Coffee shop part 9

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Bill and other coffee clubbers!

Paul - condolences to you & family on MIL's passing, at least she's in a better place

Jim - hope that hand continues healing, and that your town will be spared of any more catastrophic weather later today.

CJ - great to see you back on here regularly again, hope this can continue!

Phillip, congrats to your son on the pizza fundraiser; wish my boy had that level of enthusiasm.

I've been invited to an op session at the home of a fellow Marylander [on the MR forum] for March 8. Sure hope I can go; it all depends on whether or not I can persuade the mother of one of my son's floor hockey teammates to drive him to his scheduled game. I've always wanted to hang out with forumites of my own region, the way you 'Bama guys are able to do.

My area is under a Winter Storm Warning until 10pm and my kids' schools are all closed, so I'll be telecommuting today. Gotta resist the temptation to take too many breaks at the mrr workbench!:D BTW that's why you haven't seen many posts from me lately - I've been extremely busy at work, and involved in a few painting/decaling projects. The more I hangout online, the less modeling I'm able to accomplish. I'm yearning to come up wth stuff to post on the WPF thread for a change...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Ken L!

That Winter Storm has pretty much fizzled out up here in the Finger Lakes. Expecting about 1" of snow and a high of 27°F.

I'm up early this AM for a couple of reasons. The committee chair for the Boy Ascout Sci Tek camp is coming over to work on some promotion videos with me and I'm waiting to hear if the Yaris I bought will be ready to go today. I also will have to go sign for and pick up the loan for the car at some point if it will be ready today or tomorrow.

Hope all of you are doimg well today and have a great one!
 
Good Morning Bill , Ken L & Ray , Like Ray said the storm pretty much fizzeled out here this far North , about an inch NYC is getting more then us HA Ha Ha, Yestreday was a pretty bad day going to the funeral hame with my wife and Sister In Law , No matter how many times you do it to make arrangements it is not easy . My MILaw lived next door to the funeral home her whole live. From birth to death the same home so we know the Funeral Director and he took extra good care of us. And my sister is the casket sales person so like all in the family . Oh well not much time for Model railroading and much else so better get off of hear and get some things done . Hope all have a real nice day !!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Mornin' Paul!

Mornin' Larry! Awesome cabinet! I have always admired people that actually have their tools organized in a neat logical manner. Mine are usually to be found wherever I used them last....... and sometimes not.
 
Good morning, everyone,

Got awakened about 7:30 by some pretty intense thunder. Having a pretty good line of storms moving through right now but the warm air hasn't arrived yet - it's still only 51. As long as we don't get the warm air and cold air colliding during the peak heating hours todays, we could get some severe thunferstorms but not tornadic activity. It will be a close call and everyone here is understandably nervous.

Paul, those kind of things ever do get easier. It sounds like it was at least better with your isister invovlved and the funeral director knowing your mother in law so well.

Ray, glad to hear your storm fizzeled - yoy guys need a break. I hope you're able to get your new car today.

Ken, sounds lke your area is going to get all the snow instead of further north. Telecommuting is great - Ialways got more work done at home even if I did spend a couple of hours goofing off at forums. :) I hope you get to go to that ops section. It's always fun to be part of an operations team on a big layout, assuming the brass hat isn't too anal about things. Gives you a chance to drool over a big layout, at least.

Larry, that's for you wood shop? Cany you come over and make some kitchen cabinets for me? They don't look half as nice as that one you putting in your shop. :D

My hand continues to improve. It's now down to near normal size and, although it still hurts, it's also starting to itch, which is annoying but a good sign for healing. I've got the cat's pet taxi out just in case there's trouble later today so I don't have to go through this with him again.
 
Good morning.

Currently it's 50 degrees and very wet here. We had a lot of rain and hail overnight as well as being under a tornado watch. The fire dept was on ready alert. Expecting a high of 68.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/22/2008


Wind Chill: 48°F
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 49°F

So Far Today
High: 66°F
Low: 51°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 21mph NNW

Today High: 68 Becoming partly sunny. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the upper 60s. Light and variable winds becoming north around 10 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight Low: 45 Decreasing clouds. Colder. Lows in the mid 40s. Light and variable winds.
 
