Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Morning...

We have freezing fog here with a bit of sun peeking through the clouds every so often...

Have some things need doing today...again....dang bloodwork for vampire visit and other med appointments as well....sigh....
 
Good morning. It's 61°F with 100% humidity. The high will be a wet 72°F.
cond006.gif
cond80.jpg


I'm still waiting for the last Atlas FP7 I ordered. The delivery estimate was between the 19th and 27th and that time is rapidly running out. There's no tracking number indicated so I can't tell where it is at this time. Maybe it'll come in today. If it doesn't no great loss. I only paid $20 for it.

The possibility of any outdoor work today is pretty much nixed by the weather. The weather guesser says 80% (or more)chance of severe thunderstorms. It ought to be interesting.

Layout work is on the agenda today. If I don't get it cleaned up a junk dealer will probably move in and take up squatters rights! There's locos, cars, cameras, tools, bits and pieces of projects and assorted junk all over.

dscn3180.jpg
 
Good morning folks.

It's a dreary, overcast day. At least the snow is melting!

Spent part of yesterday looking at houses. We found a few that were almost perfect. There just wasn't enough room for a proper layout in the almost perfect ones. It was actually my wife that is insisting on having enough room to accommodate my current or future layout! I don't think my realtor has had "room for trains" on a list of must haves before!:D Knowing what's out there currently, we will now wait to see what comes on the market this spring. Most people around here wait until late March/early April to list. If there are snow storms or whatever they won't get any buyers to look.

I hope everyone is well.
 


Hi gang, I've refrained from sharing this news of an ongoing family crisis because I didn't want to turn this into a soap opera. Its been a flippin' roller coaster of good news, bad news, good news, bad news...

In mid-December, my sister Kris (age 56) suffered a rupture of her lower intestine. Since she and her husband Don lived so far from any major metropolitan area, the local hospital near Mercersburg (PA) didn't think they could deal with it, so another 7 hours passed before they got her to Harrisburg Hospital for the emergency surgery. Obviously that was more than enough time for the poison to circulate throughout her entire bloodstream. They put her on all kinds of antibiotics, sedatives and pain killers, and has been on a ventilator for the past 2 months.

The ICU doctor told Don that he'd notify him as soon as he thought the treatment was doing her more harm than good. He called with that assessment on Sunday.

Kris had prepared a living will instructing her next-of-kin NOT to leave her hooked up to artificial life support in a vegetative state. We honored her wishes; the hospital withdrew everything except the morphine and sedatives. She passed peacefully 2 hours later.

Rest in Peace, Little Sister!
 
Ken: Sorry to hear of your sisters passing. She probably would have had a chance had the hospital gotten her to proper medical care immediately. A seven hour delay in a life threatening situation like that is inexcusable.
 
I got a little layout work done today and hope to get more done tomorrow. Still waiting on my Atlas FP7 to arrive. It looks like the nasty weather for tonight is over with and all is quiet.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN3166.jpg
 
Thanks Karl. I'm hoping everything will settle down once the funeral is over on Thursday. At the moment I am, to paraphrase Pink Floyd, "comfortably numb".

Ken:

Sorry for your loss. It is really hard to comprehend, considering what you related. 56 is just too young.

Joe
 


Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Tuesday, February 26, 2013.

anim_coffee.png


WRRWHC.JPG


:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's 43° with 68% humidity. The high will be 60°.
pcloudy-1.jpg


Woke up this morning and felt like I'd been dipped in ink and dropped in a coal mine. The room was absolutely pitch black. The power was out so I had to turn on the little emergency light on the wall at the head of my bed. Now that I had some light I could see to turn on the electric lantern and light the room. By my pocket watch it was 3:15. The power came back on at 5:02. I checked the DVR and it indicated a stopped recording at 2:10. The cause of this? The weather guesser was wrong again. The report said the bad weather was over with last night. If by bad weather they meant rain they were right. But the bad weather was far from over with. Along about 1:00 am we got the biggest wind storm so far this year and it was still howling when I woke up at 3:15. It's still going right now but is diminished somewhat. Wind gusts are 30-40 mph.

My plan today is to get some more of the clutter off the layout. But you know, it almost never fails. About the time I pick up the second or third object the phone will ring and my plans will be put on hold.

DSCN3164.jpg
 
Good morning folks.

The house hunt continues. My wife and I are reconsidering a house we saw on Sunday. It's a 2800 square foot, five bedroom, three bath house with a three car garage for the two of us! It has a large basement with room for my home theater setup, pinball machine, and would accommodate a pool table as well. I gave my pool table away when I moved back to Mankato and kind of miss it. One of the bedrooms is 11x15, which would be a decent size area to build a respectable layout. The only problem is the woodwork needs help. The kitchen cabinets, trim, and hardwood floors need refinishing. This is certainly something I can do, but the thought of stripping, sanding, and finishing ALL of the woodwork doesn't sound fun. I think it would be worth it for the shear size of the house. I'm ready to buy it but my wife wants to shop around.:rolleyes: I guess I'll make a show of considering other homes just to please her!:D

That's all I know.
Have a good day everyone.
 
Good Morning!

It's 38° this morning in Howell, NJ and it's overcast - as usual. It is so chronically overcast, that I suspect that Joe Btfsplk has taken up residence in the neighborhood.

I have a P2k gondola kit to finish, and today appears the day to do it.

Have a great day.

Joe
 
Who knows Corey, you still might find a house with an unfinished basement!

That's another possibility. I can get a better price with an unfinished basement. I know I can finish it myself but I don't know if I'll have the cash to do it any time soon. I guess I would have no choice but to fill it with trains!:D
 


Thanx everybody for the condolences regarding my late sister. I only saw her 2-3 times a year, so the trauma isn't as bad as losing a spouse. But OMG the memories just keep flooding my mind! The Pink Floyd song Shine On You Crazy Diamond keeps echoing in my head too.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top