D.E. initials under Milwaukee Road number?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


jasonelki

Milwaukee Roader
I've noticed on a few of my milwaukee road locos the initials D.E. reside under the number. Any idea what this stands for?
Thanks!
 
Just a guess but I know Detroit Edison leased some locomotives for coal unit train work. Don't know if it was the Milwaukee Road though.
 
On an SD40-2, it should be something like "30 ERS 6" for 3000 hp Diesel Electric Road Switcher 6 axles. It has been a long time since I have painted one or even seen one so I don't remember if I got it exactly right.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


After closer inspection here is what I've got.
Fairbanks Morse H10-44 with D.E.10 under the road number of 1820.
Alco RSC-2 with a D.E. under the road number of 979.
And an Alco HH660 with a D.E. under the road number of 1603.

These are all from a similar time frame, late 30's for the HH660 to ~1947 for the RSC2.
 
Ah, OK, that was just shorthand for Diesel Electric. In the early days of diesels, it was common for railroads to use some form of identification for diesel engines in the numbering system compared to steam engines. A good example was the UP, who's diesel switcher numbers started with a D.S. well into the late 50's.
 
Ah, OK, that was just shorthand for Diesel Electric. In the early days of diesels, it was common for railroads to use some form of identification for diesel engines in the numbering system compared to steam engines. A good example was the UP, who's diesel switcher numbers started with a D.S. well into the late 50's.

Ah, that does make more sense. I knew I should have included the specifics right away, you guys know your stuff around here!
Thanks much!
Jason
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top