Coffee Shop 15

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning.

It's 46 and partly cloudy here. The high is projected to be in the high 70's and it will be partly cloudy.

I put together a couple of trackside shacks and an old 2 stall engine house yesterday. Placing the larger structure meant relocating the fire station and the O.L. King and Sons building. The fire dept has been moved to the east side of the south engine house and now has an old rusty steamer on it's back lot while the O.L. King building is just to the immediate west side of the south engine house and east of the old brick engine house which the south engine house replaced. The brick engine house is now used for repairing freight cars and has a single track going into it. Several minor structures were also shifted. Ezra's house is now atop the garage of his service station. The old Sundown freight station has been moved to the service spur on the main part of the layout and Rodney Craig's house now occupies the spot vacated by the Sundown freight station. I'm still looking for a place to put the Freezee ice cream building. I've removed the glass enclosure from the front of it as it looked too much like an old McDonald's building for my taste. Now that everybody is thoroughly confused it's time to move on to new business. Exactly what that will be is a mystery even to me as todays schedule is open.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/18/2009


Wind Chill: 46°F
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 44°F

So Far Today
High: 50°F
Low: 46°F
Rain: 0.01"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 78 Mostly sunny. Patchy dense fog early in the morning. Highs in the upper 70s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 52 Mostly clear until late night then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN0725.jpg
 
Good Morning--Back outside to do more yardstuff. Highs of 13C. Lows of 6C--today we have a 40% chance of showers---big whooop.

Chris We do that mulch thing a lot up here--especially with the meadow/cottage gardens in the front. Hence preparing mulch is a dang good thing to do--we don't quite get the termites to the same extent---BUUUTT--

Well gotta go out back and get some more work done--No client visits this week as all phoned in ill---OOPS!
 


Hi all,

I'm luvin' this spell of mild weather my region is having! Of course that means the grass will start growing again and all the outdoor chores will need to be done.

I know I haven't posted in here that much the past week. 2 reasons - first, I'm busy as **** at the office [a good thing in this economic climate], so I get very little 'recreational' online time there; and second, I'm totally focused on that Merchants Row project. It keeps on getting more complex than I first imagined. The latest thing I did was install some very crude floors and walls in the interior - I didn't want anybody to look all the way thru the building and be able to see light from the opposite side, that would kinda spoil the effect. Now I'm at the point of making up the decals for the 3 remaining buisnesses (two actually, one of them is vacant/for lease). I'm trying to figure out a way to fit all the signs/logos on a single 8.5-by-5.5 sheet of Testors decal paper and have them all be in the correct scale (fixing one sign throws off all the others). Lots of trial-and-error required. But it sure would be nice if I could have it done in time to post some pics of it in the upcoming WPF thread.

Chris - bummer about your wife's work being cut! I wonder if Management will actually go with the "poison pill" chosen by the most workers, or make their own decision anyway? I sometimes wonder if these are simply "feelgood" ploys to prevent uprisings. In my situation the upper management has doubled my workload but not given my group the funding for the necessary resources (additional people, upgraded computing hardware).

James - How u been? Guess your summer's almost ended down under, time to get back to the train room!

Have a good'un..!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the new's clip on the State pay cut's!

Workers face furloughs,
pay cuts

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/hillsborough/job_security_031809

And here's what's going on with my job,

Pasco wants budget and service input from residents

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/article984829.ece

So both of us are in limbo not knowing what the future will hold for us?:o These cut's can run like a turtle or like a rabbit, I have the feeling they all ready know what they are going to do. But they must make it look good and ask the public anyways:rolleyes:before they make with the scissors:rolleyes: O'well our fate is in Gods hands now...:);) Until then we're not going to pull our hair out worring about something theres noting we could do about.


Karl/BOC, Where I live termite out number every lifeform living in florida combined. So a termite invasion on one's home is always a threat, smart people down here pretreat all mulches with Talstar or similar Termiteside.
 

O'well our fate is in Gods hands now...:);) Until then we're not going to pull our hair out worring about something theres noting we could do about.
.


Chris, Yous should go to those meetings and make some well thought out points. Remember, God helps those who help themselves! :)
 
Chris, Yous should go to those meetings and make some well thought out points. Remember, God helps those who help themselves! :)

yes, I could go.....My knife does have a very sharp point!......but with my mouth and temper I just might speed the firing too:D Some times my mouth over loads my brain!:D I got's one spoiled high income Baseball leauge and raking clay is beneath them:rolleyes: I heard later this evening their going to meeting to make sure we stay:rolleyes: worse case for me will be transfer:confused: I hope......:o
 
03-19-2009

Good Morning ! from TIPTON IN:eek:
TIPTONDEPOT-1.png
menu_breakfast_1.png
Diner.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
waitress3.png


;):):mad::eek:
 


PC/ Ken : I've been around, just too busy through summer to get onto MR'ing forums. :) I bought the 102 track plans book, and am going to build the 10' 6" x 3' N scale plan, I can't remember the name of it or the plan # but it's supposed to be a town in PA. I think. I can't find the mag at the moment.

I decided on that plan because I have something manageable to build and enjoy in the limited space, and it's ideal for my other thing, Photography! :D

I hope to get started in a few weeks, once I receive my $900 tax free bonus from PM Kevin Rudd. It will be going in my room, and i'll be altering the look to a more midwest feel so my BNSF and UP stuff will fit. :)

Pretty much it from me. Should be on here a bit more regularly now that its going into the cooler months.
 
