ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
So, I've got two kits I've finished up for my up and coming
Albany and Susquehanna: Blair Line's Cash Mine Works, and Martinsburg Coal Company (I don't recall who made it, Blair Line perhaps?) Anyway, the kits are together and both look absolutely amazing. All that's left is a bit more weathering, and coloring the roofing paper. But I want to look before I leap!
Both kits have wooden roofs that are covered in tape-like paper panels. I realize that, ideally, they should be a blackish greenish color, but my question is this: how do I go about
getting them that color? Since they're paper, I figure I only have one shot at this and I want to make sure I get it right!
What color are they now? If they are already a dark color, I'd weather them with chalks until you get the look you want and seal the roofs with dullcote. If they are light color, try some different mixtures of acrylic paints on some of the leftover roofing paper. Roll roofing comes in a number of colors including black, red, green, and blue so you really have a wide range you can try.
rolled roofing/tar paper can be made with paper masking tape using mostly grimey black in my case. You can use multiple coats, bordering on dry brushing to get the effect/color/shade you like. Do the painting before you apply it, that will make the variations more realistic.
here's what mine looks like, it isn't prefect but may give you some ideas:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11110
Very cool. That stick on paper the kit came with is textureless paper.
I'm on the way to the dollar store now! Thankfully, I live in NYC, so there's a dollar store on every block.
Thanks for the tip- I think this is going to turn out very well!
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)