Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Ken, did you get the replacement drive coupling when Walthers offered it?

Our first decoder installation involved re-milling the weight on a Bachman H 16-4-4, to fit a MRC decoder, using a Dremel. Messy but it worked. Loco still operates.

I need to re-work the drive, and figure out a decoder installation. I wonder if one of the hardwire drop in decoders designed for P2k EMD sws might work. I think NCE does one specific for the Sw900.

I really don't know what I'm getting in to, but the engine looks good.

Joe
 
Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Thursday, April 11, 2013

anim_coffee.png


POUR_COFFEE.png


:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON IN
 


Joe, I burned up a Dremel milling down the weight in an Atlas geep to make room for a speaker enclosure (no prob, I already had another newer one). Then I read somewhere that Dremel motors were never designed for that type of metal work, a lathe or drill press is the best way to go. I never knew there was a problem with the drive, since I had dismantled my layout shortly after I got it.

Karl - no hint intended, just a wistful remark (think Wizard of Oz, "If I only had a ______.")

Gonna be warm here again today - always 5-10* above what the dart throwers predict!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
funny thing is i just realized i have no switchers !!!!! hummm wow cant believe i dont have 1 at all ,nahh i gotta have 1 somewhere , i remember i had a sw1500 bb that i bought back in the 90s , where did that go hummm
 
Good Morning:

59° and overcast at the Jersey Shore. Didn't look at what the guessers are calling for since they never get it right. What happens, happens.

Over the years, I've collected a few Dremels, including a Craftsman clone, and a battery Dremel. When my sons were home, they even used them for automotive projects. A lathe or drill press would be nice, but I have little need. Maybe inserting a Dremel collett into a 18v 3/8" drill chuck?????

I'm going to disassemble the SW1 later today, and take a look.

Have a great day!

Joe
 
I have one of those myself that was mothballed for ~14 years. I tested it and it still runs. But it needs a decoder installed, and I lack the shop infrastructure to do the required milling.
If you're wanting DCC/sound yes you'll have to do some milling. If motor/light control is all you need a Digitrax DZ125 can be tucked in almost anywhere due to it's small size.
 
Jeffery- You are a smart comparison shopper.
Is there one or two places you find to have decent prices on the DZ125?

This inquiring cheapskate wants to know!
thanks,
 
Jeffery- You are a smart comparison shopper.
Is there one or two places you find to have decent prices on the DZ125?

This inquiring cheapskate wants to know!
thanks,
I pick up mine from Ebay. I see one right now that's $21.99 with free shipping. If I was looking to buy one I'd be all over that!

*

Good morning. It's 43° with 100% humidity. The high will be 65°.
condmc-1.jpg
cond70.jpg


Widespread thunderstorms with 30 to 40 mph winds seem to be the rule today. We've already had some rather heavy storms this morning. Think I'll stay inside today. There's plenty of cleanup work on the layout that needs to be done. I also have plenty of movies and documentaries I can watch.

DSCN2993.jpg
 


looks like my plans for a canoe trip are out of the question for today. We'll be having some severe storms moving across the state today. So, I guess I'll be in the garage making a mess out of engine parts instead. I might even un-bury the table saw and get started on some benchwork for the layout finally.

All this if it doesn't tornado today.
 
Thanks, Jeffery!
I'll start watching ebay and Amazon more closely when I get some time-consuming personal business concluded.
Hope you didn't have any wind damage today.
The storm front is moving into the Birmingham area right now. An active afternoon for the area!
Thanks again.
 
Joe, I burned up a Dremel milling down the weight in an Atlas geep to make room for a speaker enclosure (no prob, I already had another newer one). Then I read somewhere that Dremel motors were never designed for that type of metal work, a lathe or drill press is the best way to go. I never knew there was a problem with the drive, since I had dismantled my layout shortly after I got it.

Karl - no hint intended, just a wistful remark (think Wizard of Oz, "If I only had a ______.")

Gonna be warm here again today - always 5-10* above what the dart throwers predict!

Ken
This is why I do 95% of my milling with a band saw, drills, metal files or bench grinder. Save the Dremel for the final clean up. ;)

If I only had a _________, I'd be dangerous! :D
 
Looks like fair weather for the next seven days with maybe a small shower thrown in here and there. Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN2949.jpg
 
It's 46° and overcast right now. Never got over 55° today.

I can tell it's overcast, because I can hear the SA-31 (My old job) blowing for the crossings through Lakewood, as it makes its weekly trip down the remanent of the CNJ Southern Branch. Even though the tracks are a couple of miles away, and the house is closed up, that horn sounds like it's right outside.

Installed Digitrax decoders (DN135PS) in my HO Atlas GP9, and HO Atlas Trainmaster.
I opened up the Atlas RS3, but that needs a drop in replacement board. Both engines run well. The Trainmaster was new in 2006, but sat in a box until now.

Since tomorrow is supposed to be rainy, I will do more work on the layout.

Good night!

Joe
 
Today turned out interesting. While I was working a small rain-wrapped tornado passed by across the street. It ended up blowing a sign down on top of my Jeep. Awesome. Turned out nobody was injured and there were nothing more than some scratches on the Jeep. The sign was about to be taken down anyways, so it all worked out fairly well in the end.
 
Installed Digitrax decoders (DN135PS) in my HO Atlas GP9, and HO Atlas Trainmaster.
I opened up the Atlas RS3, but that needs a drop in replacement board. Both engines run well. The Trainmaster was new in 2006, but sat in a box until now.
I have one of the Atlas H24-66 Trainmaster locos. It runs very well on 22" radius but will take 18" radius and can go through turnouts as tight as #4 as long as it's not going too fast. It's a good puller.
 


Good morning. It's 43°F with 100% humidity. It will be sunny with a high of 75°F.
cond026.gif


Still have some more clutter to clean up on the layout. Surprising how fast it builds up. I have a train running this morning. Three geeps and a slug pulling twenty-seven cars. I'll switch them out later and give the FP7's a run.

DSCN2925.jpg
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top