Coffee Shop XXV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang it's cold out there. I went to walmart and my truck is so cold it's acting funny. Doesn't want to shift and it drags when it is. the temp is 1. yes, 1. That is cold for us this time of year. That's usually a January or February cold for here. I want more snow! It's the only time I can have fun sliding my truck around. I want to play with my trains too, so bye for the night!:D
 
I believe my first BB gun came on Christmas sometime around 1953. It was a Daisy Red Rider. I later cut grass all summer and bought a Daisy pump from Aldens catalog.(does that store still exist? I believe it was in Chicago.)
My first gun (other than a cap pistol) was a Savage Arms 220L .410 shotgun, which I got when I was 10. I still have it. I then got a .22 and a 30-06 in that order (12 and 13). I didn't get any kind of BB gun until I was in my early 20's. It was a Daisy Powerline 880. I later sold it and got a Crosman 2200 Magnum .22 caliber pellet rifle. Since then I added a Daisy 20th anniversary edition Powerline 880 to the gun rack along with a couple of .38 revolvers, one of which is over a hundred years old (Great Western Arms .38 short colt). The newer one is a German made .38 Special that's nearly 45 years old. I also have a Crosman CO2 BB pistol around here somewhere. Made the mistake of firing it at an old tire one time. The BB came back to teach me the error of my ways:eek:. It hit in a very sensitive spot!:o
 
Did anybody here go to an ROTC school or go to college through the military?

Just something ive been thinking about for awhile. Ive always wanted to join the Military, and now that College is approaching, I think I can kill two birds with one stone. I spoke with a recruiter a couple of weeks ago, and its definetely something im interested in, but its his job to recruit people, and Id like to hear some first hand experience.

I know theres a couple Veterans in here, and if anyones willing to give me a run down of what I should expect if its something I wind up doing, Id really appreciate it.

I know if its something i decide to do ill probably see active duty, and im aware that its the hardest thing ill ever do, and i know the risks involved, but im just wondering if anyones done it before.

Hope im not hitting a nerve with the Military talk or breaking any rules, not sure if this falls under Politics.

Drew- Welcome Back.

Do you have any idea in what you want to study ?
 


Karl, all you had to do was remove the one bolt holding the right engine mount in place, and jack up the engine. You would have had plenty of room to R&R the alternator :rolleyes:. I've done this many times.:p

I thought about that, but #1, its a 4 cyl, not a 3 cyl Metro, the offending bolt wont come out without removing the AC compressor and the power steering resevoir, and #2, the jack was holding up the left side of the car. I had 5 jackstands before we moved. Could only find 1 yesterday!:eek:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, I didn't rub it in--Rubbing it in would be to tell him it would have only taken 20 minutes, and an 18mm socket, a 12mm socket, and a 14mm socket. Oh, and a 10mm socket for the electrical feed wire...

Actually, 10mm socket on the feed wire, battery post, and the alt heat shield (funny thing, the heat sheild is plastic!), 12 mm socket on all the alt bolts. 13 mm flat wrench on the bracket that hold the alternator to the head. Cant use a socket there, dipstick tube in the way. 18mm sockets on the front knuckle bolts and 32mm socket on the axle bolt.
The absolute worst part though was the fact that it's a little clown car. Even my 14 yar old sons hands are too big for working on it!

Next battle, replacing it. I want her to get something bigger, like an Impala. She wants a Cruze. (Oh but honey, its sooooo cute!)

I told her, she gets a Cruze, and I'm gonna trade the Ranger for a Silverado HD3500!!!:rolleyes:
 
Mikey: Oregon has a team that is fast as Lightning. Auburn has the power and size to stop them, but they best do it at the line of scrimmage.
Cam is undoubtedly the best football player in college ball that we have seen for a long time. I can't stand his showboat smiling and blowing kisses crap, but I believe he will get the Heisman. It may be taken away, but he will get it;).

Odd Todd: Thanks for the support. ROLL TIDE!

Duke: Yeah man, I think it will be an excellent matchup. Humph, you mean Bama better be thinking right. There is definitely a problem with either coaching or attitude.

