Coffee Shop 15

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW: Jim word of advice and experience on the stump, "Hire a stump grinder!" Your friend is going to wreck his wench, truck and might hurt when that cable snaps! you also run a risk, if you can pull a stump out. The roots may have a hold of any water pipes Mains or irrigation! trust me Grind the stump out!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning guys! :D

Flo, How about that Country Fried steak & eggs!

Jim, I feel your pain on the waterleak issue. My trailer for transporting modules developed a small leak at 1 roof seam after 15 years. I dug out the dead sealer and noriced a little surface rust starting on the rest fo the roof:(. Out came the air sanders and off came the rust. After sealing the leak with GE Alex sealer, I recoated the entire roof with mobile home roof paint. It's a thick silvery-black coating that dries to a flat silver color and sticks to anything. That was 3 years ago and knock on wood (Ouch, my head!) not a drop since. As far as the market, I dunno, looks too scary :eek: to me!

Soldering irons. My 2 cents? Solder guns should be left alone, too big & cumbersome, Small Irons, ok if you like being strapped to a cord. I PREFER my butane irons ($19.95 Radio Shack) for everything! Soldering track joints, installing decoders, working on the cars, sealing shrink wrap, even soldering brass models. Just don't drop the darn things! Then they have a propensity to develop a leak at the control valve. Otherwise they are great! Useless? The small "Cold Solder type irons. They are basicly a miniature resistance soldering unit, but unless you can apply pressure to both parts to be soldered, they don't work. I took the batteries out of mine. I'm getting better use out of them in my NCE Radio throttle!

BOC, Lets see some pics of the Atrium !!!!!

Well, its 50 degrees, going up from there, the birds are chirping and there are new module frames in the shop! Gotta get goin!!
 
BTW: Jim word of advice and experience on the stump, "Hire a stump grinder!" Your friend is going to wreck his wench, truck and might hurt when that cable snaps! you also run a risk, if you can pull a stump out. The roots may have a hold of any water pipes Mains or irrigation! trust me Grind the stump out!

I have to agree. I just had 1 removed. Cost 75 bucks to grind out, and I got a huge pile of mulch left over from it!!:D
 


Mornin all!

Slept in, but now it's time to do some stuff around the house, so I'd best hit it!

72 degrees today, and pretty much all sun......I'm good with that!

Later!

Phillip, it must be much easier to banish that office riding the bike and chasing trains. Sounds like a great stress reducer. Must also be when God seems a little closer too. :D

Indeed it is! It's a great time to just chat with the throneroom.
 
I have to agree. I just had 1 removed. Cost 75 bucks to grind out, and I got a huge pile of mulch left over from it!!:D
I had one ground out too cost me 75! 30 mins. and done.............I'm in the wrong business:rolleyes: Takes me an hour to make that kinda money,,,LOL's
 
Soldering irons. My 2 cents? Solder guns should be left alone, too big & cumbersome, Small Irons, ok if you like being strapped to a cord. I PREFER my butane irons ($19.95 Radio Shack) for everything! Soldering track joints, installing decoders, working on the cars, sealing shrink wrap, even soldering brass models. Just don't drop the darn things! Then they have a propensity to develop a leak at the control valve. Otherwise they are great! Useless? The small "Cold Solder type irons. They are basicly a miniature resistance soldering unit, but unless you can apply pressure to both parts to be soldered, they don't work. I took the batteries out of mine. I'm getting better use out of them in my NCE Radio throttle!
I use a large soldering gun because it's much easier for me to hold it. Those small irons give me no end of problems due to my hands being numb because of nerve damage. My 2 cents on the 'cold heat' soldering irons, don't waste your money.
 
Good morning Flo!
Since Rex has not been in this morning, put my cup of coffee on his tab, too.
He will never notice my little bit with all the other steak and egg tabs.
Oh, put a nice tip on there for yourself, too. Rex is not a cheapskate like me!

I'm been trying to get my income taxes together for the last week. Looks like I'll get a few bucks back from Uncle Sam and a few cents back from the State of Alabama. I had to itemize my state return, medical mileage was a pain to figure. But, it made the swing to a refund.

Anyone got big plans to expand their layout on this year's tax refund?

Well, the temp is over 70 degrees F, so I need to go wash a couple cars.

Don't forget Daylight Savings Time changes tomorrow. Would want anyone late for lunch!:)
 
Hi all,

Flo, gimme your Mexican Feista Special and put it on Rex's tab. Probably can't finish the whole thing but hey, gotta take advantage of an opportunity while it lasts!:D

Just comin' up for air since I've been in the trainroom all day painting that Merchants Row. Getting close to the home stretch now, maybe I'll even finish it [the painting, not the decals and signs] this weekend.

