Coffee shop part 9

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning gents!

Definitely colder today than yesterday, here in the Mid'lantic region. No ice or snow at least.

Ray/Paul/Tom - The winter storm that really sticks out in my mind is late January 1996, when we had 3 storms in succession, each 2 days apart from each other. Every time highway dept crews were on the verge of getting the roads cleared, another blizzard would hit. All of the supermarkets in my area were sold out of the basics like milk, eggs and bread - people were going nuts trying to find these items. Sure hope I never have to go thru something like that again!

Jim, snow is just barely infrequent enough around here that a snowblower would not be a worthwhile investment. Also, one of my neighbors has an ATV with a snowplow attachment on it and automatically plows everybody's driveways - works fine as long as the accum level stays below 6".

Rex, that's a fine looking mobile home you have there! Hope you'll be in 'bama when my family and I visit our Pell City relatives in later August, instead of some other side of the country.

Steve - too bad Nicki's cell phone wasn't equipped with a video camera. She could have caught the jerks on 'tape', then you could have sent that to the corporate HQ of the store. Or maybe shared it on U-tube. Then who'd have had the last laugh!

Been working on 2 cement hoppers for the past week, painted in the orange-yellow Chessie scheme. I've joined MTW to get their guidance on weathering them. And this Saturday I'll be visiting an N-scaler on the Eastern Shore ('wm3798' on the MR forum). Meanwhile, my layout lies neglected and unused...
 
Ken

I remember those storms. That was the time of the rolling blackouts. The first storm hit and then the temperatures dropped below 0 F. It was so cold they couldn’t clear the roads because the slush turned into ice and it was too cold for the road salt to work. I remember it took me two hours to get to work which back then was normally a twenty minute trip. I get to work and the power is off. We stayed for about an hour and then the Governor sent us home and declared a state of emergency and we were off for three days due to the power outages.
 
Yep Ice Storms can be a lot of fun. The last really bad one we had here was 2003 I think. Power was off for 3 days. I got home from a trip just in time to pull in my driveway and hear a massive "CRACK"! Huge limb came down from a neighbors tree with resultant sparks as it took down the power lines. I ended up driving into Canandaigua the next day to get my dear old mother down to my house as the Assisted Living center didn't have enough back up emergency power to heat the rooms. Mom had a touch of dementia which made the next several days, ah, lets say, interesting....... My next door neighbors came in the second night of the emergency to find the entire city of Geneva dark. They turned the corner onto our street and the husband, "Oh, we have power, look Ray's house in all lit up." Of course I simply got out the camping gear, lit the wood stove, propane lanterns, etc and hunkered down for the duration. The wife took a look at my house and said to her husband, "Dear, what does ray do?" He said, (well I shouldn't quote his exact language here......). They spent the next 2 days sitting in their hoiuse in the dark, with no heat, and no way to cook food. I found out later that spring. I told them that they could have borrowed propane heaters, stoves (I have a 3 burner, two 2 burners, and two single burner stoves), and Propane to see them through. Hopefully next time they will ask.

I had a long breakfast this morning just enjoying watching the ice falling off the trees. I then had to go to bank and turn in a W-4V at the SS office. hence I didn't get to say good morning to all of you. So Good Afternoon everybody! Hope you all have a fine day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


So I think that I am officially obsessed. On my way to work this morning I saw a train headed in my direction and I could have definitely made it across the tracks well before they arrived. The flashing lights actually came on as I was making my premature stop, no cars behind me. I was able to get the camera out and click off a couple of pics of the local shortline with a mixed tow of hoppers and tankers being led by two GP38-2s and two GP40-2s. Still made it to work on time but, today I was smiling when I got there. :D

2315517510_e694847dc6_o.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ray, thats a great shot of the ice, glad it's not like that here.
RexThats what i call a caravan, stunning just stunning,,, but where is the layout ??
JimThere was an attack on a teanage girl a few weeks back at the side of a busy road down south, it was caught on CCTV cameras and no fewer than thirty cars stopped at the road junction and not one person got out to help, i hope they all get taken in and locked up for doing nothing to help.
Carl Thats the way to live, nice and easy, everyone is in to much of a rush, nice shot.
 
