Coffee shop part 2

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening Gang:
Ken: Yes I got the pm and will address the tube tomorrow. Sorry to not have let you know earlyer.
Rex: I'm going to do an open pit but just the edge of it. The Republic mine has one side that is straight down for about 300 ft. If I just do about a foot of the mine floor at the edge of the layout I can get in a shovel and truck and maybe the haul road to the head of the convayor. I'll do the convayor up to the crusher and loader. Try Googling for the Republic Mine. When I saw it in 1994 it was dry and had a bunch of equipment still at the bottom. It's been allowed to flood since then.
Well I'mm going to head for bed.
Good Night All
 
Paul W. Beverung said:
Rex: I'm going to do an open pit but just the edge of it. The Republic mine has one side that is straight down for about 300 ft. If I just do about a foot of the mine floor at the edge of the layout I can get in a shovel and truck and maybe the haul road to the head of the convayor. I'll do the convayor up to the crusher and loader. Try Googling for the Republic Mine. When I saw it in 1994 it was dry and had a bunch of equipment still at the bottom. It's been allowed to flood since then.
Here's the current state of the mines:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e....622147&spn=0.060192,0.21698&t=k&om=1&iwloc=A

I used to love to watch the LS&I ore trains at North Harbor, in Marquette MI, when I lived there.
 
Good morning ! from Indiana. :D

09-23-06

donuts.png


Diner.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png


:eek:
 


David - Did you ever have a table setup at the Great Scale Model Train Show in Timonium, MD? I remember visiting a table with a different kind of scale 'water' on display, can't remember if it was Magic Water though...

No ken, that was the manufacturer of Magic Water, Unrealdetails.
 
Darn Josh...that is one BIG hole.
Hey KENL! I just realized that you and I went over the 1000 mark a few posts back. Lots of yakety yak! Yadda Yadda! ...and just plain ole good fun. :D :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin' Bill! Mornin' Luc!

Josh, that is one big hole! Talk about moving mountains. I doubt any of us have enough space to model it in its entirety.

Well, I'm off to the LHS to get a few items so I can make some progress this weekend. Lack one section of cork roadbed to finish the new part of the layout track.
 
What a hole that is,,, you would need a 300' x 300' train room for that in N scale

Just got back from dad's caravan park, a monster tree did the splits and fell 60ft down into the garden and over a concrete footbridge almost hitting a walker, if dad hadn't shouted at him to get back he'd be pushing up dasiys now, today i cut it up for BBQ logs
 
Hi fellas;

Haven't been here in a while so I guess I can bring yall up to speed.

My daughter had some surgery that was supposed to be minor but turned into a 6 and a half hour marathon a week ago Friday. She has been bothered by several problems the past few years, but the MDs say she should be just fine now. She's still REAL sore from the surgery and the CO2 used to inflate the abdomen for the procedure, but each day is a little better.

Hope to be able to return to the layout in a short period of time. I need to make some progress in getting the darn thing built! I wanna run some trains!

I've been having some MAJOR E-mail trouble, but according to my ISP, its all on their end and it should be corrected shortly.

We'll see.
 


Steve B said:
What a hole that is,,, you would need a 300' x 300' train room for that in N scale

I could borrow my bro-in-laws digger and model that outside:eek:

I have progress!!!! I took the wall out in the middle of the train room so now I have one big room, 17 X 25 feet. I need to re-line the ceiling and patch the carpet but it's progress:D

Spent most of yesterday tiding my workshop (you don't want to see it as it was) I've made a shadow board on the wall so I can hang all my tools and have some bench space.

I think we had a minor earthquake around 4.30 am today (it's now 6 and I can't sleep) I watch the news later.

Enjoy your Saturday I've had mine!!

Ken.
 
As Paul W., one of the pit was almost vertical on one side, if *I* remember right it was something like a 75-80 degree angle down in. As for the Marquette Iron range, its penny's to half dollar's when compaired to the Messabi range:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=dulut...19287,-92.59552&spn=0.118017,0.43396&t=k&om=1
And thats just one if numerous mines up there in MN. Claudia should know what I'm talking about, having lived in Duluth & all.

As for the Marquette Range, Bob's RRF hosted a thread on it a few weeks back:
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14574

Whatever Paul W. plans, I can't WAIT to see pictures. A model of Upper MI truely catches my eye!
 
Evening All:
Josh, I checked back on the Republic site and the depth is 600ft. and the one wall is straight down. When I saw it in 94 there were shovels and drills still in the pit. Now it is full of water. I agree the the Republic is a small pit when compared to Hibbing but Tilden and Palmer are no slouches.
Well I'm off to bed.
Good Night All
 
Paul didn't I just see you across the street stocking up on Donuts?!?

Good Evening All

Thanks for the well wishes and yes I'm hoping Dad is on the mend. Kind of disapointed as he looks worse for wear after getting out then when he went in. Unfortunately between two weeks of sleep deprevation, two infections, hospital food and being bed ridden it can be awful hard on a person.

Carey: Hope all goes well for your daughter and she heals quick.

Finally got rain today and a lot to boot. The Rolling Stones concert tonight will not be a fun spot to be at, especially at $100 a pop!

Got the grass cut, weeds pulled and 20 lbs of beets boiled and peeled. Lisa's mom will be showing me the art of pickling them tomorrow. Love those pickled beets!

Actually got some more work done on the MR today as I planked the road bridge over the bridge abutments. All I need is a few more rain days.

Well that's it for moi.

Later All

Fergie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all, evening Ken,

Nice sunny day here with a fair amount of dew on the grass, it's scan day today, just getting breakfast and the kids sorted out. When i get back the big old oak tree's in for a kicking, i went up to take a look at some rot way up high and it's pretty bad, so it's gonna come down with a little help from the guy next door, it's a pity we don't have a log burner.
 
Steve We might put one in for next winter, so make them logs around 8" long cheers.

I've not seen or read any news on my shake this morning I must have dreamed it!!

Ken.
 


Morning Gang: Anyone know what happened accross the street? Page 1202 won't load. I get an error message. Anyway, here I go again. Another great day at work. With any luck I'll get alittle done on the Cliffs Shaft headframe. I got the windows cut in one more side yesterday. The 3mm PVC is tough to cut but does have the thickness that I need. I'm going to get some 1mm and 2mm maybe this week. The stuff is cheap, $12.50 and $21.00 for a 4ft x 8ft sheet. Can you say life time supply?
I'm off. I'll be back later.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top