Coffee shop part 9

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Yawn! Yep it has been a long day. Not only the change to DST, but had to get to church early to help a High School group rehearse a skit for the service. This afternoon I ran a repair program on my Mac. It did repair several small items. I rebooted the computer, it came up, and as soon as the desktop appeared it ran a kernal panic and quit. Did that several times so I managed to get the repair CD back in and started up again with that. DiskWarrior ran again and said that everything was A-OK. Start up again.... Kernal panic again. I was pulling my hair to say the least and decided to unplug all the peripherals and try. Booted up and ran no problems. Photoshop opened and ran..... So, I started plugging things back in. Finally found what was crashing it. My Epson scanner.... I finally downloaded and installed a new driver for the scanner and uninstalled the old driver. She is working very stable now and I completed the scan that started the whole thing last night. Something must have become corrupted in the old driver. Whew!

Also found out today that I will be doing a presentation in early April at our division train meet. I volunteered to do one on soldering but someone else (thankfully) had already volunteered to do a clinic on soldering (and what he is going to show is way out of my league). So I volunteered to do one on the NMRA Golden Spike Award. I have been working on the documentation for the Model Railroad Engineer - Electrical AP Certificate. All the "easy" work (the stuff on the layout) has been done so now I have to complete the "hard" stuff. (That is what the scan was for.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Night Time

A quick stop to say howdy and goodnight ! Been a long day . Sun finally broke out after another night of snow. Spent the morning blowing the driveway out . Couple more pictures to cheer you fellows up who may miss the snow , . Have a nice night all . And boy did I enjoy that extra hour of daylight !!!! ;) :rolleyes:
 


03-10-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
Buffet.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

Menu3.png
waitress1.png
 
Good morning.

It's 51 degrees here under cloudy skies, expecting a high of 63 this afternoon under partly cloudy skies.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/10/2008


Wind Chill: 52°F
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 46°F

So Far Today
High: 52°F
Low: 51°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph NNE

Today High: 68 Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of rain showers in the morning...then chance of rain showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 60s. Northeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.

Tonight Low: 48 Cloudy. Rain showers likely and scattered thunderstorms in the evening...then chance of rain showers after midnight. Lows in the upper 40s. Northeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/forum-1/P1010001-51.jpg
 
Morning Jeffrey, and a big hello to everyone.

It's currently about 18F and should get into the low 30s today.
Should be a great day though.

Weather guy states that we should be in the high 40s by Wednesday and then back into the low 30s by next weekend. Spring will get here eventually. :rolleyes:
 
Good Morning Bill , Jeffrey & Carl , A beautiful day here on the Niagara Frontier, No snow to shovel . I guess it's suppose to warm up later in the week and melt all this stuff again . That's Nature's way . Give a little and take it back !! Well gotta get to the post office so I hope you all have a nice day !!!!
 
Good morning folks

It was cold this morning as I headed out with a temperature of 27 F on its way to 48 F. We are supposed to be in the sixties by the weekend.

Yesterday my wife had to take several detours on her way to and from work because of roads that were closed due to Saturday’s storms. She said in several places the traffic lights were not working which made for interesting travel through those intersections.

Baseball and Softball are beginning. We got the first phone calls last night and the practices start this week.

I did not get any model building done this weekend. I did get some things put away and tidied up the layout some. I also ran a train for a while. I entered a few items into an inventory program. So the weekend wasn’t a total lose.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Man! I'm draggin' butt this morning! I couldn't get to sleep last night. I think I only got about two hours of sleep all night. Good thing I just have a 9 hour workday and then nightschool until 10pm that is an hours drive from home tonight, huh? I am gonna be one whipped pup when I get done with this day!

So how are you all?

Oh, I did get some layout time this weekend. I tried some new lighting out. I added some of those energy efficient fluorescent bulbs to my track lights. They run a bunch cooler, but I don't care for the light quality much, and I can't dim them (I knew that going into it). Think I'll switch back to the energy eaters. They give off a nice quality of light. I also got some more work done on my backdrop. Looks like I'll be painting it soon (let's hope). Then I can really get moving on scenery (finally!).

Oh well, time to make like I work here!

Later!
 
Mornin' everyone!

Chilly but sunny outside right now in the Finger Lakes. Currently 20°F but going up to 32° later on today. "We're havin' a heat wave.... Tropical heat wave...." May have a couple of snow showers to make things interesting as well.

My "To do" list awaits me, so I best get busy.

