ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Congrats William. When I turned 40 that was the 17th anniversary of my 23rd birthday, the last time I celebrated my birthday. I threw my self a big party, keg of beer, a food spread that cost me about $100(in the early 70's that was a little bit of moolah), invited 50 or so FRIENDS and only one showed up along with my Uncle and Dad. That was the last time I celebrated much of anything.
I live in Stillwater just straight north of OKC right off I-35. I've been through your neck of the woods before Paul, my brother use to live in Flowermound and I've made a few trips there down towards Ft. Worth and Dallas.
Sorry didn't realize how little I've been in here as of late but looking at my Bill I'd say Ray has made up for both of us!
Ray: A belated "Well Done and Kudos" on your award from the NMRA! I'll let the Bill thingy slip this time!!
Happy Birthday William but I hate to brake it to ya once you hit 40 you'll need a pair of Bifocals, trust me on this one!
Not much else on the go as I'm heading home today with 2 Steamers and 1 Diseasel ready for the rails, though there will be some soldering and tweeking left to do to hook up the harnesses to the Locos. I have 4 Bachmann Steam Engine harnesses in the mail which should get to me sooner than later... I hope.
Anyway I'll be BBQ'ing tonight as the weather is suppose to be excellent. Hard to believe as we were steaming through snow flurries yesterday,
Paul B: had all 4 Main Engines online yesterday! Hard to believe a 45 year old ALCO can purr like that.
Happy Birthday William!!! The Big 40 huh. Don't listen to Fergie. I didn't get reading glasses 'till I turned 45 and that was only because they started making the print on everything so danged small.... May the next 40 be the best!
Hey Fergie, bet you are glad to be on your way home. Enjoy that BBQ tonight. BTW I was nice and paid your bill to welcome you back. I didn't mow your lawn though. Been too busy with mine here it is only May and I've had to mow the derned thing twice already...... Thanks for the congrats!
Bunny would say. Fergie's right ya know! At 40 all kinds of stuff starts happening to ya!
Fergie, glad you're getting some shore time in! I know you're looking forward to it!
Chip, I do remember about the extract from Kudzu for the treatment of alcoholism, but here in the South it has really turned into a PITA. It was brought in by the Feds after WWI, I believe, to help fight the severe erosion of the soils here. Trouble is, since it is an import, there is no natural "enemy" to help keep it check. It acts as a parasite that attaches to any and all plants and sucks the life out of them. It can weaken and kill a tree in as little as a year. My neighbor below me on the hill, had to just cut down 6 huges trees, all 35-45ft in height that it killed during the past 3-4 years. He's afraid he's lost some more but can't get to them until the winter. Too much Kudzu in the way. It grows so fast that most herbicides are useless on it. It outgrows the stuff.
The only good way to control it is a herd of goats or sheep. Trouble is I live in a "metropolitan area" and any livestock is banned.
Good Morning All !!! Big Happy Birthday Bill , I hope many many more. fergie you old slaty enjoy your BBQ , thats just what I'm planning to do tonight, temps in the 70 and sunny all day . Hope Everyone can enjoy this fine spring day !!!
Hi Carey, talk about parasites everytime a ship enters the Great Lakes it empties it's ballast and all kind of parasites are introduced into our waters . the native fish cannot fight these foreign invaders and they die off. We have a giant fiish death going on right now in Lake Erie and they don't know what is causing all these fish to die. Isolationism maybe some of our forefathers were right !
Good Morning All !!! Big Happy Birthday Bill , I hope many many more. fergie you old slaty enjoy your BBQ , thats just what I'm planning to do tonight, temps in the 70 and sunny all day . Hope Everyone can enjoy this fine spring day !!!
Ya know yall yankees dun know howta BBQ! Yall wanna eat yall's meat fo' supper, yall gotta git out der 'afore dawn, rub dat meat down wit' a dry rub of salt, peppa, papirika, onions, and yo "secret ingredient"! I culd tell yo' what it be, but then I gotta kill ya! Then amakin' sho that the far ain't too hot, yall gotta smok' that meat on hick'ry for at least 14-15 ours afore its dun. Then yall needa add some tater salad, beans and molasses, bisgets, and swee' tea! Now all yall can eat!
Aye, but as me grandmama used to say, "Don't ya go eating too much o' thaht or ye'll git the "Oh My' which could lead to the "Final Come an git ye don't ye know" An put that "thing-a-ma-bob" right over there next to the "what-ya-ma-call-it while yer at it". (She was born some where in New England I believe where they spoke real English......Ayah.)
Not much Steve, just learning how to install a decoder in a bluebox Athearn loco ("isolate the motor from the frame," yada, yada,...) The latest MR has an excellent step-by-step article on how to do that. If I can succeed at this one, I'll feel confident enough to tackle any install!
Of course I'm stuck at the office for another hour yet...