Coffee Shop 15

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
HI Fellows! Wow, what a soaking we are getting today. So far, we have had over 3.5 inches since mid-morning and going for more. Had a couple of tornado warnings that didn't produce anything we know of yet: mostly buckets of rain, thunder and lightning. Half my depot floor got a soaking since the roof run-off backed up from all the leaves and stuff. Everything is ok and I will just have to drag out the carpet runners for drying. Not the first time:D.

Jeff: It's good the guy tamped the fill dirt when filling your trenches. So many arond here just shove the dirt in and take off. Then you get bridging under the harder top, allowing surface water to enter your lines/tank.

Larry: I love Comcast Internet, but hate their TV. I get the local channel only package which discounts the Internet, saving about $20. We use DirectTV for our idiot box.

Karl: Now I know where they get those little corn ears that you buy in a can.:D:D Dang fellow, looks like you did a good job. That background tassle thing: maybe if darkened a tab to match the other and stiffled with a brush. (heck, I ain't no artist...just thinking:eek:) Really good work...but, better you than me...I'll stick with the itty-bitty LEDs. :D

Chris: I agree whole heartedly. Dang, we played with taped up broken bats, taped baseballs that have had the hide fall off. When we got into organized ball, we were happy just to have cut grass and bags. Don't know how many lumps on my face and head from bad hops caused by...nothing more than the ball. You know what......we had a wonderful time and I cherish the memories....AND the parents kept their danged mouths SHUT!
 
Had one of those days today---lonely petunia client fell today before I got to clients home. I had to 911 then had to do first aid. Found they were doing well at the hospital though-----I get to spend weekend doing more atrium work so hopefully I'll be posting on next weeks WPF---

Karl I think the pix look fine---3 foot rule works for those very well.
 
A good wet evening, everyone.

Had a day like Rex only not quite as much rain. Lots of severe storms and a few small tornados that apparently just went through the woods and didn't hit any buildings. I'll bet the tornado sirens went off 10 times today. We had storms that were just on the far northern corner of our country but, if the NWS mentions Autuaga County, they set off the sirens everywhere, even when there's no chance the storm will hit Prattville. I talked to the EMA lady about this when I took athe storm spotters class and she said they didn't have the software to just set of sirens in certain parts of the county. They are set off by a radio signal and I'll bet I could write a program in a half hour that would only set off sirens by area. The sirens go off so many times that people just ignore them or panic, not the desired effect. Most of the severe stuff seems to have settled down for now but more storms are forming up to the west so it looks like it's going to be a long night.

Jeffrey, glad to hear that your foot is doing better and that the dirt mover did a good job. Like Rex said, half the time they don't compact it properly and then you have trouble a couple of years down the line.

BOC, it's good you got there after your client fell. I'm sure she appreciates your good work. That atrium sound like it should be stunning when you're done.

Rex, we're up to an inch and a half since I talked to you. Looks like your neck of the woods might have some flash flooding tonight since the focus of the storms seems to be around Interstate 20.

Karl, sounds like you did a good job at least getting to the problem and not wrecking anything. Bachmann has always had really good customer service so I'm sure you'll get the motor right on time. Too bad you have so much work into it or they would have fixed or replaced it for free. That corn field looks fantastic! Perfect background scene. That's one of those projects that's only worth the effort when you're done. :)

Chris, I'm old enough to remember what Rex is talking about. Any vacant lot and something that resembled a ball and bat worked for us. We usually didn't even have enough gloves that we didn't have to swap as we went in for our ups. I always felt lucky any time I slid into base and didn't come up with a leg full of broken glass or rusty nails. :D In this day and age, though, it can't be anyone's fault if they make a mistake so it must be your lousy job making the field right.

Phillip, I'm amazed we haven't lost power or phone with the amount of lightning we've had. How's your wife doing?

Nathan, any day you can chase trains is a good day no matter what the power.

