Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


... We did kinda dodge a bullet today. Earlier in the week they were forecasting a wintry mix for us today. Fortunately our temps were in the 60's and the ice that had been forecast up to a couple of days ago, never materialized. ...
Carey,

We got another taste of winter here in MD today. 'Only' ~2 inches; the way some of these idiots were driving, I almost wish it had been more - so they wouldn't have felt so 'invincible'. They never seem to get it through their thick heads that a 4WD cannot stop any faster on a snow-slicked highway than a plain ol' sedan. How do I know this? I almost totalled my Honda in February 2008 driving 'normal' on a road with ~1/2-inch of snow on it, when somebody suddenly cut in front of me. Good thing there wasn't any other vehicle in the opposing lane, I spun a 180 and slammed into the curb on the other side of the road. Such an experience has a lot of teaching power! Unfortunately, the Bozo's who were tailgating me today had no way of knowing that...:mad:

On a brighter note, I got quite a bit of decalling done on my B&O engine fleet this evening, the weather was perfect for this type of activity!;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Saturday, January 26, 2013

Morning_Coffee.png


arcolainpenn.png


:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON
 
Carey,

...I spun a 180 and slammed into the curb on the other side of the road. Such an experience has a lot of teaching power! Unfortunately, the Bozo's who were tailgating me today had no way of knowing that...:mad:

...

Ken, if you've read on here about our snow last week, the morning after, Pam was hit by someone who couldn't realize that either. He spun, hit the guardrail, spun into Pam, who then spun 360` into the median. Fortunately, he has good insurance, the car is in the shop. She has a rental until its fixed.

Well its bedtime. I've finally got the pain in my shoulders down enough to go to sleep. RSD is a *itch!
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Tomorrow arvo (afternoon for the non-Aussies) has been scheduled as an "all American running day" at the club, but with the weather that's going to hit us here about that time (heavy rain and wind from a deep depression that's been slowly working it's way down the coast), not looking good to be out on the roads. Expected falls of 500mm (20") over the next 2 days with possible flash flooding. Has already caused major flooding and damage to the north.

Tornadoes have destroyed quite a number of houses as it moves this way. Fingers crossed we don't get a weather event in the hills behind us like they had in the Lockyer Valley in 2011. Just to help matters along this weather is going to coincide with extreme high tides, not good when the landscape is pretty flat. (Caboolture rail station about 1/2 a mile south of me is 24ft above sea level and the next one down is only 14ft above).
 
Good morning, from the land of ice and ice. It started snowing at 10 am, then quickly changed to sleet and freezing rain.
I got sent home from work yesterday at 1 o'clock because of the weather. I drove the 22 miles home in just under two hours. A full size 2WD pickup truck does not a good bobsled make. I was the fastest thing on the road, at a blistering 25 mph. On the freeway. Sometimes that felt recklessly fast. Only one guy (in a 4WD Suburban) passed me, and I soon passed him spun out against the guardrail.
Now, today, I get to drive to the mountains near Asheville. It should be fun, though my sister in law that lives there says they didn't get much in the way of weather. We'll see.
 
Good morning folks.

It's zero degrees and sunny as I type this. Tomorrow morning we are to have freezing rain and then snow on top of it. How the heck can it not just be snow when we've have highs between zero and ten degrees lately?:rolleyes:

I came home to my cows on the layout having escaped! My wife told me one of them wanted to go for a ride and jumped into the back of the farm pick up! The other ones must have jumped the fence as well and wandered into the woods behind the barn. Those pesky cows, who knew they could jump so well!:D

Have a great weekend everyone.
 
Happy Saturday!

After the temp had dropped to 7°F overnight, it warmed to 16°F by 8AM. Looks like temps will be back in the 50s by Monday. I still have to remove the 1"+ of powder from the driveway this morning.

Have a great weekend!

Joe
 
Good morning. It's 60° with 100% humidity and dense fog. It'll be cloudy with a high of 72°.
condmc-1.jpg


Nothing in particular planned for today. I may work on cleaning up the layout later.

P1010303.jpg
 
... Those pesky cows, who knew they could jump so well!:D...
Legend has it, they can even jump over objects in outer space...:rolleyes:

...I will be making a train shed out back, and yes climate control is part of the package. I've been tossing the idea of a wall unit like at a motel. They go in pretty inexpensively. ...
That's what I did for my garage layout. A 12500-BTU heat pump for a 24x24x8 cubic ft space. I got it setup to run on its own dedicated 250v circuit - apparently those don't demand as much current as the 120v ones do. I'm not an EE so I can't do the math to prove it, but I remember my electric bill didn't jump perceptibly after I installed it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks.