See you all later.

Edit: I am pleased to announce that Spring just arrived in the Finger lakes. I was finishing my coffee, looked outside and saw the first Robin of the year. He was watching a flock of starlings eating remaining fruit on my quince tree, as is a lone Morning Dove. All of them knocking the ice off the tree......... Happy Spring!
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Good morning coffee clubbers

Well, I finally got a chance to interact with some modelers in my state (MD). I drove to Cambridge on Saturday for an op session on the N-scale layout of Lee W. ('wm3798' on the MR forum). Even though I'm into HO, I had more fun at Lee's place than I can remember having in many years. Probably because the atmosphere was more laidback, as in "let's just relax and run some trains and deal with whatever glitches occur and keep going." Not the high-strung, hyper-organized, correct-to-the-letter re-enactment of prototype operations that most modelers in my immediate neighborhood expect of each other. I felt like I could invite any of this group to visit my own layout. And maybe I will, even though they're all into 'N' (theres no law that says we need to interchange rolling stock, LOL).

Paul - looks like you're getting a lot of use from that snowblower!

Tom - sorry to hear about the near mishap. And the really scary thing [about cell phones] is, even the hands-free technology doesn't help much: A study by the DOT(?) showed that it's the distraction of conversation that leads to accidents, NOT impaired hand control. People seem to totally 'forget' that they're driving...!

Corey, I've felt compelled to make a few 'unauthorized' purchases myself within that past few months. Sometimes you just 'gotta do what ya gotta do.' The January Walthers Sale Flyer indicated that a certain type of freight car that I've really been wanting was on sale @ 30% off (I avoid shipping by ordering thru my LHS). I also was aware that prices on mrr stuff would be shooting up in the near future. So I figured this might be my last opportunity to get them at a semi-affordable price.

Ray, I've been thru my share of experiences like that. Most recently the culprit has been over-use of my machine's USB ports. Even though there are 8 of them, the controller starts getting 'confused' when devices are plugged into more than 6 at any one time (easy to do when your kids have iPods and digicams). I've had times when I thought I'd lost my entire 'H:' drive (where all of my personal stuff is stored).
 
evening all, nice and wet here, got a little storm force ten blowing last night, nothing got damaged for a change, i recon the last two storms destroyed everything possible,
 
Afternoon, all.

Busy weekend running around doing all kinds of things, nothing of which had to do with model railroading. My daughter decided she wanted to go the the rodeo Saturday so I wasted four hours there. We had to work security for rodeos and I'm not a big fan of them. I don't like how the animals get treated and it's really boring. Except for the shepherding dogs they had at this one that had monkeys riding on their back. No kidding, little saddles and all. I thought it was incredibly hokey but the wife and daughter thought they were the cutest things they ever saw. :)

I was talking to my BIL in Cincinnati today and he was telling me about all the fun they had with the 15 inches on snow over the weekend. I feel for all you guys that had to go through that. I don't think I could take it at my age.

Ken, sounds like a nice operations sessions. I like the ones where you just run the trains and don't try to duplicate the entire Southern Pacific dispatch system. I've been to a few of those and felt more stressed when it was over than if I never went.

Steve, I don't know if I'm supposed to be happy that this storm was bad but everything else has already been wrecked by previous storms or what. Sounds like you need spring to arrive pretty darned soon.

Ray, I always looked forward to those first robins. They have been here for about three weeks, fattening up for the trip north. We have some robins year round but most of them leave before the heat of summer sets in.

Phillip, the first few days after the time switch, I never seem to sleep good and I always feel tired. I wish we'd just keep it one time year round.

Paul, I'm sure you'll get a few more rounds out of the snowblower before the robins settle in up there.

Carl, good day to you also and I hope spring does get to Iowa also.

Jeffrey, looks like we will miss the thunderstorms that are in your neck of the woods. We could use a week of dry weather since everything is really saturated from all the previous storms.

It's sunny and 75 here so nothing to complain abut weather-wise in Dixie. Nothing that looks like it even has a chance of developing into a severe storm situation until at least the weekend so my excuse for not doing yard work is evaporating. :D
 
Phillip, the first few days after the time switch, I never seem to sleep good and I always feel tired. I wish we'd just keep it one time year round.

Thats exactly the way we here in Indiana did it up until about two years ago. Thing is, I was up all night, not just an hour or so. And I've lived all over the U.S., so I've done this a zillion times before. Oh well, bed's gonna feel real good tonight!
 
