Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon, everyone.

Somehow, we got through the night with nothing too serious. I never saw lightning, but some supercell thunderstorms did develop to the north. All I've heard of is damage from straight line winds, no tornados. The amount of moisture available and very high shear rates actually helped keep the more severe storms in check. We were lucky, this one had all the right ingredients for a bad tornado outbreak. Down here, December through February is when we get the worst tornados, as the warm air from the Gulf collides with the very cold air coming down from the north and the Plains.

Speaking of cold air, everywhere from Reno east to Chicago seems to be getting a white Christmas. The low in Reno was -4 and all that is headed for you, Sandy, so don't get the shorts out too early. :) It's still 70 here but the temperature will drop rapidly later this afternoon as the dry cold front comes though and we drop down into the 20's tonight. :eek:

Rex, hope things went OK for you. That new benchwork is pretty impressive. Is that along the side wall to the left of where you come in the door?

Chris, the gras is still mostly green up here and still growing too. My azaleas have even started blooming again. :confused: We've usually had a couple of freezes by now but we haven't have a night below 32 yet. If it gets as low as predicted tonight, the azaleas are in for a big surprise. :)

Corey, I remember well shoveling the walk and having it all blow back in my face as I tossed it off the shovel. Yuck! Be careful on the drive home. Looks like it's going to keep snowing and blowing through the night.

Sandy, a wind chill of -36? And you like living in Denver again for what reason? Time for a vacation to the sunny Southland.

Jeffrey, hope the foot is doing at least a little better. Negative pressure wound therapy is pretty cool. It first sucks all the crud out of the wound and then makes a vacuum sealed dressing over the wound, kind of like those vacuum sealers you see sold on TV all the time. It seems to be especially effective with diabetic wounds and healing is about 50% faster with a lot less infections. I hope it works for you.

Barry, I wonder why London is such a relative banana belt compared to the rest of the area? Must have something to do with your position on the lake.

Got the Christmas tree up and decorated while we were wait for the tornados last night. Looks real purty now. Now that everything is up, I have to take it all down again in three weeks. We should have Christmas last about two months to make it worth all this effort. :D
 
I seen no dumb plants Blooming out of season yet down here!........I for see us getting real cold soon down here.....May be for christmas! It'll be a LOL to see my kid rides his new mini bike in cold wind!Hehehehehehehe....
 


A wintry wonderland it is here in Central Indiana. I had a couple of deliveries after lunch that normally take about 90 minutes that took me almost 3 hours today. White out conditions on the interstate and a couple of county roads. Really scary only doing 35 on I69, afraid of running into something you can not see ahead of you or having someone run over you cause they can't see you. If fact for the most part the roads in town were worse than the county roads. At least I am now home and my grandson Colton just went home. He had to stay up last night to watch the outside Christmas go off at about 10:30. He was up this morning at 6AM, I more than likely woke him up taking my shower. He was wound up tighter than a banjo string when I got home this evening. I'll bet Valerie is going to have fun with him tonight.
 
HI All! We survived the storm just fine. There were high gusts of wind and buckets of rain, but other than some trees and power lines down in the area, everything is normal. From a low last night of 70 to a low tonight of ~30 :eek::rolleyes:.

Jim: the area of the work I'm doing is on the back wall, to the far left when you come in the door. It's where the coal mine is located and where the shop fan was stuck in the wall. If I can get this done, I will be able to come back out to the forward sections and work on the towns/industries. Doing all that wiring over the summer got me way behind.

Sandy: What brand of anti-freeze do you drink? :D
 
Evening All!

Jim...Although -36 is a bit much...I do love cold weather now and again. It's invigorating! :eek: And as beautiful as the South is, I just don't enjoy the humidity. And we have none here. :D My car didn't warm up on the 30 minute drive to Denver this AM. That's with letting it 'warm up' for 15 mins before I left the house.
It's the kind of weather that really does take your breath away when you first step out into it. Whew~


Rex...oddly enough, I am such an ice water person that it is what I had when I got to work. Had my cup o' kawfee and my cold water. Sip of kawfee...gulp of water. Of course, I was sitting in my super heated office by then. :p

Jeffrey...I liked the way Jim explained your treatment. Sounds like it should be pretty effective. Yea!

Larry...I have a nephew (and his family) in Kokomo. They were enjoying the snow today. Before my brother moved to San Antonio, he lived just outside Huntington and they got some beautiful snows. I happen to think Indiana is a beautiful place. Loved the gentle hills, pristine farms and the green!

Chris...Nothing blooming here right now...just lost of snow snakes! :eek:

Much warmer right now...it's 16 degrees. WooHoo!

