Coffee Shop Part VIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Mornin' Bill!

Just a quick run through the buffet and I'm off to record the All-County Festival. These things are always fun as I get to see a lot of old friends from back when I was teaching (although there are fewer and fewer that I know these days).

Have a great day!
 
Good Morning Bill & Ray ! Another typical winter day here cold with snow. Steve sounds like you had a bit of excitment your way . Ray good luck at all county . Use to go to those when my three children where in school .Lots of fun.Rex hope you mother is ok . I went thruogh that with my family . It is though for old people to loose thier independence . You guys should live up here near the border. Homeland Security is enforcing the laws to the T next week . We use to have a free border with Canada. Now we need a passport to get across. It will hurt relations and trade with our friendly neighbor . And if a terrorist wants wo get across do you thing he is gonna risk going through a border checkpoint? Don't think so. Just another way for our government to keep tabs on us citizens. Well gotta go and have some breakfast . hope you all have a terrific day !! Oh yeah we also have cameras along our shore keeping tabs of our waterways with Canada ,
 
Still not a clue what was going on last night, they went as fast as they came ???

Been out watching steam trains, only saw seven different ones today.
Had a hell of a scare on one train, the little girl leaned on a door and it opened, AGHHHHH, grabbed her coat and dragged her back quick, the door had not locked secure on the catch but it looked closed, the train crew were fast reacting, they saw it opening and did an emergency stop, nice work on there part.
 


Yes,,, bit of a brown trouser job, there was nothing wrong with the door catch it was just not slammed shut, i guess someone just pushed it closed and thought it was shut, no harm done,
 
Good morning.

It's 38 degrees here and wet (not surprising, this is Louisiana after all). We're expecting a high 0f 50 this afternoon under partly cloudy skies.
Been working on the layout for the past week. That's been almost like work! One of my neighbors says I've been busier than a pair of jumper cables at a hillbillie funeral.!

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/26/2008


Wind Chill: 33°F
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 37°F

So Far Today
High: 45°F
Low: 37°F
Rain: 0.05"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 9mph NNE

Today High: 55 Decreasing clouds. Not as cool. Highs in the mid 50s. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 35 Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 30s. Light and variable winds.
 
Steve sure glad that the daughter didn't get hurt . Nice reaction on the crew's part . Jeffrey I've never been to a Hillbilly Funeral but I've been to plenty of Polish Ones !!!
 
Wanna hear what got me cranked up last night?

My boy plays on a local basketball team. He mostly warms the bench but occasionally he gets some game time. Not last night though! Last night he was a starter on the "A" team! He played most of the game and it was a close one. In overtime he managed to draw a foul from the other team which got his team the ball back and they went on to score the winning goal! As some of you know, my son has muscular dystrophy. It's not too bad now, but it will get worse. For him to be able to be such a part of his team last night was, I'm sure, a moment he'll not soon forget! He felt bigger then the biggest kid on that court last night, who by the way, was the kid he was gaurding! Here's my boy with the ball (Not the best pic, but it works for me!). The big bald kid was the one he was guarding.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/MyBoy1-25-08.jpg
 
Philip, you sound very proud, as you should, be sure to tell your boy congrats. That is an absolutely fantastic story.
 


Afternoon, everyone

Phillip, that's fantastic! For at least last night, he was the biggest, baddest kid on the court. He's go more guts than I do just for guarding a guy that big. :)

Ken, the total is for both the city and county of Los Angeles. Last time I read, Southern California, including San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, Ventura, and Los Angeles counties, were approaching 100 helicopters for law enforcement and fire fighting. That doesn't even count the 150 or so aircraft that the California Department of Forestry has based in the area. :eek:

Rex, I hope your mom is doing OK. Tuscaloosa County really has done a good job of upgrading their Sheriff's Department, something I wish I could say for Autauga. We are still in the dark ages here.

Steve, I'm glad you and the train crew reacted fast. Must have been a scary few moments there. :(

Paul, I think the government is trying to show it's "even-handed" about enforcing the border laws on the south and the north. We all know the greatest problems come from the south but we have to irritate our citizens and neighbors to the north just so no one can say we are being unfair to Mexico. The whole thing makes no sense, of course. I'll bet there are 10,000 places you could just walk through the woods and across the border in New York and no one would ever know. It was the same thing when we were allowed to carry our weapon on intrastate flights as long as we went through the same training as the sky marshal's and used the same ammunition. If I was flying from San Francisco to Los Angeles, I could carry my weapon but not if I was flying to Reno, because the feds never made a rule allowing it. The estimate I read is that there about 350 sky marshals flying daily and about 3,000 off-duty peace officers from other jurisdictions. As long as we had the right training, wouldn't it make sense to have all those guys available to react to an emergency? Not to the Feds. Same thing with the rule that the sky marshal's always had to wear suits. On a flight to Acapulco, how hard do you think it was to pick out the sky marshals? :(

Still overcast and cool down here but it's supposed to get up into the 50's tomorrow, which will be the first time we've seen that since the new year.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Philip, COOOOOOOL!!!!!! :D :D :D

Steve glad you have quick reflexes. Sure hope they take some action to make sure that won't happen again to someone who might not be as lucky....

Just got home from recording the Concert. Long day for an old retired teacher, I got there at 9:30 this morning and pulled out of the parking lot about 20 to 6 this evening. However......... Every year for the last several years the County Organization has commissioned a new piece of music for one of the groups. This year the commissioned piece was for Orchestra and the composer was the director of the of the Jr. High Orchestra. He is also one of my favorite students from many years ago when he was a little middle schooler here in Geneva. Gives a guy a great feeling to watch one of your own students who choose what you taught (Music) as a career in front of the Orchestra. :D I had found out he was the composer for this year and was looking forward to seeing him after all these years. He graduated from High School 19 years ago. Man I feel old......
 
