ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I remember in WWII, the allies installed water wings on their tanks. The theory was they could float onto shore during an invasion.
The idea didn't work out so good, much to the Allies (and the tank crews) chagrin.
Yep. They finally did come up with a design that worked as long as the waves weren't too high. It worked with some success in operation Overlord. It was called the duplex drive tank.
Some of that rain has made it to Jersey. Beats shoveling snow.
Ran a bunch of test trains using full sized passenger cars, behind my PA1, Biggest issue I had was with the couplers on some of the Walthers cars, which I replaced with Kadees. They stayed coupled and remained on the rail, which is what I wanted.
Given current limitations, the best I can expect to run is a five car train which is about right for the late '60s.
Good morning. It's 69° with 100 humidity and light to moderate rain. There's a fair chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. The high is projected to be 78°.
Another sleepless night. It's safe to say that I'm in a really lovely (read that as bad) mood this morning. God help anybody who comes around knocking trying to sell stuff door to door. They're not supposed to do it but some people don't check the laws for this area or just don't care. The word 'NO' doesn't seem to mean anything to some of them. Those individuals get introduced to Bertha. They understand her with no translation needed and are suddenly in a real hurry to make a hasty exit! But enough about that.
As I was saying before I got side tracked on sales people, I couldn't get to sleep last night so I sat up all night watching movies I've seen a bunch of times hoping that I'd get bored and fall asleep. No dice. I even watched '2012' and 'Unstoppable'. Those two watched one after the other should have been a surefire cure for insomnia. But it didn't work.
No plans for anything today. Guess I'll just take it as it comes. It's more rain today. According to the weather guesser it's more rain clean through to Thursday! That doesn't help my mood any. The lakes coming up and those folks living lakeside are starting to think they may be in for real trouble. I'm safe enough up here on my hilltop thirty some feet above the lake. At eight feet it'll be in one of my neighbors home. At ten feet it'll be in another one and at twelve feet my father will have water in his great room. Hopefully they get the flood gates opened enough and that won't happen. The folks downstream from the dam could have a problem though. Last I heard the 'Little Sandy' creek was up over ten feet and I can hear water roaring over the lakes spillway from here, half a mile away.
Got up to 73 here. It's gonna be another wet one tonight. A 90% of thunderstorms with heavy rainfall after midnight. Tomorrow is going to be cooler with a high of 55 and near 100% chance of rain.
I can hear the wind coming up as a storm is coming toward us through Texas. Radar shows it to be a mean looking thing. We have a 90% chance of rain tonight and another 90% tomorrow. Looks like the rain will continue all through the week. Will it never end?
Never got out of the 40s, although they that "know" forecasted temps in the 60s.
Real foggy though.
Spent the day finding combinations of Walthers passenger cars that will work together. Many mods - some success - what worked yesterday, didn't always work today.
HOW ' Bout Dem RAVENS, eh? . And only a week until Hockey Starts .
Hi to all from Cold Coarsegold,
Last nights low, at about 1:00Am was 26*F, I not sure what the high for today was but probably not over 40*F and it down to 30*F right now at 8:35Pm.
Did some work done building a #6 curved turnout done last night using the template I printed out but found out the template is actually under size and I may have cut my ties a bit to short trusting the template was correct. Wrong thing to do but I think I can correct it.
Also worked on one of my shays to get it running better but I think one of the simulated bevel drive gears [more appropriately Cog gear] is out of alignment so I have to fix that. I also found the ground wire broke loose from it's ground connection so I had to remove the boiler to get to that and wound up unsoldering the the complete wire and restripping both ends and soldering it back. I also lubed the Bull gear drive mechanism with White Teflon from Hob-e-Lube only to be reminded the tube has a tear near the back end so even though I have it folded over, it wasn't quite enough to prevent from some squirting out making a mess so I folded it over a bit more but also wasted even more grease! Shush, don't let the C&S West forman find out or I'll loose my job.
Good morning, America! Well, we had a high Saturday of 49° at about 1:00 AM and it slowly dropped all day from there. It's now 27° with freezing rain. The weather forecast says that it's supposed to change to snow with 1-2" before it's over. I hate winter!
Good morning. It's 46° with 100% humidity. Weather today is rain and isolated thunderstorms with periods of heavy rain thrown in for variety. The high will be 55°.
It's after 7:30 and still dark with this heavy cloud cover. Weather radar shows some very nasty stuff moving in our direction and really I wish it would go somewhere else.
No plans for today. I'll probably just watch some movies or some documentaries and listen to the rain hitting the roof. No layout work planned and right now I really don't care.
Hey, the outside temp here has been over 60* for two days now. Was 65* all last night. Going down now.....right now still 60* but falling. Going back to mild winter temps for next few days at least. All snow here has melted. Got ready to go out for a walk......but started raining again so now I'm cooking some bacon, eggs, and hash browns.
Didn't get anything done today except some movie watching. Had dinner with my father. Meatloaf, collard greens, black-eye peas, cornbread. Didn't even touch anything on the layout today. I just have no interest in it right now.
Weather tonight is 50% rain, up to 100% tomorrow.
Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.
Nope. That's me sitting on a vehicle I owned when I was a fire fighter. It was a '94 Buick Century. I bought it in 99 and scraped it in 2010. At one time it belonged to a police agency and still had the crash bumper and cage when I bought it.