ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I plan on weathering some Walthers ore cars that are colored brown. To fade the cars before the main weathering, I plan on using acrylic white as a base with a tint of Grimy Black or Rail Brown to "cut" the white color. I will mix the paint 10% White, 2% Grimy Black and the balance 70% alcohol. I will apply using an air brush in light coats.
For my fading I use some watered down (acrylic) light brown (or khaki) with a little gray added for the first coats with the airbrush. Not sure of the % however mixed it the way some people cook (looks good to me). My tip is wide so I use several light coats. I used only water.
That gives the dust and fade appearance. I usually follow with a second step of watered down black with a little gray added to darken along the bottom of the cars and ends.
Still experimenting with roof treatments, however irrelevant to ore cars.
I am a newbie with the airbrush so am interested in reading all the replies!
Yesterday, I tried a mix of Camo Gray and Rail Brown which I brushed on a sample box car. The color looks almost right, but need to use an air brush to be certain and more light layers of paint I used Camo Gray since white maybe too bright and need a lot of toning down.
Please still offer you ideas and methods since weathering has so many different approaches and ideas.
i use all testors products in this, Works pretty good.i add about 8-10 drops of White Enamal Paint to bottle of Dullcote Lacquer (1.75 oz bottle). I fill airbrush cup 2/3 Dullcote, 1/3 Lacquer Thinner. Spray light coats onto car or engine, as many as you want. between coat I use a hairdrier to dry each coat. I like it works pretty damn good I think