Comparing loco brands for newbie

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Not trying to start a war, just need some general idea of the quality and price between brands. How would you guys rate the different brands by name (I understand the lists are personal preference). Just want some idea how the brands stack up and how they compare and a good value/price brand.
ASSUMING we are talking only about HO scale here. Currently Manufactured Units. Ignoring the brass and strictly European manufacturers. Amazing how many manufacturer's we have lost in the last 20 years.
Diesel - high quality & price
1. Atlas Master & Silver (depends if you want sound or not)
2. Athearn Genesis
3. Intermountain
4. Walther's Proto
5. Broadway Limited
6. Stewart Executive
7. Kato

Diesels Mid-Range
8. Athearn RTR
9. Atlas Classic
10. Stewart Tradition Line
11. Walther's Train Line
12. Bachmann Spectrum

13. Bachmann Regular line
14. Mehano
Diesels Low Range (toy train)
15. Model Power
16. Life Like

Unknowns - Fox Valley, Rapido, True Line Trains

Sound quality is not included as the way one feels about sound is dependent on one's ears.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Part 2 - once again we certainly have lost a lot of manufacturers
Steam - high quality & price
1. Walther's Heritage
2. Athearn Genesis
3. Broadway Limited
4. Intermountain
Mid-Range
5. Bachmann Spectrum
6. Fox Valley
7. Mehano
8. IHC
??? Bachman 2-6-0 Alco ???
Low Range (toy train)
9. Bachmann
10. Model Power
11. Life Like

Unknowns - True Line Trains
Seems like I am missing some. Hmmm?
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Thanks Iron Horse, great info. Tried to pm you but message got kicked back


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I went to my LHS today and picked up a few Intermountain locos that were on sale. I picked up an ES44AC Union Pacific w/flag DCC only and an ES44AC BNSF Heritage with Dcc and Loksound.


a21b66b7734d030da57ad5e28c3fc0bb.jpg


54f3e067ac2eededa3521802d06514d4.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Part 2 - once again we certainly have lost a lot of manufacturers
Steam - high quality & price
1. Walther's Heritage
2. Athearn Genesis
3. Broadway Limited
4. Intermountain
Mid-Range
5. Bachmann Spectrum
6. Fox Valley
7. Mehano
8. IHC
??? Bachman 2-6-0 Alco ???
Low Range (toy train)
9. Bachmann
10. Model Power
11. Life Like

Unknowns - True Line Trains
Seems like I am missing some. Hmmm?

I just wanted to annoy my favorite professor and point out they are all TOY TRAINS :)
 
I have personal experience with only 4 brands of locos: Life Like, Model Power, Kato and Athearn RTR. Obviously the latter two are light years ahead of my other engines in terms of detail, build quality and running ability. There's also a large price difference, so they should be better. Some of my friends in the hobby have run Bachmann engines with great success and they do seem to be a nice value for the price. In terms of ranking my locos, I'd say...

1a. Athearn AC4400CW
1b. Kato SD40-2

2. Model Power
3. Life Like

There's a huge difference between the 1's and 2/3.

EngineAthearnAC4400CW.jpg
Athearn AC4400CW - $100 at a local hobby shop.

EngineKatoSD40_2.jpg
Kato SD40-2 - $119 online.
 
I went to my LHS today and picked up a few Intermountain locos that were on sale. I picked up an ES44AC Union Pacific w/flag DCC only and an ES44AC BNSF Heritage with Dcc and Loksound.
Well, it is a good thing you made those corners larger on the layout. Those are some seriously large locomotives.
 
I have personal experience with only 4 brands of locos: Life Like, Model Power, Kato and Athearn RTR. Obviously the latter two are light years ahead of my other engines in terms of detail, build quality and running ability. There's also a large price difference, so they should be better. Some of my friends in the hobby have run Bachmann engines with great success and they do seem to be a nice value for the price. In terms of ranking my locos, I'd say...

1a. Athearn AC4400CW
1b. Kato SD40-2

2. Model Power
3. Life Like

There's a huge difference between the 1's and 2/3.

View attachment 45793
Athearn AC4400CW - $100 at a local hobby shop.

View attachment 45794
Kato SD40-2 - $119 online.


They look nice!
 


Well, it is a good thing you made those corners larger on the layout. Those are some seriously large locomotives.

Lol yes it is, glad you recommended that! My newly purchased BLI class J 4-8-4 611 would not have run on my original layout. It runs good on these tracks without issue. I've always wanted a ES44AC since I saw them. My son wanted the UP w/flag and I wanted a BNSF. So of course his was coming first, but my LHS made me a deal I couldn't pass on the UP w/flag dcc and a BNSF dcc w/sound.

Did you see the pics I posted of the layout you did for me? It rocks!
 
Did you see the pics I posted of the layout you did for me? It rocks!
Yes, I was trying to find words. ... All I am able to muster is that I think it looks better in real life than it did on paper. Seems more spacious and open than I envisioned it being.
 
We are very happy with it! I'm having some difficulty figuring out how to put Caboose switches in a few spots where 2 tracks are close together or near the edge. Room does not allow installing a switch. I thought about switching 4 turnouts to the Peco brand to elevate the problem. Do I need to install switches? I am using manual switches. Any recommendations?
Left switch is this pic
81417deff0e897fde61702271b64661d.jpg

Switch to close to edge
5e9fe7b5dd7a40b7c0fe2b8382fb24ce.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
You can use under-table switch machines.
If you want to go manual, you can bend some stiff wire to go into the hole in the switch, and a couple of small eyebolts to support the wire
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top