Went and bought a new Sony card reader for my computers today. That was the other item that was crashing the Unix Core on occasion. So I figured that the old Kodak reader had seen better days. This one is fast......and can read 17 different kinds of media. As with all Mac stuff, ya just plug it in and go. Came with a CD for the dark side of computing so that the computer can find what ever it needs. Anyway, I had some photos of the latest ice storm after the snowstorm which came after the other ice storm.... These were taken last Saturday before the tree limbs started coming down.

Ice7w.png


Ice6w.png


Ice5w.png


In the last one you can see the ice on top of the layer of snow. The wire in the first one has an inch of ice across it. The wires and trees mostly cleared today in the sun. Looks pretty but can be a real problem for utilities. The evening paper says there are still hundreds of families in the area without electric power.
 
Well, it's official, I did a good thing by purchasing the walthers kit at the train show. I looked on hobbylinc and walthers to double check the prices. The kit is sold out and won't be available until July. I'm happy I bought when I did. My wife was not real thrilled with the purchase. She pointed out how long it may be until I can build a new layout. I quickly used that point against her. I told her that it will give me something to do until then. She didn't seem to agree! Twenty minutes later she was fine with it. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, at least, on a thirty dollar purchase! I got the kit for three dollars less than the Walthers sale price, and I didn't have to pay shipping. I think I did well.:)

I sure am glad we didn't get the snow the rest of you folks got. Have a good day.
 
Good morning folks

It was 41 F as I rolled on to the highways this morning. We are going up to 47 F today. There is no rain in the forecast until Thursday. Hopefully that will give the ground some time to dry out.

My son has his first baseball practice tonight. They plan on using the tennis courts since the ground is still too muddy. I have to go to a Cub Scout Roundtable after his practice tonight.

No modeling last night. We had to take my daughter out to get the Easter dress. It was bad it took us only two stores. Of course one was in Clifton Heights, PA and the other in Newark, DE; 32 miles away. Amazingly we made the trip in 40 minutes! I may have used up all my traffic luck for the month. Traffic was light and most of the traffic lights were green.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Morning all.

That's some driving Tom, and two stores isn't bad. Could have been much worse.

No modeling for me either, went to dinner with friends instead. Sick daughter this morning, might have to head back home if daycare calls for me to pick her up. Poor kid.

Daylight savings has me driving to work in the dark again, should not last too long though. Temps in the 40s for the next few days, should get the rest of the ice off of my driveway.

Have a great day.
 


Morning all!

Another mostly sleepless night last night for me. I don't know whats up with that. Think I might get some sleeping pills today so I can get a bit more relaxed tonight. Funny thing is, I already am relaxed. I lay there, tierd as can be, but at the same time I feel like I could run 100 miles. I know, I'm wierd! Maybe the pills will help. I don't use them often, maybe once or twice a year, but this might just be one of those times. Oh well, you all don't want to hear about that. I'm rambling........

The wife is doing better! She continues to improve daily. She's having a new friend from church over to spend the day today. Seems this lady is interested in homeschooling and since we've been doing it for years she thought she'd ask my wife about it.

And that brings up a hot topic these days, doesn't it? Homeschooling is under attack in the United States today. The basic schooling that our forefathers had before they went to institutes of higher learning is deemed as insufficiant by some of our policy makers, and thats just a shame. It was always my impression that people like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Leonardo Di Vinci, Patrick Henry, Benjamin Franklin, Sir Isaac Newton, Plato, Socrates, and countless others, were concidered to be fairily smart people. Who knew they were idiots all along!

As homeschoolers we find ourselves under constant scrutiny, but thats OK in a way. It keeps us on our toes. But at the same time, we homeschoolers don't do that to the non-homeschoolers, so it's like a kind of subtle discrimination. And I'm not alone in this feeling either. I recieved this rant a while back from a homeschooling parent who needed to vent. They made some excellent points, so I thought I'd share it now since the topic is in the news. I toned down the language some, but it's still pretty "in your face", so I appologize in advance if I upset anyone, but frankly, I'm a little tierd of the condesending looks given by some, the overly critical eye, and so on. Anyways, here it is......(sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade!)


1 Please stop asking us if it's legal. If it is - and it is - it's insulting to imply that we're criminals. And if we were criminals, would we admit it?

