives? I dont believe the EZ command system will control all sound effects.
It can run 2 - 3 sound locos at once. The first 8 sound functions can be used. If you want to use more locos at once you need to get a better system such as the NCE Powercab or the Digitrax Zephyr which is what I use. Either of those will cost between $150 to $200 from Walthers.
Save it as a jpeg. When you go to post, click manage attachment, click browse, look in your files until you find it, then click it and itll attach to the post.
You shouldn't be trying to open it during attachment. After you've gone through the browse and have clicked upload the system will load the pic into the buffer. Go to the bottom of the attachment window and click 'Close Window'. Finish your document and post it.
Not all sound decoders have 29 Functions. Most high end decoders will have this and it seams that it is becoming the standard as some of the low end decoders such as MRC are going with 29 functions.
If all you need is a decoder to control direction and lighting then dont spend alot on one.
sound functions can be for the horn, bell,coupler clank, wheels squeel, etc...
I don't know why you would want remote couplers/uncouplers. All of the production DCC coupler/uncoupler mechanisms I've seen are junk with horribly oversized couplers (even by HO standards) that stand out like sore thumbs. Kadee couplers with under track magnets on the spurs and electromagnets under the track at strategic spots along the main will serve you better. Also remember that each DCC uncoupler requires a separate DCC address. That quickly runs into a LOT of money. As for which system would be better that is totally up to you. If I was to choose one it would be the Zephyr. Why? It has more power. The Zephyr puts out 2.5 amps while the Powercab puts out 1.7 amps. From a portability standpoint the Powercab is more convenient as the power pack is anchored in one spot while the operator holds the control interface. The interface and the power pack are connected by a coiled cord. I have no need for such convenience so I find the Zephyrs 1 piece construction to be good for me. The control unit, booster and throttle are all in one unit. It's also easily expandible. All Digitrax components will work all other Digitrax components while with many other DCC systems you have to 'retire' the old system and buy another more advanced system that may or may not be what you want in the end. If I want a tethered throttle to use with my Zephyr I can get a DT400 throttle and just plug it in. The Zephyr also allows me to use up to 2 DC power packs as jump throttles to operate 2 more DCC locos so I can have 3 operators going at once. I don't know of another system that does this. If I knew more about the Powercab I would tell you more but my knowledge of it is quite limited.
well. I guess I can't use that, because I plan to have about 7 locomoties.
any suggestions on where to get a fairly cheap DCC system that can opperate maybe a dozen engines?
I would get the NCE Powercab system as it will bhe good for what you want. I know a friend that has it and runs 5 - 9 locos around without problems. I can get them from my distributor for around $120 for the Powercab starter set and if interested you can PM or EMail me at [email protected].
to increase power output you can purchase additional booster compatible with your system. with that, chances are you not going to run that many engines at once.
You shouldn't be trying to open it during attachment. After you've gone through the browse and have clicked upload the system will load the pic into the buffer. Go to the bottom of the attachment window and click 'Close Window'. Finish your document and post it.
I did what you said, but it didn't show up.My thread has been started, anyhow, under layout design and constructon.
There is an easier way to do it. Go to Photobucket.com and open a free account. After the account is set up follow the instructions and upload your photos to the account. After that simply right click the IMG tag under the photo thumbnail and copy it into your browser. Go to your document, right click and select paste to paste the IMG line into your document.