ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Well now, I just managed to pick up TWO Walthers 65' LPG tank cars, which I was originally going to use with the weed sprayer train, but I'm afraid they're not quite right... AND at the same time I got TWO Walthers B32-8W Amtrak units!
Oh, I watched The Prestige today, anyone seen it yet? GREAT GREAT movie!
My comments on the gas situation, and no not the burritos. I enjoy a spirited drive as much as the next guy, I totally enjoyed the two weeks I had a M3 to drive. Currently, though I can't afford a M3 (the movie biz doesn't pay that well on this end) and I drive a Civic that is old enough to vote and has 233,000 + miles on it of which 188,000 I drove. I haven't done any work to the engine and it still has the original clutch. My mileage for the last fillup was 37mpg. There was an article in the paper the other day about Toyota Prius hybrid drivers only getting 33mpg in town. Something is not adding up. You would think in nearly 20yrs they could make a car that gets even better mileage than mine. I used to drive 125 miles one way to work. I would stay the week there so only 300 miles a week or so. The road was very slow. If you look at a map of the state of Idaho and see the road that goes out to the middle and stops you will know where I was. Anyway, I would get about 45-47mpg on the round trip. My alltime best mileage was 58mpg driving from Missoula, MT to Lewiston, ID. It helped that it was downhill for 176 miles. Alltime worst was probably in the mid 20s, in the winter, in the snow, with studded snow tires all the way around. So enough about how great I am.
I think the biggest problem is drivers compensating for other shortcomings with an overpowered car and the auto makers catering to that insecurity. Think about it, a 14,000 ton coal train moves over the road with around 0.9 horsepower per ton (hpt). Why do we 'need' cars with over 200hpt? My 60hpt car sits in traffic with the best of them! That coal train would need around 2.8 million horse power to equal recent automotive offerings in the horsepower to ton area. Pickups now have much more horsepower than semi trucks of the 1970s. So basically most cars and trucks are overpowered and wasteful and people drive them like their kids are home alone and the house is on fire.
Chip Sleeping in like that could cause the headache or another cause could be Carbon dioxide/monoxide poisoning I can never remember which it is. At least it might be worth checking out. The sleeping in is what caught my eye as everyone slept in.
Close the store, go home, open enough windows to get a breeze thru the house! Call a service tech and have your furnace checked immediately! Those sure sound like signs of carbon monoxide poisoning!
I had fun yesterday. Started upgrading my computer from 98se to XP. After backing up all the files that I couldn't bear to loose, I started the upgrade. After taking 2 hrs, the machine rebooted and then after registering with MS, the machine refused to run. I wound up having to do a clean install on my Cee drive but then realized I had not backed up my bookmarks or addressbooks. Those are gonna take a while to rebuild.
I don't think CO is the culprit, although I have a unit and I will test for it. I think it is more that my daughter is the key to our family's day. With the time change she wasn't sleepy at bed time and stayed up later than she should have. Then she slept through or didn't set her alarm. My wife gets up to get my son ready when my daughter leaves in the morning. I get up when my son leaves. I got up to go--well I got up and noticed the time. I told my wife who scrambled the troops. She was supposed to wake me when she left and forgot.
More of a comedy of errors--more weird than CO poisoning, but more likely I think.
Thats good to hear, but do check the unit. During the season changes of summer to fall and winter to spring, more people fall victim to CO than during the winter.
Mornin'.... No Afternoon.... Holy Ten-Wheeler Bat Man, its already after 9PM here. Been a long day of mixing tracks for a group doing a CD with me, rehearsals, and meetings. Just got home from the last one.
Chip, I also advise you to make sure your CO (yep that's the one that kills quickly - CO2 is the stuff, in deference to what some of you choose to believe, that contributes to Global Warming - yep, I tend to believe the Scientists rather than the PR people for Mobil Exxon) is working correctly. My CO alarm went off last fall when I started using the wood stove and the through the wall heater. My house is very sealed and CO was gradually building up in the house. For me the solution was to keep a window next to the wood stove open a tiny crack all winter to allow some fresh air in the house. BTW, I had a headache and felt just very tired for a week before the alarm went off. CO can build up in the blood stream and is very hard for the body to dispose of over an extended period of time.
BTW, Steve, you are right about the politicians! Their primary job is to keep themselves in office as long as possible. In order to do that, they tend to tell people what they want to hear. When it comes to the environment, they sit on both sides of the issue as a total group. BTW, I am a strong environmetalist and belong to several groups such as the Sierra Club, Greenpeace, and others. As a Christian, I take seriously God's command that we be good "stewards" of this Earth. Too many people have interpreted that as the right to Rape and Pillage the Earth for their own profit.
Hi All ! Abit late but better late then never I guess, Just a little note on Haliburton taking their corportae headquaters to Dubai, How many billions of dollars have they soaked out of the American Taxpayers and now they want to shelther that money over by the Arabs . Their justification is that they want to be closer to the oil. yeah they want to skip out before their investicated more. I can just see the Vice president running out when he gets his inditement. Well I guess thats enough venting, should have bought stock in the company before the war strated I guess !
Today's Weather for: Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/13/2007
Wind Chill:61°F Humidity:97% Dew Point:60°F
So Far Today High:63°F Low:61°F Rain:0.00" Rain Rate:0.00"/h Gust:0mph NNE
TodayHigh:75Cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstormsin the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s. Light and variable winds becoming south around 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
TonightLow:62Cloudy withshowers and thunderstormslikely. Lows in the lower 60s. South winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Morning Bill and Jeffrey, it's a nice foggy morning here in Oklahoma. Well making some headway, my buddy and I are hoping to have the benchwork started on by this weekend.
It is gray 42°F here in the Finger Lakes this morning. Forecast to reach 56°F sometime today. Forecast for tomorrow is 59°F. (OK, where did I put my light jacket? 'fore long I'll be puttin' that durned air conditioner in the window to run up my electric bill..........)
Today will be another day of work on the CD and then practice for the musical. I have reached that time in life where the things I want to do interfere with the the things I want to do. Have a good one!