2 Learn what the words "socialize" and "socialization" mean, and use the one you really mean instead of mixing them up the way you do now. Socializing means hanging out with other people for fun. Socialization means having acquired the skills necessary to do so successfully and pleasantly. If you're talking to me and my kids, that means that we do in fact go outside now and then to visit the other human beings on the planet, and you can safely assume that we've got a decent grasp of both concepts.

3 Please stop interrupting my kid at her dance lesson, scout meeting, choir practice, baseball game, art class, field trip, park day, music class, 4H club, or soccer lesson to ask her if as a homeschooler she ever gets to socialize.

4 Don't assume that every homeschooler you meet is homeschooling for the same reasons and in the same way as that one homeschooler you know.

5 If that homeschooler you know is actually someone you saw on TV, either on the news or on a "reality" show, the above goes double.

6 Please stop telling us horror stories about the homeschoolers you know, know of, or think you might know who ruined their lives by homeschooling. We are not those people.


7 We don't look horrified and start quizzing your kids when we hear they're in public school. Please stop drilling our children like potential oil fields to see if we're doing what you consider an adequate job of homeschooling.

8 Stop assuming all homeschoolers are religious.

9 Stop assuming that if we're religious, we must be homeschooling for religious reasons.

10 We didn't go through all the reading, learning, thinking, weighing of options, experimenting, and worrying that goes into homeschooling just to annoy you. Really. This was a deeply personal decision, tailored to the specifics of our family. Stop taking the bare fact of our being homeschoolers as either an affront or a judgment about your own educational decisions.

11 Please stop questioning my competency and demanding to see my credentials. I didn't have to complete a course in catering to successfully cook dinner for my family; I don't need a degree in teaching to educate my children. If spending at least twelve years in the kind of chew-it-up-and-spit-it-out educational facility we call public school left me with so little information in my memory banks that I can't teach the basics of an elementary education to my nearest and dearest, maybe there's a reason I'm so reluctant to send my child to school.

12 If my kid's only six and you ask me with a straight face how I can possibly teach him what he'd learn in school, please understand that you're calling me an idiot. Don't act shocked if I decide to respond in kind.

13 Stop assuming that because the word "home" is right there in "homeschool," we never leave the house. We're the ones who go to the amusement parks, museums, and zoos in the middle of the week and in the off-season and laugh at you because you have to go on weekends and holidays when it's crowded and icky.

14 Stop assuming that because the word "school" is right there in homeschool, we must sit around at a desk for six or eight hours every day, just like your kid does. Even if we're into the "school" side of education - and many of us prefer a more organic approach - we can burn through a lot of material a lot more efficiently, because we don't have to gear our lessons to the lowest common denominator.

15 Stop asking, "But what about the Prom?" Even if the idea that my kid might not be able to indulge in a night of over-hyped, over-priced revelry was enough to break my heart, plenty of kids who do go to school don't get to go to the Prom. For all you know, I'm one of them. I might still be bitter about it.

16 Don't ask my kid if she wouldn't rather go to school unless you don't mind if I ask your kid if he wouldn't rather stay home and get some sleep now and then.

17 Stop saying, "Oh, I could never homeschool!" Even if you think it's some kind of compliment, it sounds more like you're horrified. One of these days, I might not bother disagreeing with you any more.

18 If you can remember anything from chemistry or calculus class, you're allowed to ask how we'll teach these subjects to our kids. If you can't, thank you for the reassurance that we couldn't possibly do a worse job than your teachers did, and might even do a better one.

19 Stop asking about how hard it must be to be my child's teacher as well as her parent. I don't see much difference between bossing my kid around academically and bossing him around the way I do about everything else.

20 Stop saying that my kid is shy, outgoing, aggressive, anxious, quiet, boisterous, argumentative, pouty, fidgety, chatty, whiny, or loud because he's homeschooled. It's not fair that all the kids who go to school can be as annoying as they want to without being branded as representative of anything but childhood.

21 Quit assuming that my kid must be some kind of prodigy because she's homeschooled.

22 Quit assuming that I must be some kind of prodigy because I homeschool my kids.

23 Quit assuming that I must be some kind of saint because I homeschool my kids.

24 Stop talking about all the great childhood memories my kids won't get because they don't go to school, unless you want me to start asking about all the not-so-great childhood memories you have because you went to school.

25 And one last thing; remember the words of your mother. If you can't say something nice, don’t say anything at all. (Oh wait, I learned that at home, not school!)

/rant

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

I'll go back to my corner now..........
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top