Coffee Shop XXV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Home from another afternoon at the hobby shop. Gotta say today was my worst day so far grand total of $0 in sales for the 3 hours I was there. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. if any of you guys are looking for anything let me know.
 
USS Arizona

When you visit the USS Arizona Memorial, you board a small motor launch which takes you from the dock to the location the Arizona is moored. People from all walks of life come to visit, and pay their respects for the sailors at their final duty stations:
 
Enroute, you may notice a sheen of oil in the water, and the smell of bunker oil. This is fuel oil still onboard Arizona, where it has been leaking out of the ship for the past 70 years.
 


Once at the memorial, you are officially on board the ship. The silence is eerie, and the smell of the leaking bunker oil is very strong, almost overpowering. Here a blob of oil breaks the surface of the harbor:
 
Yea isn't there still sailors that where un acounted for that are still down in the USS Arizona. wow 69 years soon all the ww2 gen will be gone and so will the storys every time I meet a ww2 marine I always stop and listen to what they have to say. Becase I know nothing that I have done in iraq can compare to that gen.
 
The memorial itself is directly over the ship, some of which still protrudes out of the water:
 
In deference to the people in the group I was in, some of which had loved ones onboard, I didn't take any photos of the interior of the memorial. Here is a photo of USS Missouri, from which I will show you the exterior of the memorial:
 
When your group has finished visiting the Arizona Memorial, you reboard the launch and return to the dock. From there, a trip to Ford Island is in order. It is still an active military base, so only military personnel with ID, and some tour groups can visit. Here is a photo of the spot in which General MacArthur accepted Japan's surrender:
 
Lastly, here is a view of the Arizona Memorial, taken from the bridge of the USS Missouri. From this viewpoint, we are able to see the location of both the beginning and end of our involvement in WWII (the oil slick from Arizona is plainly visible in this photo):
 


A kid from my highschool was killed on the USS Oklahoma, he was 17, had been enlisted for a year, and died in what would have been his senior year. I think it was the 1942 yearbook that had a page with the names of teachers and students who had been drafted.

Julien- I plan on studying either something in Law Enforcement or Environmental Science. An ideal job for me would be something in the DEC or Dept of Environmental Conservation, like a Fish and Game Department.

Terry and HOtothemoss- There were something like 30 pairs of brothers on that ship at the time, and its the resting place for 1000 men I believe. Every year, veterans and survivors have their ashes scattered there. Truely an important place.

Rex and Karl- Thanks for the information, youve definetely given me things to think about, Thanks.

Ian- Thanks for the first hand account, ill have to look into it more.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If someone would like to read the true story from both sides, I would suggest that you get a copy of Gordon Prange's book, "At Dawn We Slept", as well as its companion, "Miracle at Midway".
I've read them both. They're floating around here someplace or else they're on one of the book shelves in my parent's library. Only a few thousand books there.
 
I am surprised that they leave oil leaking from the ship
It is because if they try to remove it, it could rupture the tanks, and cause all the bunker oil to flood the harbor at once. It would be a huge environmental disaster.
Of course, by leaving it there, the tanks could, and probably will, start to hemorrhage anyway. either way, it'll be a mess. The current "plan" is to let it happen on its own, the theory being the longer oil seeps out, the less will be in the tanks when they do let go.
 
12/08/2010

Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.
anim_coffee.png

anim_snoopy.png

1.png

Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png

:eek:
 
It is because if they try to remove it, it could rupture the tanks, and cause all the bunker oil to flood the harbor at once. It would be a huge environmental disaster.
Of course, by leaving it there, the tanks could, and probably will, start to hemorrhage anyway. either way, it'll be a mess. The current "plan" is to let it happen on its own, the theory being the longer oil seeps out, the less will be in the tanks when they do let go.

When it does rupture.....charge the clean bill up to the japan! Either way Oil is an Organic material constintly made in nature. Nature has a way of cleaning what it makes it's self up just fine....Jmo.
 


Anybody got a gallon of gas and a match?:confused:

Had to rescue the wife yesterday,,,,car died on the Baltimore Beltway...got her and the car home ($180.00 tow bill), battery dead..charged battery,,,started car,, hooked up my OTC charging system tester and guess what, ,the friggen new alternator is not charging !!!! :mad::mad::mad:
Guess what I get to take apart later today? :mad: We called Advance Auto Parts last night,,of course,,they wont have a new one til tomorrow, but they need the failed one returned at the time the replacement is picked up. :mad:

I can't wait :rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top