Last edited by a moderator:
we went to look at an "investment" property today, a 30,000 SF warehouse.....wow the model railroading possibilities!!!!!!!! to bad that wont pay the bills!!!! If we do buy it I would be apt to "cut rate rent" a few feet to start a model railroad club for the central PA area. , unfortianatly, we need 15K SF for the scrap bussiness and must lease the rest as a building that size does not maintain it self, nor pay its own taxes....... please wish me / us luck and prayers on the offer were submitting!

I strongly believe in "giving back" and think a model RR club could do wonders around the Carlisle / Harrisburg area.

Ryan
 
Thanks all, my mom is very sore but doing fine: no broken bones...she's a tough old gal. Now our big challenge is to get her to go for 20 days rehab. It wouldn't be bad at all, since it would be where Carolyn is a nurse. Unfortunately, I am her only survivor and will have to make some hard decisions if she is not willing to make some changes. Crap I hate this.:(
 
01-27-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png


:eek:

Buffet.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png
 
morning gents,
They did seem to be paying very special attention to doors later on, my friend from school died in exactly the same way 20 years ago, same doors as well. these coaches are BR Mk1's and they all have slam door locks and they total thousands in the UK, the later Mk2's and 3's all have central locking and can't be opened when locked by the guard, they train can also not proceed unless all doors are closed, some sort of electrical circuit is broken.

got a stiff neck today from hanging out the window inhaling steam

Ray makes me feel old when i see my old teacher, she's 85 now.
Ryan hope your luck is in with the purchase
Rex Thats a tough job, my mom won't take any advice from me, she'll listen then do her own thing, caught her moving all her bedroom furniture and re decorating after a shoulder operation, (shakes head in disbelief)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
G'morning!

Steve, that's scary, I'm suprised they haven't done a total recall of all those cars to fix that door defect.

Ryan, I feel your pain. It's very hard for me to walk into a huge open area without imagining what kind of mrr empire I could fill it with. I have a neighbor with a 100ft by 40ft basement that's been finished, and has barely any furniture in it - absolute torture for me to walk thru!

Rex - I don't envy you a bit! I believe that's typical with all parents and their adult children. My late F-I-L had some really bad habits healthwise, and he was continuously being warned by his two medical professional daughters (one a nurse, the other a doc). Until 8 years ago, he always ignored them. What turned him around was a nasty case of colon cancer in 1999, which very nearly killed him. So his recent years were actually sort of a reprieve.

Philip, you must be one proud Dad!

Ray, I guess that's one of the intangible benefits of being a teacher - seeing that you had a positive impact on somebody's life! My eldest daughter is majoring in education, and who knows? Maybe she'll have stories like this to tell in another 30 years.

I've been doing mmr-related stuff, but none of it is worth photographing. One thing I did yesterday was install an outside barrier on the track that leads to my staging yard. I was always holding my breath, and slowing my engines to a creep when they went over that 'viaduct'. What I did was only temporary and a bit of an eyesore, but at least I no longer have to worry about one of my $200 locos taking a 400 scale-foot swan dive if they happen to derail at that spot.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning !Bill ,Steve ,Ken L! Hum anther winter day here . have to go out and shovel some Lake Effect snow off the driveway ! Don't mind it but with my arthritist sure hurts like heck after. Phillip congratulations to the proud father . You son must be a cloud nine .And I can see you beaming from up here. Ray congrats to you also . It must feels good to teach someone and watch them become a leader . Ryan good luck with the purchase hope all turns out well . Ken L glad that you can take a breath again. Gonna get going an see if I can make some headway with the driveway . Hope all of you can have a wonderful day !!
 
Morning all! And a beautiful morning it is!

The wife is quickly ditching the wheelchair in favor of the much more manuverable crutches. Last night I took her to church and out to eat and the wheelchair never left the back of the van! The doc told her Friday that she can start driving again in 10 days (consider that fair warning you all!). She's excited!

Well, my sons legs were stiff as a board and real sore after friday nights game, but he's getting back to normal now. He's still on a high from it though. I know he wouldn't trade the other night for anything!

Oh well, I'm off to go teach my Bible study class. Later!
 


Mornin' everyone!

Philip that is great to hear that your wife is doing so well. I bet your son is wearing his soreness as a badge of honor. Don't you just love seeing your kids doing something well and enjoying it!

Ken L anything you can do to keep a prized loco from falling off the edge of the world into the abyss is good! Yes seeing students years later is one of the best benefits of having been a teacher. I would say it is very tangible though. When I was studying voice at Eastman from John Malloy who was a Tenor at La Scala in Italy for several years, we once had a long chat about the difference of performing yourself and seeing your students perform well. I now agree with him that the second is a major step above the first. I'm sure that I played a fairly small role in the conductor's decision to pursue music as a career and even less in his total training. What was a fantastic feeling was finding out from another teacher that he got very excited when he found out I would be there recording his "Work". Life is Good!

Steve what really makes me feel old is that some of my students have already retired from their careers......... Like Todd and Brett Bodine. Yep the NASCAR drivers. They were among the first kids I taught when I started teaching. Man that WAS a long time ago in Waverly Schools (and the Elementary School in Chemung, NY). They thought I was "cool" because I had a souped up 1971 VW Superbeatle that could do wheelies in the school parking lot...... (Those were the days!).
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top