coupler upgrades

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


MitchyG

the new guy
I recently bought my first trains.View attachment 21782These ar the couplers that camewith everything. I would eventualy like to upgrade to the system where a magnet is under the table.
How much will this cost? what kind should I get? Where do I get them?

any suggetions would be appreciated.
 


Yes I only use Kadees, they are a must on any layout. I have their under-the-track magnets as well, and they work OK, not great, but it's nice to have when you need uncoupling in places you can't reach. You'll learn how to do the Kadee Shuffle. They have a video on their site that shows how it works.

You will probably want the #5's, as they are the most standard compatible with various rolling stock manufacturers.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The only scale size Kadee coupler I use is the #119 whisker shelf coupler. If they come uncoupled due to variations in track work you have a serious track problem that needs to be addressed ASAP. The shelfs actually work and keep the couplers locked together. Like all Kadee's they work with any other knuckle coupler with the exception of the Sergents couplers. Sergents work well only with other Sergents couplers.
 
The Kadee scale head couplers work with sergents.
But not by simply backing the car into it. The knuckle of the Sergents coupler must be manually closed around the knuckle of the Kadee coupler. I tried the Sergents on a trial basis. They're good for what they do and look fantastic. But as my friends all use Kadee's and we sometimes exchange rolling stock I see no reason to change. I also don't like that I had to align them manually. The Kadee's are automatically aligned and I can uncouple them over an under track magnet instead of having to reach across the layout to insert a magnetic probe between the cars. Use Sergents if you want to. I have no use for them.
 
I like the #148 whisker coupler the best. I know in real life that the coupler face would be bigger than the prototype, but I find them easier to couple than the "scale" head whisker. The whisker is great in that you dont have to put in the brass coupler boxes anymore. JMHO.
 
I like the #148 whisker coupler the best. I know in real life that the coupler face would be bigger than the prototype, but I find them easier to couple than the "scale" head whisker. The whisker is great in that you dont have to put in the brass coupler boxes anymore. JMHO.
I also like the #148 Whisker coupler and use it whenever I can get some. I also use the Kadee #119 shelf coupler.on my tank cars, covered hoppers and some other assorted cars.
 
Theres a scale head whisker, the Kadee #158. I use #5s or Walthers ProtoMAX couplers on all of my cars except for the tank cars. My Atlas and Athearn tank cars have 119s (scale head double shelf coupler) and my Walthers tank cars have 118s (double shelf coupler with a coupler head the size of a #5) because the Walthers tank cars suck and I don't trust them :D

The 119s are easier to uncouple than the 118s.
 


I use a lot of the diff. #'s of Kadee's. I use upper & lower shelf & a lot of #5's. I like the Whisker coupler for a lot of engines & I do use some Mchenry's on freight cars. Only the one's w/springs.
 
I used #5s til the whiskers came out. Im a big fan of the 148 but use the protomax on walthers if they come so equipped. I also leave the mchenry's on my athearn genesis bc im not into the drilling of holes required to modify the coupler boxes that the kadee website says is required.

anyone had any luck with their athearn genesis' and kadees not doing the drilling mod?
 
I don't have any genesis cars, but Athearn did redo the coupler boxes before re-releasing the genesis as retooled RTR. I have some cars that are "retooled" (dumbed down genesis) and they have etched metal walkways, and full brake rigging. The coupler pockets are held in by screws and they readily accept Kadee #5s.

I bought ProtoMAX couplers because they were less expensive than Kadee #5s and are all metal, and pretty much identical to kadee #5s.
 
Oh sorry, I meant the genesis locos, not the cars.

Yes the protomax are a virtually spot on clone of the kadee 5. walthers did a great job with them.

anybody put any kadees in genesis locos without the mods the kadee site says req?
 
Which loco in particular? My SD70s and SD45-2s have standard Athearn coupler pockets.

the sd70, and the sd70mac all from about 3-6 years ago...

any advice? i might throw a whisker 148 in there and experiment with coupler height with that guage fitter...
 
I'm a big fan of the #148's and have been able to use them for all of my upgrades so far. The #153's are exactly the same whisker design except they're shorter if you want closer coupled cars. And the #205 coupler height gauge works like a charm. I think Kadees are one of the very best model train products your money can buy. :)

Greg
 
Last edited by a moderator:






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top