Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Better hurry up and install em as soon as you buy one, cuz 1 day after the warranty is after the warranty, they don't care if the Tsunami has been on your bench for months while you waited for another part to arrive.
Guess how I know this.:(

Most companies are like that. In your shoes I would have been irritated too, but they have to control those costs somehow. I've only toasted two Tsunamis over the years, both due to stupid mistakes, and not during installs. Once by misconnecting a micro plug, and once by running against a switch. :mad:
 
Well for right now, he says he's through with sound. He's found that, just like me, sound gives him a bad headache after about 10 minutes. I have only one loco with sound, and I'm beginning to think that that's one too many.
Amen to that! I bought a sound loco soon after I went to DCC. At first it was OK but after about five minutes it started getting old really fast. In fact it was downright annoying no matter what volume it was set at! I couldn't give the thing away fast enough and I haven't had a sound equipped loco on my layout since.



Went to Wal-Mart this morning with my father so we could both pick up some things we needed. Then it was over to the Waffle Shoppe for breakfast. No goodies in the mail today. Maybe tomorrow.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lol! Yes, I'm still doing that Alan. It seems that I'm becoming the DCC/Sound guy for almost everyone around here. I don't mind that at all, as it gives me something to do other than build/paint cars, locos, and the layout.

They do have volume controls on those things you know... We have had some huge issues at the club with volume. I like to hear the loco when it's approaching where I'm standing, (from say 5 feet away and the same as it leaves. If the guys two aisles over can hear your loco, turn it down! Most of my volume CV's are at 50% or less, some as low as 30%. Makes it less annoying, more enjoyable. Last season I operated at a club members home layout. His layout, his motive power...none of this "run what ya brung" stuff (like the old days at Deagon's). Most of his models had no sound. It was actually refreshing. Just operators talking to the dispatcher or each other, and the whisper of wheels on rail. No cacaphony.

I don't put sound in everything, it's just too danged expensive, and some of my brass is too valuable to cut up, but some are nice with it added. As with all things, moderation is the key!

PS: You could build structures and do scenery! :p
 


I have a N scale microtrains FT A+B set....just DC. I like the natural sounds it makes straining a bit while pulling a 35 car train. I get some pretty good clickity clack sounds just from little metal wheels. I'm not against DCC sound except for me I'd rather have other things for the money.


Mike
 
Wow! I had fun this afternoon spending someone else's money for a change on "train stuff".
Modeltrainstuff.com has Classic Metal N scale vehicles on sale, some over 50% off.
I bought 20 vehicles for the Wrecking Crew N scale layout. I can still see the vehicles, but the figures are getting closer to blending with the scenery!

Maybe the bright colored trucks and cars will perk up the layout.
y'all have a nice day, ya hear!
 
He developed the allergy after they moved from downtown Baltimore to a suburb 5 miles north; their business model changed from being a full-service hobby shop to being like a big-box store [like a 'Home Depot' of model trains - pun not intended].
 
He developed the allergy after they moved from downtown Baltimore to a suburb 5 miles north; their business model changed from being a full-service hobby shop to being like a big-box store [like a 'Home Depot' of model trains - pun not intended].
Is that complete with the store associates that disappear the nanosecond you look like you might need help?
 
According to package tracking I should have a couple of goodies coming in tomorrow. It should be two Atlas FP7's. There may be a couple of other items tomorrow. If not tomorrow then a couple more days.

I'm very tired, so it's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN1162.jpg
 


Is that complete with the store associates that disappear the nanosecond you look like you might need help?

Yeah, and look at your your some kind of idiot when you ask for something they may have to look up to see what it is.:mad:

I used to love the downtown store, I didn't even mind the steel bars over the windows, or the whinos peeing on the dumpster at the parking lot under the expressway. If not anything the place had ambiance!:rolleyes: The help inside was always fantastic.

Then they move to suburbia (sort of) and at that time my office was a block away. I thought great! Then I went in looking for a part, and after chasing somebody down for assistance the indignant attitude I had to deal with was almost ridiculous. I wound up driving out of my way to another shop to get what i needed.
Online, in store, or at the Timonium shows, Klein's gets no more from me.:eek: The way I see it, they need me, I don't need them. I can get what I need from other sources, usually cheaper.:cool:
 
They do have volume controls on those things you know...