Good morning folks

It was 44 F as I rolled out of the driveway this morning. High today will be 50 F and we supposed to be getting some rain.

We took the Cub Scouts to the high school pool last night. All the boys worked on their Swimming Belt Loop and the Webelos earned their Aquanaut Activity Badges.

I looked over the boxcars and stockcars sitting on the workbench ready to weather. I have to add the brake wheel to one boxcar and change the road number on two cars before I start weathering.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning.

It's 48 and clear. The high should be in the upper 70's and it will be partly cloudy.

Got a bunch of work done on the low end industry on the extreme south end of the layout yesterday. It only served to point out how much work still lies ahead (*groan*). I don't envision getting much done today. I have an appointment with the foot doc at 2 pm so that's gonna pretty well trash the afternoon. I went yesterday to look at the 'completed' layout of another modeler. It was good but hardly what I would term as complete. Structures set out with gaps visible at the bottom, majority of the scenery was grass mat and the background was a haphazard collection of cutup photos that varied in size. The layout was built primarily for running with very little emphasis on operation or switching and was severely lacking in interesting scenery. I made some suggestions to the builder/owner on how to improve it, all of which he eagerly wrote down in a small notebook. I gave him a short one on one lesson on how to close up the gaps at the bottom of the structures with a quick application of the proper scenic material, a little alcohol and some 50/50 water/glue mix. I then showed him how to dramatically improve the backdrop imagery. With the availability of pictures on the internet it's not hard to piece together a good looking background image. This in no way made him think that I was putting his efforts down. The entire purpose of my presence there was to show him how to improve what he had already done. He had taken one look at my layout and decided that his needed some real help. That's quite a compliment when you consider that mine is nowhere near complete. I'll be going back there in a couple of weeks for a two hour session to teach him more about how to lay out and build up scenery. Just putting some blended turf and clump foliage on the grass mat made a dramatic improvement.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/19/2009


Wind Chill: 48°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 47°F

So Far Today
High: 57°F
Low: 48°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 78 Mostly sunny early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Highs in the upper 70s. North winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 52 Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P3180078.jpg
 
Good Morning --We're going to a high of 2C today with a mix of sun/cloud. and the chance of snowflurries----:eek::rolleyes:

I'm glad I got all the preliminary yard work done--one of the tree shredder guys I know came down last evening and we dealt with all the branches and other gubbage that covered everything up. Now, over the next few days I've got to see about the front yard and it's set of issues.:)

Jeff At the rate you're developing you could end up being a MRR landscape design specialist!:):) That AND a teacher!:):)

James S. What part of Australia are you in?

Chris I'm sort of known for yapping/shooting first:eek::eek: and asking questions later:(:confused:---I too should know better!!:)
As for those tent cities--a friend of mine's greatgrandfather, who passed away just recently, kept telling us stories about the hobos that would go by his farm that he had at the time. I'm almost thinking that we may see a lot more of this again if this keeps up--:eek::confused:

Ken Your Merchant's Row sounds like my dang atrium--they both insist on mutating!:eek::):) Right now I'm setting the two front corner buildings up with separate floors--and I'm looking for thick enough paper to 'black out' some windows as well--So much fun----:):):rolleyes:

Well, gotta go --have a good'un!!:):D
 
Good Morning everyone!:)
We have another warm Spring day for us in T-town, beautiful weather in the 70's all week (almost scary).
I've been hard at it building signals. I finally completed eight, pole type, 3 light signals and two signal bridges, one with 4 signal heads and the other with 3. I only have one bridge connected and running, so today I will be busy running ribbon wire all over the layout along with making the connections. There is still a need to build about 10 more pole types.

In the meantime, I will be waiting on the man-in-brown to arrive about noon. It seems that Internet Hobbies decided to require a signature for my order. You know, I ordered from them a week ago this past Monday. I waited and waited for a notification for shipment and my status never changed from "ship in 2-3 days". I finally burned them an email Tuesday and said that their idea of days must be what I call weeks. Would you believe, they shipped my order that very afternoon...but never replied to my email. Makes you wonder what would have happened if I didn't send an email. Think I may not use them again:mad:.

Also, coming today is my tool order from HMC Electronics. In the order, is a wire stripper that will take care of wire gauge down to 30awg. Don't know how it work with Teflon coated wire, but its got to be better than what I have. Teflon wire is great by not giving you "shiners" (insulation pulling back) when you heat for soldering, but it is a pain in the rear for stripping.

We have had such warm days, we decided to let the boys use their private backyard pool. They had a blast: jumping in, splashing, running and jumping in again. It was fun to watch.:):D Also, the boys and I playing on our last camping trip.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The visit with the foot doc went semi OK. Seems I may have a cellulitis infection in my right leg just below the knee. He's got me on antibiotics for it. I gotta take them three times a day. I can tell right now that I won't be able to do much for the next couple of weeks but it's better than being in that darn hospital again.
 
I finally got around to posting the photos of my weekend trip to Sandwich IL. It is in the ANPL Coffee Shop. Thanks for peeking at them.
 
...

We have had such warm days, we decided to let the boys use their private backyard pool. They had a blast: jumping in, splashing, running and jumping in again. It was fun to watch.:):D Also, the boys and I playing on our last camping trip.

Nice pix Rex. I must say the boys are looking more like you everyday!
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top