Constucting my 1st walk around layout.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


As soon as we figure out industry placement gona start laying track.there is no track plan gona make it up as we go.I'm not 100% sure we have enough track that's alot of footage.gona have a few rip tracks to park 30 car trains plus sideings.
 
All u see done buy 17 year old who says kids don't know nothing LOL

Thats a double negative...in 'english' it means you dont know any anything.

If you were using correct english in this post(or the other posts) it would read "who says kids dont know anything?"

I text alot too. I know you can find the comma, or period key on there somewhere.

Good luck with your layout.
 


Thats a double negative...in 'english' it means you dont know any anything.

If you were using correct english in this post(or the other posts) it would read "who says kids dont know anything?"

I text alot too. I know you can find the comma, or period key on there somewhere.

Good luck with your layout.

I don't think you need to be correcting other people's grammar.

Good work Will! It looks like you might be constricting the operator space a little bit, but that just means more room for trains, right? :D And I guess those double doors won't be getting opened any time soon ;)
 
I don't think you need to be correcting other people's grammar.

Good work Will! It looks like you might be constricting the operator space a little bit, but that just means more room for trains, right? :D And I guess those double doors won't be getting opened any time soon ;)
It's not to constricting,movement is really easy around layout pics sometimes makes it look that way.and those double doors were the orignal entry way. Since remodel and combining rooms on the 2nd door entrance I installed a lift out section for easy entry.BTW since a few cant understand my post there is some punctuation for the tards.
 
Will, whats going on with your layout? You have a nice size layout in that room..
When are you going to start laying some track down?

Do you have any structures? im guessing you do since you stated earlier that you have a huge roster of locos and rolling stock!

What industry or industries will you have on this layout?

Im not sure if you stated what era this layout will be? Are you doing modern day?
 
Yes,modern day.structures are large cornerstone kits.placeing track now its gona take some time no plan this is freelance.
 
I have not had a operational layout in over a year so no one wants it done faster than me,but I'm not gona get in a rush and start making alot of mistakes.
 


Track is going down now.I wanted to tackle lift out section 1st because I have never done one got 1 line across and lined up got 1 more to go and yes they are as big of a pain in the butt as I thought. LOL!! Allready had a few language break downs with it probably gona be a few more today.
 
Here's 2 more pictures showing a 22 in. Curve from the Island to the Bridge on the Mainline.:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
will- are you going to use some kind of edge protector to keep your trains from hitting the floor if a accident occurs? We all know accidents do occur.

Your layout is starting to take shape, these are the fun times and the stressful times of laying track. Its cool putting track down but at times it can drive me nuts trying to decide where to lay it exactly;)
 
Yes on edge protection probably real thin cheap lexan or what every that they sell at lowes.and BTW wasn't much fun yesterday getting lift out section right took 6 hrs bent over and cussing it most of the day.LOL
 
Got a few hundred more feet of track to lay and figure out how I'm gona do it.but yesterday was a start started at lift out section and that generated ideas from there.
 
Thanks for the photos, Larry! Will, why aren't you going with 24" radius? Things might look more realistic and run a little bit better. Are you using sectional track?
 
Thanks for the photos, Larry! Will, why aren't you going with 24" radius? Things might look more realistic and run a little bit better. Are you using sectional track?

Because some areas just don't have the room for 24 degree. Using 36 inch flex mostly about the only sectional track is the turnouts.I'm sticking with 22 degree radius because of room and entry to islands.it will look realistic enough when I'm done that's only a small section so far I still have 2 33 foot long wall sections and another 4 x 9 island to deal with not to mention the French door span
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I'm a tard, but I wasn't talking about 24 degree curves; I meant 24" radius curves. Experience has taught me the hard way that sometimes less is more. Given that you want to operate 'modern' equipment, which tends to be longer, than say 40' box cars, and F7 cab units, it wouldn't hurt visually or operationally, to bump your radius up to 24". While I can understand the desire to get something running quickly(I haven't had a running layout since 2007), hurrying things, including ignoring important details like manufacturer's or NMRA suggested minimum radii, if you want to avoid frustrations such as constant derailments due to bad track/unreliable operation, in the future will only save you time, money, and ultimately frustration, down the road. Judging by some of the dimenisons of your space that you mentioned, you ought to be able to jump up from 22" to 24" radius, without to many problems. Experience has taught me that any corners cut up front, only add to woes down the line.

What ever you decide, good luck! Keep those photos and postings coming!
 


Guess I'm a tard, but I wasn't talking about 24 degree curves; I meant 24" radius curves. Experience has taught me the hard way that sometimes less is more. Given that you want to operate 'modern' equipment, which tends to be longer, than say 40' box cars, and F7 cab units, it wouldn't hurt visually or operationally, to bump your radius up to 24". While I can understand the desire to get something running quickly(I haven't had a running layout since 2007), hurrying things, including ignoring important details like manufacturer's or NMRA suggested minimum radii, if you want to avoid frustrations such as constant derailments due to bad track/unreliable operation, in the future will only save you time, money, and ultimately frustration, down the road. Judging by some of the dimenisons of your space that you mentioned, you ought to be able to jump up from 22" to 24" radius, without to many problems. Experience has taught me that any corners cut up front, only add to woes down the line.

What ever you decide, good luck! Keep those photos and postings coming!
Ok, show me how to fit a 24 degree radius half circle on a 4 foot wide table because 22 puts it edge to edge.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top