Just got in from a wild windy cold trip to see a steam special,,, and it never came, they re planned it for tommorow morning instead, it was only a positioning move (empty coaching stock), what i did not expect was a preserved diesel coming along which made up for it, almost.
 
Mornin' again...

Got a call this morning from the car dealer and my credit union. I should be go to pick up the loan and the car this afternoon. Looks like i will get a chance to see how she handles in a bit of snow. We are currently getting some of the white stuff falling. Not a lot and it is not supposed to amount to more than an inch or so. OH NO! If the wheather prognosticators are as good as usual, it will be a blizzard by the time I get to drive it home!!!!!:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Jim, glad your hand is healing. I had cellulitis a couple years ago in one leg. The itching as it heals can be very annoying! Took a while to get back to normal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
well we didnt get as much snow as expected, so into work i went this morning!! I left early though!!! almost have the basement insulated (been procrastinating on this for a while) hopefully i'll be layin track soon.. Ryan
 


Hi, guys--

Haven't been here in a while--WAY too long, but thought I'd check in. Out here in SunnyCal we're expecting a big storm tomorrow--winds of between 40 and 60MPH, lots of rain here in the Sacramento Valley and lots of snow up in the Sierras. And by lots, out here in the Sierras, we talk about feet, not inches. Should be interesting. So far this year, we're trying to catch up on what we didn't have last year--which is a decent water table. We're kind of catching up this year, skiing's good and the reservoirs are filling up.

I'm still vacuuming my MR out in the garage (California basement) from a surprise roof job earlier this winter (yah, I know, ALWAYS get a new roof in October, right? Sheesh!). In my next life, I'm going to INSULATE the darned thing before I build another MR, I swear. Put tarp over the Yuba River Sub before the job, but I can't believe what filtered through. I'm still finding little scraps here and there, mostly here--and why are they always attracted to turnout points?

Anyway, between teaching and coping with the old-age creakies, the Sub has been kind of neglected of late. Plan on curing that from now on. I've been kitchen-table railroading lately--picked up a basket-case brass Akane 1960's Missabe Yellowstone (my third) for a song at a MR show in Roseville last month, and am giving it TLC to get it running again. Little lady must have taken a TREMENDUOUS nose-dive to someone's concrete floor, but the mechanism is undamaged, and the superstructure is repairable. Coming along pretty well--I re-articulated the mechanism courtesy of NWSL the other day and it runs nice and smooth--the original open-frame motor works fine, doesn't run hot or even warm, but I've got a new NWSL motor on standby just in case. Those Akane's were built like Sherman tanks!

So anyway, right now, that's my project. Just hope the electricity doesn't go out this weekend.

Tom
 
Hey Tom good to hear from you! I 'lurk' alot on the other side, but I rarely if ever actually participate in the fights er-- I mean discussions LOL! How's that Maine Coon who's always stealing your cabooses? ;)

My layout's also sort of semi-functional, mostly because of clutter that always gets dumped by the rest of the family in the garage. Sheesh, don't these people know a trainroom when they see one!
 
Ken--

Nice to hear from you, too. Yah, it's gotten a little testy over there--I'm frankly getting a little tired of it. I noticed that Grandeman finally posted over there after what--two years? I've been remiss over here and I need to get back with people who ENJOY the hobby. I won't go into it deeply, but I've kind of let my actual modeling go for the past couple of years, but now I think it's time to get back into it and have the fun I used to when I was out in the garage playing God and saying things like "There WILL be a bridge over there," LOL!

Right now, I'm going to keep working on that sweet little 'basket-case' of mine. I really want her to join the other two Yellowstones hauling freight over my mountains, by golly!

