Cutting Foam

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I went over to Home Depot and got a couple of jigsaw blades for foam. Makes a nice clean cut effortlessly.
 
Also depends on the texture you're trying for. Use a 2 inch exacto blade for clean cuts or rough cutting tools mentioned earlier such as steak knives, or saw blades for a more textured look.
 
For cutting a canal in 2" thick foam I used the item below that I found at Lowe's for about 20.00. It has several tips and you don't have the mess associated with saw tools.

Larry




IMG_0049.jpg




IMG_0045.jpg

how did u make that building?
 


For cutting shapes before final mounting, I like a jigsaw.......it's much faster than any hand powered cutting tool.......once the foam is in place, then you can go to the hand powered stuff for final shaping. I'll use a dremel or a roto-zip for some things, but they makes a big mess, so I only use them when I need to......I find a shur-form tool to be invaluable for shaping contours
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top