Have a warm night, everyone!

Sandy
 
Hello--

Just wonderful out there---wind and cold---and that was it for here---although there is supposed to be some little tiny snowflurries for tonight and tomorrow---:D:D

The window in our kitchen is giving us a "Moanin' Minnie" concert tonight---all kindsa noise from that side of the house---hopefully no tree limbs come down---we're getting gusts up to 70kmh right now---

BTW---we still have some climbing roses still in bloom----mind they're by the side of the house--south side that is---:p:p
 
I inserted that line just for you Karl. I looked at Deere's and New Holland's before I bought the Kubota and the K had $2000 cheaper sticker than either of the others. It was a demonstrator tractor with 50 hours on it and I got another 2 g's off of it. To me it was a no brainier.
 
Well, with wind chill it's going to feel like well below zero by morning.

Time to get the motorcycle out for a ride!

Now, where's my shorts?
 


Not much going on here, cold front trying to roll through. temp's might drop to the 60's:eek: OMG I going to freeze!:rolleyes::D Here's some intresting news:

The Pythons are getting further north!
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/hillsborough/python_captured_tampa_120609

Now you know we have a problem when the animal rights people allow this to happen!
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/state/FLPython_Hunt_92307493

Free Bacon!
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/nature_coast/1201-feral-hogs-pasco
 
So far it hasnt happened,,,,but my Deere has been known to pull my neighbors Kubota when it wont go!!!!:D:p

It does?:eek::D:D:D:D

---------------------------------------

We got the windchill now at -12C---with the current temperature at -5C and going to -8C this afternoon and with the winds going at a steady 40kmh with gusts to 70kmh----it'll be kinda cool around here. The low tonight -11C with those dang winds be blowin':(

Well---I got some runnin' 'roun' to do---have a good one--:D:D:D
 
Good morning folks

It was 40 F as I headed out onto the dry roadways this morning. We have already seen our high for the day as the temperatures will be dropping all day and ending up around 18 F tonight. At least there is no more rain. We are, however, experiencing a lot of high winds. I expect as the day goes by there will be trees down everywhere.

Yesterday morning was a wet nightmare. The overnight rain and some of the rain during the morning commute was unbelievable. Driving was adventure. Some of the roadway gutters were like white water rivers. The creeks that I passed on the way to work were overflowing and flooding was everywhere. I have not seen things like that since Hurricane Floyd hit our area back in 1999.

We our continuing the decorating. The tree is almost done as is the outside. My son and I continue cleaning the layout. We did get some water in the basement for the first time in about five or six years. Some boxes under the layout got wet but there seemed to be no other damage.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
And where were you hiding all this time?:D:D:D

Nice to hear from you on occasion!!;):):)

Yeah, I've been sorta busy lately. The wife and son are healed up pretty well from their surgeries. My son is doing better. The wife is a little slower going, but you know what they say about youth and healing. Also, we've had a lady living with us for about a month or so. She was a battered wife and so she left him. He want's nothing to do with her and has filed for divorce (nearly finalized already!.....he wanted OUT!), so reconciliation doesn't look likely. So, my wife and I have been working with her and several organizations to get her a fresh start in life. She's got a new job, is going back to college (Uncle Sam is footing the bill! Finally, our tax dollars at work for a good purpose!), has a new trailer to live in, and my wife and I have donated all new (well, some gently used, some new) furniture and appliances to get her started. It's been a busy month!
 
Good morning. It's 31 and partly cloudy. The high will be around the mid 40's and it will continue to be partly cloudy.

Yesterday I placed the new RBOX in a consist on the inner loop of my layout. There's nothing on the schedule for today except getting rest and keeping my feet up. I may be on again later. The news on the wound vac is that it should be here in a few days. Turns out that I had no choice on it at all. The doc ordered it so therefore it gets used. We'll see how it goes.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/PC100264.jpg
 
Today I received a box about 13" wide and 12" high. It contained an assortment of buildings that were available on the market back in the mid 60's and early 70's. There was also a 40' bulkhead flat with a lumber load and a gift wrapped item. That gift wrapped item is down at my parent's place so I can't get my mitts on it until Christmas. I love the old houses. Some of them have interior walls. It's gonna be fun finding places for them on the layout.
 


The Christmas tree is up with all of the blue LED's on it and it does look pretty good. I put two less strands of LED's on it this year and that is an improvement. Last year it was BRIGHT and overpowering so a tone down is a good thing. Colton my grandson will be here tomorrow so he can help granma put the ornaments on. Glad it is she and not me because he can get to be a pain in the arse if he does not get his own way but he likes
Gramp's train so he is a good boy.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top