Dc/dcc

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


aaaaaaaaare you operating in DC or DCC

  • DC

    Votes: 19 38.0%
  • DCC

    Votes: 31 62.0%

  • Total voters
    50
When I got back in the hobby 4 years ago, I went with good old DC. I decided very quickly as I planned my layout to go with DCC for simpler wiring and I liked the idea of controling the loco, not the track. BUt I am fortnate enough NOT to have aquired a lot of DC locos in need of change and to be in the "right spot, right time" to jump into DCC. I couldn't be happier.
________
COCAINE REHAB FORUM
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today's decoder will make your locos run better.

Been in Command Control since the MRC high frequency for one loco control system in the early '80's can't remember the name. Never could get myself to build one of those complex cab control panels.

Harold
 
The thread reminded me what a long time club member told me: our club layout is so large, that when it was dc, there was 26 block control panel, everyone was always looking for the good switch and most of the time, shorted someone else, now you can have multiple switchers operating in the same yard without interference. Problem was, it was so not-fun that they was never any operation done. The club was going no where, so they decided to use the new technology that allowed multiple trains to be run at once. They ripped all the block control station and installed 14 5amps block. That was in 1997, so dcc parts where not cheap and everyone had to get is own throttle + decoders. Some people still dont know how to install or program decoders today, but it aint a problem since there is always someone ready to help program your loco or install your decoder
 


Some people still dont know how to install or program decoders today, but it aint a problem since there is always someone ready to help program your loco or install your decoder


:)

This has been my arguement. that we have plenty of members willing to help out the not so hands on people by installing cheep decoders. I know I would be more than happy to do the installs for free. and I have psersonly spoken to other members that would do the same.
 
I do decoder installs for other people as well. It's not really all that difficult. Finding time to do it is another story :D
 
When our club went DCC in 98, everyone got 2 decoders apiece (paid for by the club), that jump started the whole thing. I bought my home system in 2000 and have not run DC since, except on a small test track.

When we disassembled the clubs old block system, most of us left that night with a rotary switch or 2. I keep mine above my parts bins as a reminder of how messed up the "good old days" really were! :D
 
Well, blocks are actually a good thing on DCC. If each block had its own booster, then if a loco derails and causes a short, then power would only be cut out to that block, and the rest of the layout would still be operational. It's a pain when we have run sessions and the power cuts out every few seconds because someone derails and the power gets cut out to the whole layout (theres a block or two at the club that were incorrectly wired so it trips the whole system instead of just that one block)
 
I agree Blocks are good for trouble shooting shorts or keeping others running while your stuck up on a switch.be it with DC or DCC..

I just wish we could use a new word for them. "Blocks" are kinda a sad reminder of what we had to deal with in the DC days.
 


When our club went DCC in 98, everyone got 2 decoders apiece (paid for by the club), that jump started the whole thing. I bought my home system in 2000 and have not run DC since, except on a small test track.



A few members talked about this as well and like this idea. I dont know what it would cost but we have about 150 members, 50% are very active and I would say that over 60% of the active members are already DCC. I figure around $1500 in cheap motor decoders. depending on the price brake we could get for a large purchase. I know that the club as a whole is mostly DCC but people are just afraid of hurting someones feelings? I say we just need to grow up and accept that this is the direction of the hobby regardless if its liked or not. Personaly I would like to see a date set in the next year that sets a dead line for when we would go full DCC. this would not only let the DC membership slowly convert and learn DCC but would also give some time for anyone that is fully paid up to make the choice if they will stay or leave the club. But im kinda a new member ( little over 2 years) and dont want to force the issue unless untill we see a little more proof that it will work.
 
A few members talked about this as well and like this idea. I dont know what it would cost but we have about 150 members, 50% are very active and I would say that over 60% of the active members are already DCC. I figure around $1500 in cheap motor decoders. depending on the price brake we could get for a large purchase. I know that the club as a whole is mostly DCC but people are just afraid of hurting someones feelings? I say we just need to grow up and accept that this is the direction of the hobby regardless if its liked or not. Personaly I would like to see a date set in the next year that sets a dead line for when we would go full DCC. this would not only let the DC membership slowly convert and learn DCC but would also give some time for anyone that is fully paid up to make the choice if they will stay or leave the club. But im kinda a new member ( little over 2 years) and dont want to force the issue unless untill we see a little more proof that it will work.

Let me relate a little history. The numbers are not as large, but I believe the proportions are the same. At our DC heyday, we had about 40 members, the 2 things happened, we lost our building lease, went modular, and went DCC at the same time. Withing a year, membership dropped to less than 25.
Suicide? Actually no.
Even with the loss of the "permanent" layout, the outlay for the DCC, and the fact that modular layouts were still outside the main stream at that time,(1998) we started to rebound. Not only did we hold modular construction and scenery clinics , to get our new portable layout up to speed, but we also held decoder installation and programming clinics. Within a 3 year period, I installed over 100 decoders myself, not only for myself, but for several club members.
Remember the old adage, 20% of the people do 80% of the work? In most instances, it's true. Looking at you numbers,
I dont know what it would cost but we have about 150 members, 50% are very active and I would say that over 60% of the active members are already DCC.
I would say you have more members already familiar with DCC than we had in members!
Of those members with DCC, I would think that there are at least 1 or 2 of them that wield a great deal of influence in the club. IMHO, they are the folks you should align yourself with, and talk up a conversion to DCC plan with them. If you are concerned with losing members, you might want to take a hard look at what you are losing. We lost almost half our membership in the 1st year of the "new deal", but we rebounded. We found we didnt lose any of our "serious" modelers. We did lose most of our "railfans and rachet-jaws". You know the type. They watch the trains run and chat about whats wrong with this model, or spew diatribes about this railroad vs. that.
The DC guys that remained now have a few engines each that have decoders set so that they can run at home also. So in the long run, everyone who remained, won.:D
Now the club has grown to close to 50 members, supporting a 60x100 modular layout that is fully DCC. :D
If we survived it, you guys can too!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top