ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I didn't do much today. Put a few things away. Pulled the rear number boards on the Pathmark GP40 and cleaned the silver paint off them. They came painted over from the factory. Now they look much better. I like seeing them light up when I run the loco in reverse. They don't have numbers but they didn't have any in the first place so no loss.
Bill T doesn't just get up with the chickens, He's the guy who runs around and gets the chickens up!
Got some chores to handle before trains today. Went yard saling yesterday. Scored a bunch of Herpa and Con-Cor tractor trailer sets, new in the box for 3 bucks each. Bought all 8 of em!
Hmmmm, there may be something to this "tagging along with the wife" thing after all!
When my church does their annual "white elephant" sale, I notice that all the really desirable items get snagged by the people doing the setup, before the sale even opens to the public.
When my church does their annual "white elephant" sale, I notice that all the really desirable items get snagged by the people doing the setup, before the sale even opens to the public.
Good morning. It's 65° with 100% humidity and a small chance of rain. The high will be 80°.
The plan for today if you can call it that is to clean up the layout some. When I can see where things are without having to hunt for them will be good enough. Other than that I'll watch some movies and maybe catch up on my sleep a bit.
When my church does their annual "white elephant" sale, I notice that all the really desirable items get snagged by the people doing the setup, before the sale even opens to the public.
Last church sale we went to we found a few things....someone dumped one of these things ...and, of course, I picked it up...no one else knew what it was...heeheehee...
Last church sale we went to we found a few things....someone dumped one of these things ...and, of course, I picked it up...no one else knew what it was...heeheehee...
Did some cleanup work on the layout today. It looks somewhat better. I put the new GP40 to work. It's on the head-end of a four loco consist of two GP40's (one Bachmann on GP38-2 chassis, one Atlas with Bachmann shell), a FM H24-66 (Atlas) and my U30E645 (Atlas). There are two other four loco consists on the layout awaiting their turn. One is made up of two Bachmann GP7's, a GP35 (rebuild) and a slug (Frankenloco). The other is made up of four FP7's. One is stock E-R Models power, one is a completely stock Atlas, one is an Atlas with PPW power and one is an Atlas with Athearn power.
Karl, good luck on your first day of the new job tomorrow! I sure wish I'd have stayed at your house just a little bit longer before I tried to install a decoder on this P2K geep (the one we put the new gears in). I can't for the life of me, figure out where the power from the right-hand rail wheels comes from! (I started a separate thread about this.) So I didn't get any more decoders installed after I got home.
Karl, good luck on your first day of the new job tomorrow! I sure wish I'd have stayed at your house just a little bit longer before I tried to install a decoder on this P2K geep (the one we put the new gears in). I can't for the life of me, figure out where the power from the right-hand rail wheels comes from! (I started a separate thread about this.) So I didn't get any more decoders installed after I got home.
Karl, good luck on your first day of the new job tomorrow! I sure wish I'd have stayed at your house just a little bit longer before I tried to install a decoder on this P2K geep (the one we put the new gears in). I can't for the life of me, figure out where the power from the right-hand rail wheels comes from! (I started a separate thread about this.) So I didn't get any more decoders installed after I got home.
Is that one of the geeps that has only one wire coming off the trucks? If that's the case it has what is known as a 'hot' frame like the Athearn blue box locos. The decoders right rail pickup wire (red) can be connected anywhere on the frame to complete the circuit to the rail. It also means the motor is grounded to the frame and must be isolated. In many cases this means there's a tab going from one of the motor brush contacts to the frame. Removing or cutting this tab should successfully isolate the motor. If it's an Athearn type motor and I'm betting it is this tab will on the bottom of the motor and can be easily removed AFTER the motor is separated from the frame. The tab looks like two fingers coming off the bottom of the motor. smash them flat or break them off. After this is removed place a strip of electrical tape in the bottom of the motor well. Carefully solder a wire to the bottom contact on the motor then place the motor back in the frame. This wire will connect to the gray wire on your decoder.