Coffee shop part 9

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning.

Cool and wet here this morning. Currently it's 52 degrees under cloudy skies with medium fog. We're expecting a high of 70 with partly cloudy skies this afternoon.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/24/2008


Wind Chill: 53°F
Humidity: 98%
Dew Point: 53°F

So Far Today
High: 53°F
Low: 47°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph ESE

Today High: 75 Mostly cloudy this morning. Mostly sunny this afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s. West winds around 10 mph shifting to the north in the afternoon.

Tonight Low: 48 Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s. Light and variable winds.
 
Carey--

Thanks, I am really proud of them. Just to carry it a little further, the Adjudicator, after we finished during the afternoon came up and kind of just stared at us, then grinned at me and said, "Where on EARTH did you get that incredible Bass section?" I grinned back and said, "The Soccer team." He just cracked up! It was a really GOOD day, by golly!
Tom

Tom that is great! I am very happy for you. Having things go right at those things is always a great feeling! When you posted yesterday I was thinking it was an all area festival where they all perform together and you had come out of retirement to be the director. I used to take my groups to the NYSSMA Adjudication Festivals every year. You could always count on them to screw up royally (well they were middle schoolers....). BTW when I was in high school we got our bass section from the football team. Our director (David Riley) was also the backfield coach of the football team. Come to think of it most of the best singers in the bass section were on first string.... Hmmmmm?

Mornin' everybody! Looks like another great day here in the Finger lakes. Not even said with any of my usual sarcasm...... The sun is shining although it will remain a bit chilly with a high of 35°F. But sundown the lawn should be green and waiting for the next storm to arrive on Wednesday....:p

I have to get to work on some video shorts for the Boy Scouts so I best finish my coffee and get to work. See you later!
 


jeffery.......52 deg is cool? it was 45 here and I was out side in a short sleeve shirt!! it felt almost like summer compared to latly!!

Ryan
 
Evening, everyone.

Phillip, congrats to you son, a three point swish is about as good as it gets.

Ray, nice little car. Did that paint job match your railroad color scheme by accident or was it planned? :)

Ryan, sounds like you'll have a great train room when you're done. I wish I had the kind of talent you do when it comes to construction.

Tom, W, glad the storm held off and that your choir was such a success. Just goes to prove that you don't need an army to sound good.

CJ, too bad about that hose. I had one that had been boxed up for 25 years and the first time I applied pressure to it, it looked like a lawn sprinkler, so yours lived a longer life than mine. I hope it had a proper burial. :D

We had a nice, sunny day, with a high of 70. Looks like it will be a little stormy tomorrow night and then blustery with a high in the low 40's on Tuesday, which kind of like 10 degrees to you guys who have all that thick blood flowing in your veins. :) My hand continues to improve and I can use all the fingers on it today for the first time. It's now starting to itch, which is a good sign for healing but quite annoying. I felt pretty foolish worrying about a small thing like my hand when I listened to some of our church member's stories of losing everything and escaping death by seconds. Everyone has pulled together, though, and there's no one without a warm place to sleep and food to eat in town. It's amazing what can get done when organizations like FEMA stay out of the way.
 
02-25-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
Buffet.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png
 
Mornin' Bill!

Jim, the color was very carefully chosen. The salesman asked me what color I wanted. I told him anything other than Black (Too hot sitting in the sun in summer) or White (which looks a lot like snow during a whiteout in winter), oh and I don't want any of those sissy pink types either. We left it at that, so when I went to pick it up I asked him what color he found for me. He answered, "Sissy Pink!" I do like the color. Somebody opened the door of a white car into the side of mine already. I was not a happy person. Found it when I got home yesterday. It should buff out as my paint isn't chipped, but !!!!!!!!!!!
 
Good morning all!

TomW - A friend of mine one told me, there is no such thing as "retirement" for those who are the best at their profession. Congrats on the concert!