...RexThats what i call a caravan, stunning just stunning,,, but where is the layout ??

Steve/Carey: What looks like an awning on the side of the trailer is actually a pull-down layout. Its...uh...a new design I came up with for traveling train shows. Very flexible to give the illusion of rolling hills!:rolleyes: :D

Carl: GREAT SHOT.

Hey guys, Carey came over today and seems to be back with us full swing in MR. His visit even helped me further gain momentum in the hobby. I know that my biggest problem was getting too involved in Railroad & Co. Software. It is a grand program, but takes time to learn, can be frustrating, and I was trying to do it all "RIGHT NOW". Plain and simple, it took away from my main modeling. So, I have decided to dedicate only one day a week for it and all the other time in my depot will be on either running or working on the layout. Sound good? Have you ever put yourself in a similar situation?
 
Yep, Jeffrey that sucker is going to make its way all the way up to where I live. They are already predicting close to a foot of snow and sleet here in the Finger lakes this weekend from the system. I have a concert to record on Saturday, and I have no idea whether it is going to happen or not. Kinda hard to do any planning. Could be a real mess! Hope you stay safe!
 
That's it for me tonight sports fans. I have a 120 mile drive ahead of me tomorrow and I'm gonna be pretty sore when I get back home. See y'all later.:cool:
 


Good luck, Jeffrey. Looks like we'll get some of it too but not as much as you. Drive safe.

Steve, my motto is "An armed society is a polite society". One of the reasons that people will help out in situations like you describe is that about 10% of the population in Alabama legally carries concealed firearms. We just had an incident last week in Montgomery where an armed carjacker took a woman's car and, with her still in, managed plow directly into a cement mixer. As usual, the innocent victim was killed while the bad guy ran off. Unfortunately for him, another citizen had observed the armed man and was following the vehicle when the accident occurred. He was on the cell phone with the police but they were still at least five minutes away. This citizen could tell from the violence of the crash that someone had been seriously injured or killed. In another unfortunate coincidence for the bad guy, this citizen was also a former Marine sniper and was armed. One head shot with a .40 cal at almost 100 yards solved that problem. He's also a paramedic and rendered aid to the woman victim until the ambulance arrived but she was pronounced dead on the scene. Too bad about the bad guy, huh? Strangely, even with all the armed citizens here, I never see bodies littering the streets. Law abiding citizens generally don't shoot someone unless their life or another life is in danger. This bad guy was about to carjack another vehicle when his life was ended. Criminals could care less about gun laws - they can get all they want and they'll use them. In a world full of insane people with guns, I want some sane people with guns around too.

Carl, nice shot but it sure looks cold up there.

Rex, nice trailer. I was wondering about where the layout was going too.:) You are going to have the Federal Formaldehyde Inspectors out to certify that you new toy is safe, aren't you? Good to hear CJ is out and about again. I can tell you from personal experience writing CAD system software for police and fire departments that you can't do that full time - you'll go insane. One day a week will work fine.

Ray, isn't it amazing how few people have the personal responsibility to have made at least some effort to take of themselves when disaster strikes? At least you're not in California, where we sat around and waited for FEMA to tell us what to do next.

Ken, I'd much rather have neighbor with a snowplow that's willing to plow my drive while I sit inside a nice warm house and watch him. :) I think it's Paul that has the secret snowblower fantasies ;)

Well time for bed. I have to pick all the quills out of me for the "apocolypic railroad" thread. I havent had that kind of attack since Al was across the street. Actually, this guy in newly registered and his peronal attacks and vindictiveness kind of remind me of Al. You don't think that he could be one in the same, do you? Hmmm...wonder what town he gave when he registered?
 