It's zero degrees and sunny as I type this. Tomorrow morning we are to have freezing rain and then snow on top of it. How the heck can it not just be snow when we've have highs between zero and ten degrees lately?:rolleyes:

...

Have a great weekend everyone.

The answer is simple Corey. ;) What is going to generate the freezing rain is a layer of warm air, (could just be a couple of degrees above freezing), below the dendrite zone. The dendrite zone is the level in the atmosphere where snowflakes are formed. As the snow falls, it goes through this warm (er) layer of air, and melts into rain. It then falls into the colder air closer to the surface. Trouble is, it doesn't have time to re-freeze into sleet, so it hits the ground as rain, and the ground, trees, power lines etc, re-freezes it into ice.
 


The answer is simple Corey. ;) What is going to generate the freezing rain is a layer of warm air, (could just be a couple of degrees above freezing), below the dendrite zone. The dendrite zone is the level in the atmosphere where snowflakes are formed. As the snow falls, it goes through this warm (er) layer of air, and melts into rain. It then falls into the colder air closer to the surface. Trouble is, it doesn't have time to re-freeze into sleet, so it hits the ground as rain, and the ground, trees, power lines etc, re-freezes it into ice.

And generates havoc for everyone. Looks like what we are in store for on Monday. :(.
 
It's past bed time, but the Edmonton - Calgary game CGY 4-2 early in the 3rd on CBC, is too good to turn off, (Center Ice Preview).

It's 18°F dropping to at least the predicted 14°F before rising to above freezing 33° - 34° on Sunday. The almost full moon looks nice on the remaining snow.

Spent a good amount of time operating the layout this evening, if I used train sheets, they would have been filled.

Jeffrey, used your advice and downloaded Adblock Simple for both IE and Firefox. Solved the ad problem. Once the ads intruded on the NWS sight, it was too much to put up with.

Have a good night.
 
Good morning. It's 57° with 100% humidity and fog. It'll be cloudy with a high of 75°.
condmc-1.jpg


I have a train running as I type this. Three geeps on the head end of a general freight and a SW1500 and F unit slug pushing. I have the 1500 running in reverse behind the slug. It seems to be happiest there.

The only layout related plans for today are general clearing of clutter. My plastic scale ruler is crumbling on me so I downloaded a printable scale ruler PDF file from Miniature Planet and printed a new one on heavy card stock and sealed it with a good coat of Valspar Clear Flat. It should work well until I can get another clear plastic one.

DSCN1041.jpg
 
Happy Sunday!

It's 11°F and sunny in Central Jersey, going up to 32° (+ or -).

Have a great day.

Joe
 
Good Afternoon...

Lost time due to a power outage this morning...dang pole knocked down, down the road from us...yay

Got to get a few "survival" groceries before we get the snow/freezing rain/ice pellets/rain...who knows what...
 
Well, the expected really bad storm bypassed my neck o' the woods with only moderate rain and only some high wind. The sun is even poking it's nose though at times. Didn't get down to the club yesterday as all the warnings were to stay off the roads. Going by what was shown on TV of other areas, was good advise.

So all my work in getting the "Caterpillar Train" up to a point of temporary readiness will have to wait a few days till the next meeting to get a showing. Least will give me time to prepare the other 3 D9T's (5 in total) for also temporary mounting on flat cars.

Not particularly looking forward (now the sun's reappearing) to going from 25C(77F)+85%Humidity, to 33C(91.4F)+95-100% as all that ground water starts evaporating. Will need to grow gills or go live in the fridge.(or both)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not particularly looking forward (now the sun's reappearing) to going from 25C(77F)+85%Humidity, to 33C(91.4F)+95-100% as all that ground water starts evaporating. Will need to grow gills or go live in the fridge.(or both)
Sounds like the summer months here. As it is the weather will be fairly pleasant tonight. There's a small chance of rain.

Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers in the evening. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 50s (around 14c). Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
 


Sounds like the summer months here. As it is the weather will be fairly pleasant tonight. There's a small chance of rain.

Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers in the evening. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 50s (around 14c). Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Yeah, I think we're just about mirror imaged as far as lattitudes are concerned.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top