Karl: Like Larry said, you heated up the garage plenty and I bet you could now melt snow just standing in it, from what Terry said.:D:D

Matt: It's been too many years to answer your Ed question accurately. I do know they still have some excellent assistance programs while you are in and then after you have served. The problem with trying to get any while you are in is being either shipped out or going on temporay duty. Many posts/bases have UofMaryland, Florida, and some other colleges on the site for night school. This is how I got my first year of college, but then shipped out to a place where there was nothing...Wake Island...did I say nothing!:D There are many programs available; you will just have to ask a recruiter.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Matt
I almost enlisted when I was your age, and now, I kick myself in the butt for it.
Let me tell you about a friend of mine. Did his 4 years, got trained on computers and got a degree. Went to the reserves and landed a governement job in a federal IT department. 25 years later, his stint with the reserves is almost up, (his reserve job also keeps him stateside, no combat) and he will probably retire from the government in 5-6 years.
Already he's amassed more trains than most hobby shops, and from the age of about 55 on he gets to play with them full time.
Something worth considering.
 
12/07/1941

LEST WE FORGET...

g19942.jpg



:(
 


Welb, we done doodeded it...Our record of December 6th 1977 of the most snowfall in a 24 hour period is now toast. We got a grand total of 80cm--or just under 34" of snow...in one day. This is on top of the 27" that we had on the ground Monday morning. Today? Another 8-12" is expected before it calms down on Wednesday....:eek::eek:

So--guess what I'll be doing? I'm heading out to do the plowing thing....again.:mad::eek: Maybe by Thursday I MIGHT be permitted into the trainroom without having to be spending the day plowing out the driveway...:mad::mad:
 
LEST WE FORGET...




:(
In about 6 hours from now, it will have been 69 years ago to the minute when the attack started. I have a flag that was flown over the Arizona Memorial December 7, 2001, that I gave my brother in a case to display with the flag we were given from my father's (WWII vet) funeral.
 
LEST WE FORGET...
:(
Amen to that. As FDR said, 'December 7th, 1941, a day which shall live in infamy'. I was happy to see the last Pearl Harbor movie (Ben Affleck) as it introduced a lot of young people to a tragic period in our country's history. I was quite frankly amazed at how many had NO idea what Pearl Harbor was all about. Don't they teach history in school anymore?
 
Amen to that. As FDR said, 'December 7th, 1941, a day which shall live in infamy'. I was happy to see the last Pearl Harbor movie (Ben Affleck) as it introduced a lot of young people to a tragic period in our country's history. I was quite frankly amazed at how many had NO idea what Pearl Harbor was all about. Don't they teach history in school anymore?

In a word, no. I think it's that "no child left behind" stuff that started back in the 1990's. Instruction keeps getting dumbed down for every class. I guess "if you don't learn from history, you're doomed to repeat it" was lost on the people that pushed that program.
I have some photos of the Arizona Memorial I'll post tonight, with a brief narrative.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
In a word, no. I think it's that "no child left behind" stuff that started back in the 1990's. Instruction keeps getting dumbed down for every class. I guess "if you don't learn from history, you're doomed to repeat it" was lost on the people that pushed that program.
I have some photos of the Arizona Memorial I'll post tonight, with a brief narrative.

My wife is a teacher and she has to deal with more and more staff cutting and supplies. The no child left behind law has doomed our children to being educated to fit a test and nothing else. More and more teachers are leaving to work for private enterprises. My wife is going to try to get on at one of the local prisons where she is in a safer place. The schools can't protect their teachers and it is happening more and more.:mad:
 
If someone would like to read the true story from both sides, I would suggest that you get a copy of Gordon Prange's book, "At Dawn We Slept", as well as its companion, "Miracle at Midway".

Prange spent over thirty years researching, and interviewing the principles on both sides of the Attack on Pearl Harbor. The movie "Tora, Tora, Tora" is based on his other book about Pearl Harbor. It has the same name as the movie.

Every year at this time, I pull those books down and read them. Still a fascinating subject.

IMHO the movie "Pearl Harbor", doesn't cover the attack well at all.
 
Rex I just hope it is a good game and not a blow out.
Best to all on sick call and those recovering
Duke
 
I have a mental picture of Karl running out to the garage, throwing open the hood of the car, and yelling "Crap!". Then banging his head on the hood of the car...:D
Chris, I didn't rub it in--Rubbing it in would be to tell him it would have only taken 20 minutes, and an 18mm socket, a 12mm socket, and a 14mm socket. Oh, and a 10mm socket for the electrical feed wire...

Now that's just mean!:mad: Your just heartless!;)
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top