Ray - bummer about the car door! I never seem to have that problem with any of my older cars, only the showroom-fresh ones. Makes me wonder if the inconsiderate jerks who slam their doors into mine may be a tad envious...? :rolleyes:

Looks like the Mid 'Lantic region is getting a brief reprieve from the cold & wet weather, I'm actually seeing sunlight outside my window! I can handle either one of those by themselves, it's when they team up and create snow/ice that life gets crazy. Speaking of which: I'm supposed to be getting my Honda back today (the one that fishtailed into a curb during a snowfall in late January). I sure hope so, this 20yr-old Mercedes that belonged to my late F-I-L is a major gas hawg!
 
Hi everyone! Nice to see so many at the start of the week. We spent a three night weekend semi-camped out at a friends hunting club. I say "semi" as we were using the camphouse for everything except sleeping. Good thing we had the house as it rained most of the time and it at least gave us some space.

Like the car, Ray. Cute color:rolleyes: :D .

Now, I need a "back-in-the-mood" modelrailroad shot. I just can't seem to get motivated this new year. What did you take Ken? HELP:eek: !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Rex, Ken, Ray howdy folks, how ya'll doing, sounds like your over the flu Rex,

Just done roast lamb with with lots of nice vegies and a handfull of diced red chillies, Mmmmmm

those poor indonesian folks are taking a hammering this week with earthquakes, it's been a very active week so far, hope they don't get anything bigger than ones they have been getting all week from magnitude 5 to 7.4 USGS
 


Afternoon, folks.

Ray, it never fails that you notice that first scratch in the car about two days after you get it. It seems like they all start to blend in after a while but that first one is always a bummer. At least that "Sissy Pink" looks pretty good in the snow. :)

Ken, this is that time of the year up there where it goes from sunny to cold to ice and snow and then back to sunny. At least you know how bad it will be in January but you never know what's going to happen next once March rolls around.

Rex, good to see you back on your feet well enough to try hunting. The weather wasn't ideal, that's for sure, glad you had a dry to place to sleep. My wife's family has a hunting camp down in Butler County and it didn't look like a fun place to spent a rainy weekend. Did you manage to snag any deer?

That whole getting back in the MR mood thing comes over me at times. I didn't run the layout from last Sunday, when we had the tornado, until today. I was having nothing but grief with a BLI E6B derailing constantly and just sort of gave up. I decided to fix that thing this morning and dismantled the whole thing. I think I found the problem. One wheel was slightly out of gauge but the big problem was that the needlepoint was hanging up in the nylon bushing in the truck. It would get stuck on a curve and derail but only occasionally. I got it off the track at the right time to see the problem and drilled out that bushing and regauged the truck. Seems to run fine now so that lets me move on to another project. One stuck thing like that can make me loose interest for weeks.

Steve, your roast lamb sounds better than my Spam sandwich. :D I hope things don't get worse in Indonesia but the whole earth seems to be getting more seismically active in the past month. My brother has been staying in Yuma, Arizona for the winter and they've had swarms of 5.0 to 5.5 earthquakes for the past month. That area had a 7.9 in 1940 and it averages one big quake about every 50 years so they're due. He's in an RV and I told him I'd get out but he's paid up through the end of March and doesn't want to lose the money. I told him to get a lot of water and canned goods then because there won't be any water or any way to get out of Yuma for at least five days if they have a 7.9. At least he has a generator and batter power and I don't think even a big quake will do serious damage to a motor home.

Nice day here with a temperature of 73. Have to go pick up my daughters car from the body shop. she had that small accident two weeks ago and they've just now gotten it fixed but they have been inundated with damaged cars from the tornado so I told them our repair wasn't a priority and to work on the people's cars who need them to get to work. Should have a cold front pass though here tonight and tomorrow morning but it still doesn't look like enough instability to cause any severe storms. I hope so, everyone is on edge here as soon as they hear thunder and it starts to get the least bit windy.
 
jeffery.......52 deg is cool? it was 45 here and I was out side in a short sleeve shirt!! it felt almost like summer compared to latly!!

