DC Vs DCC

  • Thread starter Thread starter NP2626
  • Start date Start date
ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


When I built my present layout (folded dogbone around a 14' x 14' purpose-built room), I wired it for DC with individual blocks that are completely insulated from each other (both rails have insulated joiners), with DPST On-OFF toggles plus DPDT toggles for polarity reversing. I wired the layout using 12 AWG buses just in case. (I wear a belt and suspenders on my pants!) I have about 100 DC locos collected over the last 60+ years or so. But I liked the idea of having some locos with sound, hence DCC. I initially bought an MRC Tech6 6.0 DCC power setup to handle any DCC + Sound locos. Although the Tech6 6.0 has DCC/DC dual capability, I didn't like the idea of potentially burning up any of the Canon coreless motors (no longer available) I installed in some of my kitbashed Mantua steamers. Since I only run one train at a time (and have difficulty walking and chewing gum at the same time), I installed a DPDT toggle on the main control panel, with a DC control pack on one side and the DCC pack on the other. That way, I can tell at a glance which system is powering the layout. Left is DC, right is DCC. As to sound, I have installed a TCS WOWSound decoder in two of my steamers. I have acquired a few DCC/Sound equipped diesel, but there is NO WAY I am going to convert all my older DC units. Couldn't afford it; some are too small to fit a decoder in; wouldn't have enough time if I did nothing else on my bucket list for the next 25 years or so! I may change out the MRC DCC pack for an NCE PowerCab, as I would like to be able to use 4-digit address numbers for my E5A&B and E7 and E8/9 Zephyrs.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top