Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Good morning. It's 53° with 53% humidity. It'll be cloudy and cooler today with a high of 55°.
condmc-1.jpg


We have a wind warning today with NW winds 20-25 mph with gusts to 40 mph. Anybody on the lake today has to be a nut! The white caps are rolling!

Nothing in particular planned for today. I may do some morfe work on the layout later. With the wind the way it is there's a possibility of the power going out and I don't want to be in the middle of a project step when it does. Just better to sit back and ride it out.

P4060070.jpg
yea jeffery that wind is starting to pick up here with that cool front coming our way :eek:
 
Thanks Barry, Mike and Joe for your kind comments on my video. I need to learn a lot about editing, I've no idea how I managed to get the individual vids joined together, must have clicked the right button somewhere. Have some more I took on Tuesday of the Caterpillar train. Most urgent need is a reasonably decent camera.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


It does look like the Walthers one, at least from the angle of the photo. I like the mortar effect on the brick. Good picture.

Joe
The mortar lines were easy. I put some gray acrylic paint on a folded paper towel and rubbed it in then used another paper towel to rub off what remained on the bricks.
 
Thanks Barry, Mike and Joe for your kind comments on my video. I need to learn a lot about editing, I've no idea how I managed to get the individual vids joined together, must have clicked the right button somewhere. Have some more I took on Tuesday of the Caterpillar train. Most urgent need is a reasonably decent camera.
yes i have to admit you did a nice job:D now get working on the challanger / big boy videos :p
 
yes i have to admit you did a nice job:D now get working on the challanger / big boy videos :p

Thanks mate, hopefully my skills will improve as I learn how to use the programs, there's quite a few on the net. Some of the ones you have to buy might be better. Have to ask Jeffrey what he uses.

Funnily enough there was a new guy (well I hadn't seen him before) at the club on tuesday. Had an Athearn Challenger and an FEF with the MRC decoders in them plus 5 UP heavweight cars, was having problems getting the decoders to work at home. I told him, from what has been said on here and elsewhere, he'd probably need new decoders. Sound in DC was working OK. So if I see him again I'll see what I can do re a vid.

Tuesday running days are always busy (2 normally each month alternating with 2 being work/maintenance days). This was a "bonus" tuesday 'cause there were 3 this month, so it was extra busy. Train length restrictions (10ft) are enforced at such times.
 
Good evening. It's windy and 72 here now, with a 100% chance of gunfire.:eek: My property backs up to a city park, and somebody got shot to death about 45 minutes ago there. I've been ordered to remain inside until the police finish their search for the shooter.
 
I was given permission to leave the house, it looks like they either found the shooter or have good reason to believe he is no longer in the area. I know they couldn't have searched the entire park in this short a time, especially with the weather we are experiencing. The park is several hundred acres of wilderness area, with heavy undergrowth and many spots somebody can hide.
I haven't heard anything on my scanner, but I can only pick up the county sheriff and fire departments on it. The local PD uses data transmissions instead of voice.
 


Looks like tomorrows weather will be better than today's was. Warm and sunny with much less wind. At times today it looked like the wind topped 40 mph. Glad I had nowhere to go. That big van of mine would've been pushed around quite a bit. Can you imagine driving against a 40 mph headwind? The gas mileage would suck! Tomorrow if it looks good I'll be making a trip to the bank to make a deposit. I would usually do something like that on the 1st but I'm going to be pretty busy on the 1st this time around. There's my mothers memorial service. Viewing 9-10am at the funeral home followed by the service at the Veteran's cemetery. Afraid I wouldn't be in much of a mood for business that day. Oh well, we all have our own lives to live. Guess I better get on with what there is of mine and stop wasting everyone's time with this.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010080.jpg
 
Good Morning

Windy, snowy and ccold this morning...going to a high of 24F this afternoon...sigh

Not much going on today..might see about getting a more 'modern' water tower built for Sim's Jtn...
 
Good morning. It's 31°F with 100% humidity. It'll be sunny with a high of 62°F.
cond026.gif


Much better weather today and no wind warnings. I'll be making a trip to the bank today after it warms up a bit. This weekend I'll be looking around on Ebay for some items. See if I can find some cheap locos and cars to strip for parts and find a couple of good items as well.

Other plans for this weekend: Since the family is all here we'll be having a family barbeque before they head back up north. Among those are my younger sister and her husband (#3), my other niece and her son. He's five years old and this is the first time I've seen him. A train nut if ever there was one! I showed him my run-by videos and a photo slideshow from one of my Photobucket accounts. That kept him out of trouble for the better part of an hour. He may get an opportunity to see the layout in person but he'll have to remember, hands off.

P1011496.jpg
 
Good morning. If I hadn't seen a body bag being loaded into the ambulance, I wouldn't know anything had happened. There was zip on the news, not in the paper, not on television.
Other than that, it's cloudy and 40, heading for a high of 42.
 
Meanwhile, In New Jersey.............The temperature has dropped back from yesterday's balmy mid 60s to a more reasonable 47° F range. The wind has changed direction, but is still gusting briskly:).

One more day, and January is in the books...........

Starting a Proto gondola kit today - this one will tale a bit longer than the Walthers white box and red box kits I worked on the last couple of days.

Have a good one!

Joe
 
Much better weather today and no wind warnings. I'll be making a trip to the bank today after it warms up a bit. This weekend I'll be looking around on Ebay for some items. See if I can find some cheap locos and cars to strip for parts and find a couple of good items as well.
Jeffrey, what's the story with the baggage car? Looks like it has seen a few storms in its time. Hope you have good luck in your search for e-bay train stuff.

It's 25* here and snowing. I just heard the horn blasting on the ohio central switcher engine......downtown about five blocks away.


Mike
 
Good morning folks.

Terry, holy crap!

It's -6 with gusts of 30mph right now. Our high is suppose to be just shy of zero today. They called off school because of the wind chills.

I'm patiently waiting for my passenger cars to get here. I'm actually quite excited to see them. Other than that I have no train news. I tend to model exactly opposite of most people in the frozen north. The winter makes it difficult to paint anything so it stalls me out. I've been turning to repainting and upgrading my locos and rolling stock which requires stripping, gluing and painting stuff. My actual layout is just about finished minus a million details I could add so I just sit down in front of the idiot tube and wait for spring!

I hope everyone has a good day.
 


Jeffrey, what's the story with the baggage car? Looks like it has seen a few storms in its time. Hope you have good luck in your search for e-bay train stuff.
The baggage car is modeled after an old KCS/L&A Southern Belle baggage car that was on an abandoned spur in Leesville since at least the mid 70's. After passenger service was terminated it was used in a MoW train for a while before being parked and forgotten. Most of the rust on it is the result of being burned in several grass fires over the fires. The air lines, diaphragms and other such equipment were burned away. The inside was relatively unscathed but the outside was a burned, smoking shell. It sat there rusting until late last year when it was cut up for scrap and taken away. The photos that me and a friend took of it are the only record I have of it. While I was thinking about it just now I downloaded the album onto a flash drive. Later I'll burn it onto a DVD.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top