Ryan
It is when that morning wind is coming across the lake.

Good afternoon.

It's currently 71 here under partly cloudy skies. Expecting a high of 79. It's already quite humid.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/25/2008


Wind Chill: 69°F
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 59°F

So Far Today
High: 71°F
Low: 48°F
Rain: 0.01"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 22mph SW

Rest Of Today High: 78 Increasing clouds. Highs in the upper 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 48 Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the upper 40s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph shifting to the northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

P1010021-4.jpg


P1010017-5.jpg
 
Afternoon Everyone ! Just stopped in after the funeral services for my Mother-In-Law, a very nice service , well done by the funeral director and priest ! . Looks like this is the last day before the winter storm coming across the US . Well at least it was a nice day today .I'm out of here so hope the rest of your day is a good one !
 
Rex, good to see you back on your feet well enough to try hunting. The weather wasn't ideal, that's for sure, glad you had a dry to place to sleep. My wife's family has a hunting camp down in Butler County and it didn't look like a fun place to spent a rainy weekend. Did you manage to snag any deer?
Naw, I gave up hunting several years ago. I guess old(er) age gave me a new appreciation of ALL life. (although the venison stew was sure good Saturday night;) ) I still have 1 rifle, 1 shotgun, two black powder rifles, and one .40 cal Glock that I love to shoot and my old hunting club is great for this. We mostly went just to get out and away from things. It probably wasn't the most sane thing to do because of just getting over the flu, but it was that or kill each other:eek: :D .

Steve, ummmmm wow! Send me a care package with the lamb roast and all.

Paul, glad service for your MIL went well and hope the family can now start to recover from her loss.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evening yall,

Steve I'll take some of that lamb!

Rex good to see you back here! Wish I had a magic pill for you, but the effects are always only temporary; after I finished painting and weathering that Centerflow and posting it in WPF, I sort of had another letdown. Probably because I went into my trainroom and was reminded what a horrible messy state it currently is in.

Jim, I feel your pain. Seems like I'm always discovering yet another favorite loco of mine that insists on derailing. So instead of a relaxing op session, I spend the whole hour troubleshooting and trying to fix the malfunctioning loco. Doesn't do wonders for the attitude...

Paul, prayers for your family to begin healing after their loss.

Do any of know Terry-In-Texas, a.k.a. "C&O Fan" on the forum across the street? Apparently he's been diagnosed with throat cancer, and that's why he's been absent from there for so long. Shoot up some prayers for Terry if you're so inclined.

Well, I was hoping I'd be driving my Honda again today, but no such luck. Apparently they sent it to an outside shop to get the alignment done, and even though they had assured me it would be ready, they still hadn't gotten it back when I was ready to drive out and pick it up.:mad: At least they called me before I wasted a 40-minute drive. Looks like I'm stuck with the gas-guzzlin' clunker until the next time Vicky is available to drive me out there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening folks

I finally have a chance to sit in front of the computer and type. It has been a crazy day. At work I was on the go from the time I walked in until I left. We are still trying to get several projects advertised but they are full of problems. If we could only get people to read before they write something it would go along to stopping these last minute issues. In the afternoon I had to run over to the Scout Center and finalize our Pack charter and pick up awards and patches for our pack meeting this week.

We had a busy weekend with the kids each having basketball games. They also had softball and baseball try-outs. Somehow we got in the grocery shopping. Then the wife got the bright idea to replace some broken blinds in the kids’ room. Now after three trips to four different stores and two returns we have three out of four windows done. It is amazing how mismarked the blinds are. The package says it is a 31 inch blind and fits 30.75 to 32 inch windows. Of course our window is 31.5 inches and the blind is short. I measured the new 31 inch blind and it is only 30.25 inches long. We had three packages where the size was a half inch to an inch shorter than what was on the box.

