Computer room Switching layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


That switching layout is looking really good Josh. Definitely shows that you can get quite a bit of layout in an area without taking up too much "real" room. Very impressive.
 
Ya I agree youre definitely makin really good work out of the space you have. Im still trying to learn as much as I can about operational work by reading and stuff but it sure looks like the trackplan you have should keep you quite busy. Are you gonna have another operator with you or just yourself? Too bad your still not in Hancock I havent met one person up here yet with a layout. Although I bet youre not missing the recent bitter cold weve been having the last couple weeks or so.
 
jason412, Try tossing an email, or call to Rail Dreams in Lake Linden, they might know of people in the area.

It's designed specifically for one, but can be operated by 2, maybe 3.
 


Also, I have a question. Here we have the Walthers overhead crane, which will also be part of the scrap yard, however, I'm not sure how I should position it. Should the tracks be offset to one side or the other, (farther away from the office is shown) or centered (also shown)? The tracks will extend to the wall in the background, they're just temporary right now.
 
Lookin' good Josh!
I've seen tracks go thru the supports sideways with roads thru the others, and one of the scrap dealers I deal with has the tracks as you have them running thru concrete so trucks and forklifts can traverse the area as well.
As for the Redwing Milling building, is it going against the backdrop? I sliced mine in two and made an L shape with it for a corner. Most of my kits get split in half to stretch the dollar.
Keep up the good work!
Rico
 
Hummm, throw another idea at me why don't ya! I never though of putting it sideways. I'll take a picture of that option in a minute.

As for Red Wing Milling (will be re-named), yes, the rear wall will be cut off. I'm debating adding a Pikestuff steel wall addition to the rear too. The Grain silo will loose half of one silo to the backdrop.

The idea of cutting the buildings in half has come to me, and I was thinking of doing that across from my station, to make it look like the backs of some buildings in the downtown area.
 
Looks great Josh, especially the grain elevators. I plan to slice my Valley Cement 'bulk storage' warehouse down the middle, because I have no choice - the area where I plan to put it is too narrow for it to fit any other way!
 
Ok, here's the crane turned, I like the looks, but it causes one minor problem. I can't position the office structure properly. So question still is, lopsided track, or centered?

As for laying it in concrete, as Rico said he's seen, I've thought of that. I decided on laying it in dirt, as it is a scrap yard, they're more apt to have a dirt lot, then concrete. After all there will be excavators working there, along with the overhead crane.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If it was me Id go with the way you have it now. Just like Rico said about your Red Wing milling structure, you could also chop a part of the scrap yard building off thats against the backdrop so that it will fit properly. Before you know it you would have twice as many buildings as when you first started and didnt buy anymore lol. But even if you didnt chop it you could make some sort of wall or scene where the improper building would almost look proper due to its surroundings. Like maybe make it look like that was basically the only spot the building would fit. I just think the scrap yard's junk and heavy machinery will make the scene more then the building will. Then again im a noob to all this haha.
Jason
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I get what you're saying Jason. I want the building for an excavator maintenance shop, after all scrap yards are tough on their equipment. Plus if I keep most of the buildings square, they can be moved over to a future layout easier.
 
Ya I definitely agree about not cutting them if your gonna move them to a bigger layout. Im sure youll come up with something nifty.
Jason
 
Well after seeing your latest pic I agree it looks better the first way you had it. As for the track, will there be one or two as in the pics?
If one, I'd run it down one side to make room for trucks and machinery.
Laying the track in the dirt will look great, be sure to turn some rail on it's side and lay the head against the spikes to keep those flangways clean.
Also, if your crawlers and hoes will be crossing the track, we've made 1/1 scale road crossings with rails in place of timbers for durability. Lasts forever, but hard on the cleats when you spin them overtop!
I really have to dig for some pics...
 
Two tracks, though only one will be spotted at a time.

The crawlers pose that issue, damage to the rail from repeated crossing, turning, ect. Guess it comes with the territory. I figured dirt, as the crawler based tractors handle better in it, then pavement, or even wood.
 
Josh~ When you are running multiple tracks side by side like that, how much space are you putting between them?
 
2" eh? Excellent. Is that spacing guide a normal item to find at a LHS perhaps?


On second thought, I guess I could probably just make one huh? :rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Hey Josh~

I may have overlooked this but what DCC system are you going to be using on your new layout?

A thought came to mind when veiwing your track plan. You have an abandon spur that could become your program track?

Alco out!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top