Thanks for the compliments on the photo everyone, I knew that I had to get at least one good shot since I had front row seats and all. :D

Jim~ It was about 25F in that picture so it's starting to warm up. :rolleyes: Should be in the 40s next week. :eek:
 
Good morning

Currently At 6:09AM

Cloudy 41°F
Feels like 32°F
Winds: NNW at 13mph
Cloudy
Humidity: 91%, Dew Point: 39° , Pressure: N/A, Visibility: 5 Miles


Today

Rain, High: 44°F, Feels like: 35°F
Sunrise: 6:32 AM
Cloudy
. Rain or snow likely in the morning...then a chance of rain or snow in the afternoon. Cooler. No snow accumulation. Highs in the lower 40s early...then temperatures steady or falling through the day. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Tonight

Intermittent Clouds, Low: 34°F, Feels like: 27°F
Sunset: 6:15 PM
Mostly cloudy. A
20 percent chance of snow in the evening. Colder. Lows around 30. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph.

P1010002-45.jpg
 
Good Morning Bill , Carl & Jeffrey ! Looks like a calm before the storm again . Can't wait snow blower and shovel are just waiting for it. Suppoe to last from tonight till Sunday Morning ! We had a big storm in October of 06. Right befi=ore Halloween . It was so bad that they wanted to cancel trick or treat and some areas did because of all the tree limbs on the ground. Hey carl props to the proto shot . Some real sweet Locos there . well Guys here 's hoping this storm isn't to bad for everyone and hope that all can have a nice kinda day !!!!
 
Good morning folks

It was 37 F on its way to 48 F this morning. I had quite a foggy drive into the office this morning. Anyone see Noah? Rumor has it he is out buying wood. According to the weather-hype-it-ups we are in for a biblical type of rain starting tonight and lasting through tomorrow. One guy said if it was snow they would be predicating three feet. They are saying we could get between 1½ to 3 inches of rain.

No modeling last night. My daughter had Girl Scouts and we were decorating a cake for tomorrow’s Blue & Gold cake decorating contest.

This will be an insane weekend. We have the Cub Scout Blue & Gold Banquet tomorrow. My son has a basketball playoff game on Sunday and my daughter has a regular season game also. We also need to fit in the grocery shopping.

If I ever get down to the basement and I am not cleaning up water from this weekend’s predicated flooding rains I need to put some stuff away and tidy up the layout. I then need to look over the pile on the workbench and choose the next project.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Mornin' everybody!

I've already gotten a days work done today..... Only have 3 days work left to do before tomorrow. We are having the calm before the storm. They are predicting over a foot of snow by Sunday Morning. Still no word as to whether the All County is on as scheduled for this weekend or not.

I best do some work on my taxes.... See you all later.
 
Hi everyone...how about some lunch together. HEY FLO! We're hungry.

All you guys talking about the weather got me to notice a chair in the den. I have a button-up sweater, lightweight jacket, and a leather jacket piled up from the last few days of our weather. When we say, "stick around...the weather will change shortly", we mean it. We have had daily temps of 53, 67, 78, 48, 53, and tomorrow...43. Do you wonder why we all have colds and sniffles. You never know what to wear to work the next day until that morning and even then, it may drastically change during the day. Crazy!:D :D

KENL: I will make it a point to be around when you come to Bama. Hope you will get a chance to come over to T-town. Where was it you said that you were going? Pell City?

:) Well, hope all of you have a good start to a fine weekend.:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all!

I'm back from taking the wife to her post-op doctors appointment. Doc says it all looks good. Thats a good thing! Got more meds too!

Supposed to get a big snow storm here over the next 24hrs. It's already started up out there. We'll probably see 3-4 inches, but in areas southeast of us they're looking at more like 8-10 inches. Still got a lot of wind though.

Gonna try and get massive amounts of homework done this weekend, and also throw in so layout time if I can! We'll see!

Later!
 


That's very good news Philip. I know she will be glad when all this is over (and you.;) )

Would you believe that we are now under a snow advisory. Yup, we may get 1" of that stuff you northern boys love so much:D . Because of the warm ground temps, they are not expecting any accumulation except on grassy areas .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top