I got all but one of the flat cars sealed. I just sealed the last one. I will have to get some photos shortly.

I hope everyone has a good evening.
 
An early good morning, everyone.

Ken, that's terrible news about Terry. He is one of the really nice guys over there. I'll keep him in my prayers.

Phillip, I'm glad the service went well and I hope it bought back good memories for everyone.

Rex, I gave up hunting years ago too. I just didn't like the idea of shooting deer that were lured to a tree stand with a feeder while everyone sat around drinking beer and waving their rifles around in ways that made me more than a little nervous. The only guns I have now are for self-protection. I have a Kel-Tec 9mm that is my concealed carry weapon, the wife had a Glock 17 that she carries in a fanny pack, and the home weapon is a Remington 870 short-barreled shotgun. It's what I used when I was a deputy and there's still no better weapon for home defense. There's not a bad guy in the country that doesn't know the sound of a round being racked into an 870. :)

Ken, I don't know what it is sometimes. I ran a U30C this evening that never gave me a bit of trouble and it started to derail on a curve in the back of the layout. It's always the back, never the front. Since I can't see the track well because I exceeded that magic 33" reach rule and all the scenery, I bought one of those auto inspection mirrors on a three foot bendable shaft. Money well spent since it has saved me from several hair pulling sessions. Turned out a small piece of ground foam had dislodged itself from the hillside and roll down on the track. You'd think a big engine like that with a pilot plow would be able to brush it aside but, no, it was like a boulder to it. The weird thing is that freight cars rolled right over it with no problems.

Tom, don't even get me started on blinds. We had to put two up in the bathroom and, of course, the windows were non-standard sizes. After about an hour of cursing and re-reading the instructions, I was able to get all the slats out and cut off two inches of each slat with my Dremel tool so it would fit. I then had to string just the right amount of slats back in again so it would hang right at the bottom of the window and then figure out how to tie off all those stings. I think I'd rather have the cat attack me again than do another one of those. :(

I've been up late watching another line of storms move in. This is really a fast moving squall line that keeps developing as it moves east. Rex, it's almost at T-Town now. The temperature here is 63 with a dew point of 60, perfect conditions for storm development. There is a huge amount of lightning with the storms to the north of us and the line is sagging south. We are under a severe thunderstorm watch and it looks like the storms will get here about 6:00 am. I'm hoping nothing bad comes out of this but this is one of those storm systems that makes me nervous watching it on radar. I might as well try and get some sleep before the storms get here but I've got all the lights down in the basement just in case.
 
Morning all!

Another beautiful day in central Indiana! Last night we had falling slush from the sky. Not rain.....not snow.......somewhere in between. It was slush, falling from the sky. Made my drive home from school rather, ummmmm, interesting! Now it's snowing lightly and the temps are dropping to the mid 20's.

Saw something on my way in this morning that you don't see a lot around here. Now remember, this is CSX / NS country. I saw a UP loco on point followed by a KCS and three more UP's all lugging on a container train. Now we see UP once in a while, but not a ton. We get KCS once or twice a year, but to have all of that and not a CSX or NS in sight? Never! They were headed to Indianapolis from Anderson area. Of course, I didn't have my camera!

Well, I have to head home this evening to help guide my son in the fine art of building a pinewood derby car. Should be fun, huh?

Also, we're getting ready for my wife to go have her next surgery. She's had one knee rebuilt, so now it's time for the other. I just wish she didn't have to go through all this. It hurts her so much, ya know? Prayers for her!

Matter of fact, prayers for all those in need! Yeah, thats you too!

Later!
 


Good Morming Bill & Phillip ! Another snowy day here on the Niagara Frontier , Sure wish those fellows on the West Coast woul leave their storms on their side of the Country . It is'nt like we need more snow here on our side . Well gotta go get the snow shovel warmed up again . hope all have a nice day !!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top