Mikey - I would have been able to do some significant mrr improvements with part of my tax refund, except the gov't decided that my wife and I make too much money so they yanked one of our Child Tax Credits!:mad: We only got half of what we got last year. Still better than owing money back I suppose...

BOC - I '2nd' the call for pix of your atrium!

Toodles
 
I just got back from fleamarket hunting with Audrey and boy--the kitchen will get more storage in it this time--1920's Hoosier cabinet. We got one already but felt another one will fit in --just so we have more pantry space---WE DO NOW heeheehee:p:p

Talked with buddy about winching it out --we's be doing the grinding instead--checked dripline measurement--might work just grinding although not sure how far down one can, or should for that matter, go.:confused::confused:

As for pix of atrium--I'm looking at getting those up in about a week and a bit--so maybe about 10 days--as it is I'm collecting some of the scribblings and stuff so I have something of a log around. Does anyone know how well PB works with this forum?--Or do I need another account? or ?:confused::confused:
 
...
As for pix of atrium--I'm looking at getting those up in about a week and a bit--so maybe about 10 days--as it is I'm collecting some of the scribblings and stuff so I have something of a log around. Does anyone know how well PB works with this forum?--Or do I need another account? or ?:confused::confused:
BOC - I post my own PB image links on this forum all the time, it works fine for me! Like this one:

EastMinisterHwy7.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I had one ground out too cost me 75! 30 mins. and done.............I'm in the wrong business:rolleyes: Takes me an hour to make that kinda money,,,LOL's

Chris, have you seen the price tag for one of those machines!:eek: 75 is a bargain!

Ken, I've been to that grade grossing before!!!:D

Went to one of my fav not-so-local hobby shops today (Tommy Gilberts in Gettysburg) to get a new center driver for a Mantua Pacific,, some stock brass and some trailers to fill some spine cars. Then then drove to Hanover to eat at Sonic. For some reason there are none in MD. :confused: OMG it was good! The wife & son were amused by the carhops bringing food & stuff out to the cars. They had never seen it before! Then off to WallyWorld for a few items, (turned in to 6 bags of stuff), then SuperShoes for a new pair of hightop fishheads for Jr. I must be getting old. I remember when they sold for 7 bucks a pair, tonight I paid 35!:eek:
Tomorrow I'm installing the new motor in a dead Spectum Consolidation, and putting new drivers in the Pacific and watching Nascar. Well, thats what I'm planning.........well see! :cool:
 
Evening, everyone.

Mikey, I hate daylight saving time. Seems to take about a week to get my body to adjust. It's even worse since they changed the date so now it just sneaks up on me. :)

Jeffrey, sounds like a nice little haul there. Now I know where Frankenengine came from. :D

BOC, short selling is not for the faint of heart but I don't see much other opportunities in today's market. As long as you've got the position collared on the up and down side, you won't lose much money and stand to make a fair bit as long as this administration continues to pound the market into the ground. That's pretty neat that you have bald eagles nesting in your area. We have a pair of red-tailed hawks in the woods behind the house and they have a gigantic nest. And yes, stump grinding is the way to go. Yanking on a tree stump with a winch is good way to ruin a perfectly good winch and truck while the stump stays firmly in the ground. Don't ask me how I know this. :rolleyes:

Chris, it's sort of sad to be talking to stock brokers that don't even remember the savings and loan crisis of 1981-82. Most of these "kids" have never seen bad times and are going to be thrown in the deep end of the pool this time. I think most of them will do OK but there are a lot more sissies around now than when my mom and dad lived through the Depression.

Karl, I need to get some Eternabond tape, rip everything off the seams down to bare metal, and take all the cracking sealant off around all the roof intrusions. Then it's just a matter of getting everything clean and laying down the tape, which costs about $3.50 a foot. :eek: The tough part is that I have no place to work out of the sun and this is a three day job. If the economy was better, I'd just take it to our local RV place and have them do it but I can do it for about half the price. I guess I can set up some lights and work at night if I have to. The Eternabond tape is expensive but, once you get it down, it's good for about 20 years. The constant sun here in the summer will destroy any other sealant in a few years. Once every 20 years is enough for me.

Phillip, if posting at 8:45 am means you "slept in", you and I have a different schedule. ;) About 10 in the morning is just right for me.

Ken, you and your wife just worked too hard last year so, to reward you, we have to take some deductions away from you. This will encourage you to work even harder this year so you lose more deductions and pay the Alternative Minimum Tax. I mean, this is only fair, right? SOME PEOPLE IN WASHINGTON ACTUALLY BELIEVE THE ABOVE MAKES SENSE!

