Convert DCC FP9 back to DC??

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


DaveTheTrain

New Member
This may seem ridiculous to some, but I just received my Rapido Canadian (its ridiculously fantastic!!) with 2 dual mode sound equipped FP9s. I'm old school and run plain 'ol DC with no interest in converting to DCC and sound.

I have three straight DC Rapido FP9s which run fantastic. Exceptionally smooth and quiet. The new ones do not run nearly as well. They need way more juice to get going and they are not particularly smooth. My assumption is they would run much better in DCC.

Is it possible to convert such an engine back to straight DC? If I were to disconnect the sound system would that have any effect on how they run (less power needed?).

Any words of wisdom are appreciated!

Dave
 
It should be just a case of removing the decoder and installing the jumper plug. A plug did come with the engine, right?
 
The sound system would have an effect, but it's also because of the decoder. Even in a non-sound DCC loco you'll never get perfect DC operation as it's really only an emulation of DC behaviour. That said I don't know that they would be "smoother" with the DCC stuff removed. They would certainly run faster and respond to input quicker but that would be about it.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top