PS: Spooky is alive and well, thanks, and she's still stealing cabeese. Yesterday she was perched on the kitchen table eyeing the Centipede tender to the Yellowstone. I looked at her and said, "There's no way, kiddo," she just looked back at and said, "Just WATCH, Daddy!"

Here we go again, LOL!

Tom :eek:
Best,
Tom
 
HEY, GET THIS!!!!!!

My boy hasn't made a single basket all season, though he's had lots of assists. Tonight, in the final game of the season, all that changed.

In the forth quarter he got the ball near the three point line and let it fly. It was one of those big arcing rainbow like shots. Now the whole crowd knew that he hadn't made a shot all year and you could hear them suck in their breath. The shot sailed towards the basket and went right through the hoop, nothing but net! The crowd exploded! The crowd for the other team thought we were all nuts. He just stood there for a second, dumbfounded. After the game he got some big time congrats and some of the fans from the other team came over to ask what that was all about. They got it when they were told.

In case you aren't aware, my son has degenerative Muscular Dystrophy. He will most likely be confined to a wheelchair by the time he hits 25 years old. He's not letting it slow him down though. Tonight will be with him for a long time!

Here is a picture or two from earlier in the season.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/12-6-07.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/MyBoy1-25-08.jpg

I didn't get the "big shot" on film as I was running clock, but several people did, including one on video, and they said they'd get me a copy.

OK, I'll admit it, I'm a proud pop tonight!
 
Hey, hey, hey! That is great Philip! Bet your son is one happy camper tonight!

Tom it is very good to see you back the easy going side of the street. It gets rough over there from time to time, but the weather here seems to be pleasent all the time.
 
Hey, Tom! Nice to see ya over here! I was a wondering when you'd see the light!:D

I wish I could pick up another Akane. You're right though. Those mechs are almost unbeatable! You sure can't find anything hardly that will outpull them.

Ken-L;
I hope I can post more regular now. I sure haven't felt this good in months. Maybe I should go into the hospital more often????(NOT!):D Your family sounds just like my wife. She thinks that just because that part of the layout doesn't have track on it, it can become part of her "flat" filing technique. You know about that, right? Any flat surface!:rolleyes:

Well overall, as I said earlier, I been on a model building spree the past couple of weeks. Sad to say though, I had to curtail it for a little while. We've had a death in the family.:(:(:(:(:(:(

WWWWAAAAAHHHH!


Notable Obituaries
​

Cjcrescent, chief cook, bottlewasher and night janitor of the Alabama Central RR, announced today, that his beloved longtime companion, Mr. Passche Airbrush Hose passed on today after a short illness. Cjcrescent states Hose was hard at work, priming 10 models, when without warning, he gave up the ghost, (split in 4 separate places), after over 30 years of service. Some claim that Mr Hose wouldn't have passed on the way he did, had he been better cared for. "Well, I guess, that if you've had untold amounts of lacquer thinner, Xylol, Toulol and other stuff dumped on you pretty steady for as long as he did, you're bound to get tired and wore slap out!", claimed CJ in a short interview. CJ also announced there will be a short memorial service prior to the funeral at "The File 13 Cemetary and Round Receptical Gardens" at 3:00PM in Hoover, Alabama tomorrow. Please have a moment of silence to remember his many years of faithful service.:rolleyes:

So, I went to the local Hobby Lobby and bought a new hose and finished the priming the models.:p:p:D;)
 
02-23-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
Buffet.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png
 


Good Morning Bill! It's a nice day here on the Niagara Frontier ! Cold but periods of sun , good day to be out and enjoy the outsie a bit. Bit of a lull inbetween funeral days. Tomorrow will be spent in the fueral home so a good day to rest up. Tom welcome back to the best coffee shop in the world . Just ask Flo . Larry nice looking cabinet you have built . Phiilp I can imagine you and your son beaming . Was wondering what that light was out there !!!!! Jim good to hear the hand is on the mend ! Well out of hear so wishing all a nice day 1!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top