It was a beautiful day here, sunny with a high of 83. Rex picked a great week for camping. No snow or tornados on the horizon either so I'm in tall cotton right now. The bad part is that god weather = yard work so I'll be weeding and mulching for the next couple of days.
 
Good morning from Ye Olde London Towne.
String has really sprung. The streets are lined with crocus and daffodils at the moment. Tis a chilly 6c (41f) this morning and only going up to 10c (50f).

Finally had a day to myself for some modelling. Dropped into the Signal Box for a look and only really needed a couple of lengths of WS track bed. Came out £60 down with a half box of Peco code 83 and some #7 switches for the test track. Realised on the way home that I don't have any suitable rail joiners. Oops. With other commitments it will be 3 weeks before I can get back to the shop for some. :mad:

Today will be work related as I've got a b*gger of a week ahead and need to stay on top of things.

Have a good week all.
 
Good Foggy Morning from Cantseeadangthingville--we're a foggy 2C with the high going to 5C and we're expecting a lot more rain today.

Got some modelling planned for today as there is nothing else being planned for outdoor stuff. I just saw the Eagle this morning scouting abouts----

Flo--I'll have a breakfast platter with a bucket of raw caffeine please---I'll sit by the window here and watch Sunday wake up----------
 
Good morning.

It's 67 and cloudy. The high should be around 80 and it will be partly cloudy.

Spent about an hour yesterday working on what on some other forums is universally being called the GD30J. This was mostly to get the GP30 body seated firmly on it's new 6 axle frame. Being I'm not sure if the frame is from Kato or Atlas I would say this is now an Athelas GD30J or a Kathearn GD30J or just some kind of kit bashed conglameration that up to now had been residing somewhere in the dark recesses of the back of my mind. I wouldn't mind having better side frames for it but as somebody once said you're stuck with what you've got. Much of the middle of the day was spent mowing my parents yard. My father got a new battery for the old tractor since I prefer using it over the new one. It's a simple question of math. A machine with a 60" cut gets the job done faster than one with a 46" cut, even if the smaller one can get into a few more places. Maybe soon I'll have time to work on some other projects.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/8/2009


Wind Chill: 66°F
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 63°F

So Far Today
High: 68°F
Low: 66°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 23mph NNE

Today High: 82 Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the mid 60s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN0603.jpg
 
Hey guys

Well, yesterday we went to the fair! Had fun:D :D see my post on it... enjoy!

Hope you guys are doing well,

Jim, I don't know what to tell ya other than "Oil up the shot gun;)"
 
Dreary day here in the heartland. Warm temps but cloudy with a smattering of rain. Went out to burn a pile of limbs left over from last years walnut detreeing my neighbor and I did but must have been to wet even with a mixture of used motor oil and diesel fuel did not start a flame of a lasting nature. So back inside to do what ever my lil ole heart desires. Hope each of you have a great weekend. I hates daylight savings time I have a very hard time adjusting and if they did a study to see if daylight savings time saved money they would be greatly disappointed. I think a study has been made since Indiana just started that crap and the study probably showed them that money was not saved but we will never know. I think is is a conspiracy but that is just my way of thinking.
 
Last edited:
About 1:20 I had to take off to a grass fire just a 1/4 quarter mile from here. Looked like someone was trying to burn a patch of weeds out of their fence and it got away. Being there's a steady 13 mph south wind that's no real surprise.
 


It's Alive!!!!! (for now!)

Gang,
After a lot of cursing and grumbling. I finally got the new motor installed in the Spectrum 2-8-0 that fried last week. :D In addition to a fried motor, I found 4 places in the motor harness that were chaffed through the insulation.:( The way the wiring layout is set up, it's a wonder it didn't catch fire somewhere along the way. I'm also amazed that it didn't hurt the Tsunami in some fashion like that! And putting the thing back together after disassembly is like Chinese Algebra!:mad: Putting that little timing belt looking hoozit back on is a real scream!:eek: I've never been so exasparated by a steamer before, and I've built quite a few Mantua and Bowser kits (R.I.P) and repaired/repowered several brass steamers too. The end result??
I've made a promise to myself. NO MORE PLASTIC STEAM
Most of what I want in steam isn't available in brass (the 2-8-0's were just cheap stand ins for Western Maryland H-9's) and the Botchman decapod looks nice, but the same guts as the 2-8-0. So when they die, they get tossed in favor of Sunset Brass decapods. A little more costly, but just as nice, and here's the big part, I CAN WORK ON THEM WITHOUT CURSING!: :eek::mad::eek: Now if anyone ever comes out with a WM Potomac in plastic, I might be tempted, but till then, I'll stay with brass!
Thanks for letting me jump up on the soapbox. Flo, a little decaf please? :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top