Computer-aided photos for Sweethome Alabama

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Following a discussion on photography and depth of field in another forum, I downloaded a 4-week trial of some computer software called Helicon focus

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html

Simply put, the software takes a number of partially-focused photos and layers them on top of one another to produce a single perfectly focused shot.

Here are my first two attempts. The first photo used 16 layers and a tripod, the second used 8 layers and the camera was perched on the layout. I think a tripod is the way to go.

I had to reduce the size of the final images to get them under 2mb and I dare say I could have edited the photos further using Photoshop or Picasa3

11-07-20_hf1.jpg


11-07-20_hf2.jpg



I still have a way to go but am quite pleased with the results so far.

Jon
 
Nice work, Jon! Love the depth of field you've achieved -- makes models look much more like the real thing!

Regards,
Tom Stockton
 
yep, those photos are a really good candidates for "model or real life" competition. nicely done.

the tool looks comfortable, but the price structure is strange. 30$ would be doable, but only for a year? what are limitations of demo version?
 


Thanks for the favourable comments and helpful tips, guys. This is definitely the way to go.

I 've uploaded the third photo to Railimages, showing a CSX SD35 passing the West Yard at Sweethome Alabama. I used the Helicon Focus software again but also cropped and edited the photo in Picasa3, as well.

The full sized photo is on the SWA facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweethome-Alabama/201342969884638

11-07-23.jpg


Hopefully time for another one tonight

Jon
 
I've had a bit more practice with the new software and am finding new capabilities and functions all the time. I also decided to try a photo or two at Sweethome Chicago for comparison purposes. The photos were also cropped and edited using Picasa3.


11-07-25.jpg


11-07-22_181839_M_B_R_8_S_1.jpg


11-07-22_181839s.jpg


Jon
 
obviously the layout is of very high level. but i just looked up exif data on the images and want to say special thanks to the author - the images were taken with 5-6 year old "point-and-shoot" camera (albeit with some manual overrides hidden deep inside the menus ). these pictures are pretty much an answer to all the "oh the pics look bad because i used cheap point and shoot camera" . oh no, your camera is fine, its the operator who could have done better :)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top