Coupler conversion on Rivarossi 6 axle

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


NYSW F45

Active Member
Ok I had bought the Kadee 505's for the 6 axle rivarossi coaches. The 2 cars im converting have the old horn hook couplers. But the problem is the 505's do not fit in the opening where the horn hook shank goes. Am I better off trying 508's or getting new 6 axle trucks with kadee's on them already?
 
What instructions did you get with the couplers ?, I,m interested to see how this works out because I,ve got two Rivarossi coaches that need converting, a 6 wheel,and a 4 wheel truck version.
Ronzzr11
 
i've got the proper instructions. But the hole on the conversion piece will no way let the little push pin type screw thru it to hold the truck to the body. I dont want to have to hack this thing up.
 


I decided to convert my 3 Rivarossi passenger cars to Kadee couplers myself, using strips of 2mm plastic. I glued these to the mounting points on the trucks, making the strips well over-long. Once the glue dried, I used a Kadee #5 coupler, and draught box to work out the right length to cut the strips down to.Then glued the draught box in place. I,ve converted two four wheel truck cars, and a six wheel car in this way.
Ronzzr11
 
Ok I had bought the Kadee 505's for the 6 axle rivarossi coaches. The 2 cars im converting have the old horn hook couplers. But the problem is the 505's do not fit in the opening where the horn hook shank goes. Am I better off trying 508's or getting new 6 axle trucks with kadee's on them already?

If you have curves of 24" radius or greater, body mounting the couplers is a much better option. I'm also thinking that the Kadee kit was designed around the classic Rivarossi truck that goes back to the 1960s. If you have a newer run Rivarossi car, the arrangement may not be the same.

Andy
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top