Container Yard

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Larry, Fantastic job so far. Your container yard is bigger then most peoples whole layout. That's going to look very impressive.
 


I made a new Scratchbuilt Repair shop today for the yard. The base has to be trimmed to fit & then lighting added inside. Also, signs & landscaping for tomorrow.
The dimensions in scale; 37ft to roof, turbines 11ft tall, 119ft long, 53ft wide at base, 20ft wide at roof, 21ft high door by 14ft wide. This shop is for repairing containers & trailers damaged in route.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jerome. I ordered the shapes from Mark today for my 2 container cranes that I'm going to build from scratch. I'm looking forward to that in the next month or so. I'm going to try to copy the ones that are being built for that huge yard in Tennessee.
Only time will tell. I've got to build about 3 more smaller buildings for the yard yet.
 
Larry, that building alone would take up about 1/4 of my layout. :) Nice job though. The shape is really unique.
 


Larry, that building alone would take up about 1/4 of my layout. :) Nice job though. The shape is really unique.

Jim, I was looking thru all of my junk buildings & was going to use a building that I got a few years back at a train show. It was the old Walthers Iron Ore building. I had already lowered the heighth on my bandsaw & layed the short roof pieces up on the container table so I could scrape all the slag off the bottom sections that I was going to make the new building out of. Looked at those 2 roof sections sitting there & Wa-La, my new tapered side shop building. I've always got to have something totally different to stand out.
Accidents happen when you least expect it(on a train layout, anyway).
:D
 
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this as I did not read the whole thread but the air purifier skyscrapers are awesome! :D

The pig yard doesn't look all that bad either... ;)
 
Added a bunch of landscaping yesterday & today. Views 1 thru 4
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Very decorative landscaping, Larry. Now you need to start getting everything covered in diesel fumes. :)
 
Very decorative landscaping, Larry. Now you need to start getting everything covered in diesel fumes. :)

Jim, Some day down the road I'm going to have to start weathering everything & that's where the diesel smell will come in.:D
 
After much experimenting, I have decided that the Smooth-It and Hydrocal products are too difficult to work with for roads or parking lots (including an intermodal yard.) I did find a nice solution, though:

At the local hardware store, they sell this heavy dark gray (nearly black) paper for use in making gaskets. It is roughly the color of asphalt, and takes paint from a paint pen so that it looks like weathered striping. This is what I am going with. I hope to get some photos up later.
 
I've posted this before. 1mm black craft foam (EVA foam) with gray paint sponged on works well for asphalt on code 100 track. The foam can go the full width between the rails without interfering with the wheel flanges. I've never found 1mm foam locally (Michael's is 2mm) but there's an eBay seller called Wandy-Foam that sells it. His pieces are 12" x 18", but he might be cutting it down from larger stock. You could send him an email and see how big a piece he can get for you.

Tutorial
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?157294-Modeling-Asphalt&highlight=

asphalt4_zps3ea3a39b.jpg




If you've already bought the paper, you could experiment sponging on the gray paint to get some variation in color. I used ordinary water-based craft paint from Michael's on the foam.

Steve S
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure I saw mat board at Hobby Lobby. I am sure they sell a lot of framing supplies and do framing. Hobby Lobby usually runs a 40% off coupon on anything not on sale. Save a few bucks.
Wayne
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top