PS: You could build structures and do scenery! :p

My sound unit is at 25%. But like you said, most want it loud. That's why I always carry tylenol, dilaudid...:p

Yes I could do structures or scenery, but layout ain't complete yet, and I have no more storage for built structures. So there nyaah!;)
 
Yeah, and look at your your some kind of idiot when you ask for something they may have to look up to see what it is.:mad:

I used to love the downtown store, I didn't even mind the steel bars over the windows, or the whinos peeing on the dumpster at the parking lot under the expressway. If not anything the place had ambiance!:rolleyes: The help inside was always fantastic.

Then they move to suburbia (sort of) and at that time my office was a block away. I thought great! Then I went in looking for a part, and after chasing somebody down for assistance the indignant attitude I had to deal with was almost ridiculous. I wound up driving out of my way to another shop to get what i needed.
Online, in store, or at the Timonium shows, Klein's gets no more from me.:eek: The way I see it, they need me, I don't need them. I can get what I need from other sources, usually cheaper.:cool:
Gee, and I thought I was the only one that didn't stand up and salute when the name MB Klein was uttered.
After being called a liar when I told them a windshield wiper on a mail order brass locomotive was missing,I have tried to find my trains elsewhere.
 
After being called a liar when I told them a windshield wiper on a mail order brass locomotive was missing,I have tried to find my trains elsewhere.
I've had no dealing with MB Klien myself and I don't intend to. Too many of my friends have been burned by them including a couple who kept getting the old runaround when it came to getting missing items in an order replaced. I mean, when you order ten of something and get only seven of that something and the order is called 'complete', there's something wrong with somebody's math. They did eventually get the missing items to fill out the order, from another company.
 
Good Morning:

It's foggy and 33° F this morning in Central NJ. Supposed to become somewhat sunny and go up into the 40s.

Our trip begins a little later after we board the kitty. Hopefully all will go well.

Have a great day!
 
Gee, and I thought I was the only one that didn't stand up and salute when the name MB Klein was uttered.
After being called a liar when I told them a windshield wiper on a mail order brass locomotive was missing,I have tried to find my trains elsewhere.

The last time I was in Klein's downtown store was back in 1986, before I was relocated to Jersey. I'm sure they don't get everything right, but I never really had a problem with them. They are certainly better than the trolls and fly by nights that are/were in Central NJ. And their prices are definitely better.

Joe
 
Good morning. It's 31° with 100% humidity and patchy fog. It'll be sunny with a high of 62°.
cond026.gif


Well I looked outside and it is indeed foggy. That thick cut-it-with-a-knife, feel-your-way-with-a-toothpick type of fog and from what I can see it is indeed patchy, one big patch!

I should be getting some items in the mail today and hopefully a certain package from Canada. With this stuff I'll be able to work on some more projects.

No particular plans for today. I should be able to do some more vacuuming on the layout provided that I'm not interrupted.

DSCN1204-1.jpg
 
morning 62* and overcast we are supposed to be getting a soaking from today till sat , & they are having the parade of lights in ft myers sat nite should be interesting lol
 


Good morning folks.

It's cloudy with a little snow here and there. The temps are suppose to drop all day to a low of zero tonight. Sheesh, I was just getting use to the highs of forty the past two days. Oh well, it is only February.

Sunday I spent some time changing the wheels and couplers on my recently acquired Rivarossi passenger cars. I installed Proto 33" wheels to give it some more height without having to totally shave away the brakes. I also changed half the couplers to long shank kadees to give me a little more space between the cars for my curves. I found that using two regular couplers was too close and two long couplers was too far. I feel like Goldilocks with my spacing just right!:) They also roll nicely with the upgraded wheels.

All other work on the layout has come to a halt since the decision has been made to purchase a house. Room for the trains is on the list of must haves for the new digs. I just don't know whether I'll push for a bedroom or part of a basement. I guess I'll see what my budget affords me.

Time to get back to work.
Have a good day everyone.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top