Tom, I sure hope the Obama stimulus plans helps you out. It sure hasn't done much for me. :mad: Apparently the Citigroup bailout isn't quite what the market wanted to see since the S&P had it's worst February in history and the overall market had the worst February since 1933. I don't know what kind of smoke and mirros they have instore for AIG on Monday but it better be good or we're in for a real market collapse. The market is down 2,000 points since Obama was inaugurated. This wasn't exactly the "change" I was hoping for.:eek:

I'm just hoping for some sleep tonight without the weather radio going off all the time. On top of everything else, it looks like it will be cold enough Saturday night for some snow. Alabama has some weird weather. :confused:
 


Jim, BOC, Rex, Larry Thanks for the encouragement on the corn! Yes, the 3 foot rule DOES apply here. Especially when you consider that these are the FCSME show modules, and most viewers are going to be 5+ feet away! I think I may play a bit with a small fan brush and some colors tomorrow, after my morning R.R. guest leaves. I'm giving him an NCE "road test" with the Radio throttle. I'm certain he'll end up buying one. Now to talk to the LHS about my kickback, er, a, um,,,, COMMISSION!! ;)

Wow, the place looks funny here. The basement is all neat, skirts on the layout, tools put away, its odd. Wife cleaned the upstairs, and I got 5 bucks that says you wont be able to tell tomorrow night after the grandsons leave!!:eek:;):D Oh what the heck, they're only kids once!

Speaking of kids, Chris I can remember being 9 or 10 and playing in the streets of Baltimore, where a bad hop had more to do with the fender of a car rather than a pebble on the baselines! I remember going to my one Son's games and hearing some kids Mom whine about how hard the ground was. I told her it had to be that way, so that she wouldn't sink:eek:. Thank God her kid was on the other team!!!:D

Flo, a big bowl of Vanilla Ice Cream dear, it'll help me fall asleep tonight.;)
 
02-28-2009

Good Morning ! from TIPTON IN:eek:
TIPTONDEPOT-1.png
menu_breakfast_1.png
Diner.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
waitress3.png


Blowdown.JPG


:):rolleyes::confused::cool:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning.

It's 69, cloudy and windy. The high today will be around 60 and there's a chance of rain.

Got some work done on the observation car yesterday. I thought about what to use to cover the windows besides aluminum foil without it looking tacky when the answer was staring me in the face the whole time. It's a Rivarossi car. It has a plastic surround that serves as window glass as well as holding the roof on. It was a simple matter to paint this surround in varying shades of gray, black and rust so that when it's in place the windows look as if metal panels were welded on the inside. Here's a photo showing how it looks.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN0562.jpg

This way I don't have to worry about any external panels (or internal for that matter) being broken off due to handling, falls, etc .

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/28/2009

Wind Chill: 59°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 57°F

So Far Today
High: 70°F
Low: 61°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 12mph N

Now through 07:00 AM CST February 28, 2009

A band of scattered showers...associated with a cold front...will affect locations from Kirbyville northeast to Glenmora and Marksville. This band is moving southeast around 20 mph...and is expected to reach a line from Deweyville to Kinder to Ville Platte through 7 AM. Rainfall will be light with amounts less than one tenth of an inch.

Today High: 62 Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers in the morning. Cooler. Highs in the lower 60s. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph.

Tonight Low: 32 Mostly clear. Much colder. Lows in the lower 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P1010815.jpg
 
Karl, Jim, and Rex... The days of just having fun are all but gone:( I'm glad I'm not in the park when Games are going on:). The things we hear that filter down to us is scary:eek:. (Groundskeeper story time), 4 years ago the leauge had a one week summer traing camp at our park for the kids. the Camp had a few collage kids and one pro ball guy teaching(don't remember his name). One day they we're having a scrimage game on field two, the teams had kids aged from 8-10 years old playing. the second base man was a kid named Vinny, Vinny was good player. Vinny was knee high to a grass hopper, also he was wearing a cup two sizes to big. He walked around that place like he had the stuff to fill that cup.LOL's Then there was the third baseman he was not so hot. the third baseman kept missing the ball when it came by. Vinny was always yelling at him. Well the ball passes the third baseman again, Vinny exploded at the third baseman and threw his glove at him yelling at the top of his voice, "YOU COULDN'T CATCH A WHORE EVEN IF YOU HAD A FIST FULL OF TWENTYS!" :eek:Then Vinny told the kid to stand in left field and Vinny took over Third base.:eek: The parents and coaches just laughed and the coaches just yelled at Vinny, "VINNY PLAY NICE!":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now, my son has played football and now playing Tennis this year in his Jr. high schools team's. Man the things I see:eek::eek: I see things as Groundskeeper and as a Parent, IMO it ain't the kids as much as it is with the coaches and parents they learn this crap from! I think Parents should be banned from seeing thhe game's so the kids can enjoy the game and just have fun!:)

Our world is changing!
 
