Country specific loco's...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


wombat457

I'm the one
This is probably a question for our Australian friends, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a Locomotive Manufacturer that made Country specific Locomotives, ie "The Ghan", "Southern Aurora", "Indian Pacific" etc.

I have searched all of the manufacturers I know of and everything seems to be US or European orientated.

Cheers,

wombat457
 
Hi Wombat.

These links may be of some help to you, I think the only Indian Pacific coaches available were made by Lima and no longer available, what a lot of modellers do is use similar coaches made for Santa Fe or others.

There are similar US outline coaches that can be converted to look like the Southern Aurora, loco wise any Bulldog EMD or Alco loco from NSW or Victoria would be suitable.

These days the Indian Pacific seems to be hooked on to any available Pacific National loco as the purpose livery Ghan and Indian Pacific locos can be found on Intermodal or general freight trains.

http://www.austrains.com.au/locomotives.html

http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/AN Class Page.htm
 


tootmkumin,

Thanks mate; however I won't buy on ebay or any of those type of sites. Appreciate you looking though.

Cheers,

wombat457
 
Unless a Hobby shop has still got stock, I don't know how you'll do it. The AMRMagazine has hobby shop listings and contacts at the back.
 
The Lima Indian Pacific cars are still available (Hornby bought Lima and has done a run in the last few years) but you don't want them.


They are basic even by 1970's standards (the decade they were originally released) and Hornby didn't put any money into improving the models. They have european NEM couplers of a cheaper design (not even up to Roco or Trix standards), no internal detail, minimal external detail, not flush glass windows (I guess we should be grateful there is any glazing), 'cookie cutter wheels' (don't ask) and last but not least, a high price tag (AUD$80 @).


I have been periodically lobbying Auscion to add the Indian Pacifc to their list of projects. I know of a few other people from around the world that would like a model of Australia's premier express train. But the local importers don't seem to be interested in the Indian Pacific. Remarkble isnt it?

Anyway, sooner or latter I think Auscison will cave in and see reason. The old Lima cars really aren't worth it unless you can get them cheap and are prepared to kitbash the things into something presentable.
 


Paul sadly Hornby International dumped all Lima Australian outline some time back, they reintroduced the IP coaches, a 422 Class loco, some NSW coaches and a National Railways Brake Van but they are all not available new today, they were talking about reintroducing the 3801 steam loco but that idea went by the wayside with the rest of Lima models.

Here is a link to the current Hornby International website, surprised that Lima has been given the flick altogether.

http://www.hornbyinternational.com/en/

You are dead right regarding the poor quality of the IP coaches but I think they sold pretty quick because of their rarity, the asking price here in Brisbane was $79.95 which made Ned Kelly or Jesse James look like Saints.
 
I came across the Feb 2013 issue of the AMRMag in my collection (only get them if something takes my eye, this one had a big article on a NSWGR "O" layout). In that mag also was Pt4 of a series on bashing coaches for the Southern Aurora, in this issue it was the BCS lounge cars. The list of parts required were;

a Lima NAM (sleeper) to provide the basic components. for the BCS car
an IHC streamline corrugated side observation car or similar IHC car, or a Frateschi 1st class or Obs to provide the window strips for the BCS lounge.
Bogies (trucks), AR kits 2BS bogies to model 3 of the BCS road #'s or Lima Indian Pacific bogies for another #.
Evergreen #142 and #296 angle for internal details.

Quite a lengthy (4 pages) article with very detailed explanations, line drawings of the coach sides and modifications, interior floor plan and photos. At the end the author gives the 3 previous issues that articles appeared in for other cars. Whether there were more to come it doesn't say.

After having a quick read through it's obvious that all articles would be needed for the instructions (other material etc) as reference is often made to them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Really like the up coming Southern Aurora, I wonder if you will be able to buy single cars though.

Cheers,

wombat457
 
Really like the up coming Southern Aurora, I wonder if you will be able to buy single cars though.

Cheers,

wombat457

The last time I saw this baby I was driving interstate trucks and the coaches were scattered all over a padock near Violet Town.

Cant see a 10 car set selling much under $1,000 but like all great Aussie railway models they have no trouble selling their stock.

Have you seen the Fratschi Budd coaches.

http://www.frateschi.com.br/site/index_eng.php?page=carros-budd_eng
 
Really like the up coming Southern Aurora, I wonder if you will be able to buy single cars though.

Cheers,

wombat457

It does mention that there are proposed 4 car add-on sets to complete the 14 car consist of the Auroura and also the Sydney to Brisbane Ltd (was informed at the club today that these Auroura cars were used as part of that train). Also a 2 car set for the Spirit of Progress.

I was thinking of the population differences 'tween the US and Aus and looked for somewhere in the US to compare our pop to. The estimate for Aus today is 23.4 million, the closest comparable is New York + it's closest suburbs (New York Metro) of 20.5 million (the largest US city). Gives a better understanding of the potential model train market. I agree with Old Tank though, I think they'll go like hot cakes.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top