Good Morning--right now we are sitting at -15C with a windchill of -22C but we are SUNNY and with that Sun we're going to get up to -4C for our high. In fact, we'll be sunny until Wednesday by the look of things----:D:D

Chris It's the same with the hockey up here---parents blowing up at the kids or refs. The language used in front of the kids in these hoohahs is amazing!!:eek::eek: And then the same parents sit and complain about the kids using the language.:confused::mad: Well duh!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:The other issue I see is that many parents plan these kids activities too much--the kids get bored, get cranky--lose interest etc and now we are seeing reports of the kids getting burnt out?!:eek::confused::(. YEEESH.And this is what is called Quality Time--:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Karl She might be related to this guy up here that used to go around blaming the Geophysics dept at the university of creating these earthquakes we sometimes get:eek::rolleyes: You do sometimes have to educate these people you know---some went through high school without once taking any science courses--the poor dears:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, I've got some running around today to do. I've got to pick up some more blue stuff at Home Desperate and some more caulking and some this that and the other thing---and the Honey Do list showed up. I might get some RR pix made up seeing that I got some good sized bridges to get them from --:):);)
 
Good morning folks.

I was talking to my father last night and learned a few things that are worth pursuing. I was telling him about my progress in building the Red Jacket Trestle when he told me that he thinks my family had a hand in building it! I knew our family was involved in railroads, but I thought it was out east somewhere. Apparently, they lost a ton of money in the market crash of the late 1800's. Prior to that, they owned a few start up railroads in southern Minnesota. I'll definitely have to consult my aunt on this one. She's the family historian, if you will. Oh, apparently Daniel Willard, President of the B&O railroad, was a relative of mine as well. Funny things you can learn in a casual conversation! Wouldn't that be funny if my family used to own the very bridge I'm modeling? Granted, they could have just been share holders of some sorts, but it's fun to think about.:cool:

I'm going to a buyers trade show this weekend. Walking amongst sales reps makes me realize how a pretty woman feels as she walks through the room. You feel like a piece of meat! Oh well, I'm there to keep the owner in line.:)

I hope you all have a safe and rain free weekend!
 
FYI


18th Annual Muncie Model Train Show!
Presented by the Muncie and Western Model Railroad Club

Saturday, February 28th, 2009
11am until 4pm

Delaware County Fairgrounds
1210 North Wheeling Avenue,
Muncie, Indiana 47303

$4 per adult, Children 12 and under admitted free
FREE PARKING!!!

-All scales/gauges for sale, 200 vendor tables, test track.
-Model trains, Books, DVDs, Parts, Memorabilia.
-Operating Layouts in all scales/gauges.
-Circus Train Memorabilia.
-Food for sale onsite by local Boy Scouts!

Proceeds benefit the Muncie Children's Museum
 


Dang it, just lost power for abour two minutes and lost all my long reply. Shoot! Suffice to say that it was a long night and more tornados developed about 6:30 am. One just went south of the house although I could see the funnel cloud. Didn't do any damage here but did a considerable amount of damage in the counties east of us. No serious injuries or deaths that have been reported so far, thank goodness. Now it looks like snow for tonight and tomorrow morning.

Hope everyone is having a good day.
 
Afternoon!

Seems like a long day today. Got up a little too late, but managed to get some lunch with my sister and brother in law, and helped move some stuff in the garage.

Later tonight I have a birthday to go to. Local man is turning 100 years old. He is one of the founding members of Jaycee's in this town so I am going as a representative for the group. Too bad none of our other members find it important. He has been involved in the community for as long as he has lived here, 100 years. He is also a current member in the Lion's Club, and as I was told, the oldest one alive in the United States.

After that my family is going bowling tonight. Kind of a small family reunion thing.
 
Well I had a productive day, I mowed a couple of lawns today and went to the LFS(Local Fish Store) in Oldsmar called Fish and other itchy stuff. They specialize in marine critters. I got my son one of these for his tank http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...ategory=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4 this pic isn't the greatest shot of a falco hawk. I also got me one of these http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...ategory=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4 in 72 hrs. when they properly settle in I'll post some pic's.


Jim go a head and retype your long reply:D.......................... I'll wait:D
 
PhillipHow was the Muncie Train Show?
I worked today building another deck inside the True Value to display our deck and patio furniture. Two areas out of stone, one deck is made from Correct Deck(a man made material $45 a 16' pc) and the other is being made out of treated lumber. Each area is 16' X 20' with about an eight foot octagon opening in the center. Going to be a pretty impressive display area.
 
Hello in here---I got done doing some running around trying to pick up more insulation foam and odds and such. Going to spend a bit of time tonight working up some plans for another elevator as well. Got about half of the atrium project pretty well finished so maybe I'll get some of that done as well, with any luck at all--ie; No Honey Do List shows up---:rolleyes:

Chris We have a couple of Red(?) Oscars here--like to move stuff around a lot--LOL!!!

Phil OH GEE!! Thanks for letting us know now!!LOL!!:D:D:rolleyes::p
 
Train show was OK. I know, I didn't gie anyone much heads up, ut then, I didn't have much either. It was good if you were into O scale. Lots of that there.

Jim, glad you're OK man!

Dan, I don't think our society gives enough credit to those who are more experienced in life. We see the media pushing youth on us all so much, but how does that old saying go? Youth is wasted on the young!
 
Jim, Chris and I have been waiting on your rewrite so long, now we are too full and he's too...well, happy. Chris, give me another one of those belly busters while I crack you another suds.

BTW: We ended up with 4.5 inches of rain.
 
Rex, 4.5 inches of rain?:eek:In 1 day? Better start gathering up animals, ya know, 2 x 2?

"And take some green alligators and long neck geese
Some humpty back camels and some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants but sure as you're born don't you forget my unicorn!"

(Only us old farts would remember that song!):cool:

Of course, I just went out to grab a little more firewood, and it's freakin snowing outside! :eek::eek::eek:

Was a fun day all in all, convinced yet another to go DCC with NCE, then right after he left the grandkids showed up. There is something about the excitement in a 3 year olds voice when he's halfway down the basement steps and he squeals " Oh boy, choo-choos!!!" Makes all the work worth it!

That was until a certain Pacific with an Akane tender decided to start shorting out the layout for no good reason.:mad: But a little quick diagnosis on my part led to a short in the tender trucks! The insulation at the journal boxes was failing intermittantly! They are sprung, and I guess they moved up and down 1 too many times!:o A quick swap with another set of trucks and it was back on the rails in no time. Yeah, bare brass trucks, but no shorts! And best of all, it didn't hurt the Tsunami at all!:D:D:D

The little guys like the noisemakers!!!!!;)

Well, night all, gotta do some running tomorrow, maybe convince the better half to make a "quick" stop at the LHS while were out!!!:D;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Rex, 4.5 inches of rain?In 1 day? Better start gathering up animals, ya know, 2 x 2?
Yup! In about 18 hours. The river is starting to flood low spots here and below Tuscaloosa will really catch it...much more flat lands. Thank goodness we have planned to camp at a state park on a LAKE this coming Thursday.
 


"Flo, I'll have a 24 oz. steak Large baked sweet potato with butter, sugar, and cinemon also a nice big fluffy salad with blue cheese dressing. and a pitcher of beer. followed by a big slice of apple pie. and put this on Andrews tad!" Andrews buying everyone!

Flo, I'll just have the dry ice to cool the chernobyl style meltdown my wallet is having. :D On second thought just hand me the rubber gloves and dish rag. If anyone wants me I'll be slaving over the dishwashing sink.

On to all the news that isn't. Managed to spend a wonderful Saturday with a good friend at 'Eurotrack' in Eastleigh. Its about a 200 mile round trip for me but well worth it. There were 75 displays ranging from layouts, demonstration stands, and traders. One group had even come from Hungary with a display of Hungarian HO locos and cars. There was also plenty of German, French, Austrian, and Scandinavian trains too. For me the real highlights was an N layout depicting a rail served pier, and an HO depot called simply 'Roundhouse'. Its one of those times when I wished I'd remembered to take my camera. D'oh. I also managed to grab a couple of items in the form of a MRL 50' box and a BN caboose.

Today will be spent carving up foam for the test track.

Have a good on all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top